Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why don't more airports offer decent pay lounges??

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why don't more airports offer decent pay lounges??

Search this Thread

Old Dec 11, 2012, 8:53 pm

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I hold a US club membership which also gets you into UA and other *A lounges. US offers day passes. In US lounges you get fee beer (bud, bud light, Heineken, and usually one other - full bottles). In UA you get similar beer and also certain liquours. It isn't just well liquours either. The other day they had dewars, Smirnoff, Jim beam, etc. also get free wine
Old Dec 11, 2012, 9:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I purchased my first lounge membership after doing the calculation of how much I was spending for snack and beverage plus tip in airport restaurants just to have a good place to sit/work/wait for flights. The IROPs handling and other service was a nice bonus, especially in the days before upgrades were so automated and regulated, when looking decent and asking nicely made a huge difference.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:21 pm

Originally Posted by WiscAZ
I hold a US club membership which also gets you into UA and other *A lounges. US offers day passes. In US lounges you get fee beer (bud, bud light, Heineken, and usually one other - full bottles). In UA you get similar beer and also certain liquours. It isn't just well liquours either. The other day they had dewars, Smirnoff, Jim beam, etc. also get free wine
Did this change with the merger with CO? When I was flying UA heavily I don't recall any of the alcohol being free. If so, change I can believe in.
Old Dec 11, 2012, 11:37 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Mosaic
Originally Posted by lancebanyon
Did this change with the merger with CO? When I was flying UA heavily I don't recall any of the alcohol being free. If so, change I can believe in.
I believe swill (Bud like beers) have been free for a while now, and was changed to be free even when RCCs were still RCCs (before the merger closed). CO always had them free.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 7:18 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum, HH Diamond, National Executive
I'm not positive as I just recently purchased the US pass. I talked to the bartender and he explained that they have a "free" side and a "premium" side. The premium side had things like jameson, crown royal, and others. It was nice to have a cocktail and not just a beer. Wish the US lounge was the same.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 11:13 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by moeve
As I have said before it isn't about the exit airport but more the lay over ones. I have a 4 hour one in Houston in July. Not enough to plaly the security game on the way back but since I am heading for an international flight it too long to sit at a pub before the next 10 hour flight.
Well since you are connecting in Houston I would assume you are flying United. You can purchase a day pass to the United Club for $50. Two of the lounges have showers.

http://www.united.com/web/en-US/cont...nge/rates.aspx

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
I purchased my first lounge membership after doing the calculation of how much I was spending for snack and beverage plus tip in airport restaurants just to have a good place to sit/work/wait for flights. The IROPs handling and other service was a nice bonus, especially in the days before upgrades were so automated and regulated, when looking decent and asking nicely made a huge difference.
I did the same calculation and determined that my club membership paid for itself. I also like the clean less used bathrooms.
Old Dec 12, 2012, 12:20 pm

This is a good point. I was without status for a period of time this year for the first time in many years. I spent lots of time in pubs and didn't really miss the lounge as much as I thought I would. Here in FRA some of the lounges (LH at A26 in particular) are practically standing room only at certain times of the day anyway.
I can vouch for that fact. AMS has the most rude customers of any lounge I have visited. They try and take up 2-3 seats for each individual and become extremely rude when you ask they take their baggage off the seat. But at 6'4", 260, I can usually get them to move....
Old Dec 13, 2012, 1:29 am
Original Poster

[QUOTE=prncess674;19843594]Well since you are connecting in Houston I would assume you are flying United. You can purchase a day pass to the United Club for $50. Two of the lounges have showers.

UA to LH and Terminal D doesn't have a lounge which offers a pay per option........ after security

However if you know something I don't I would appreiciate the tip.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 7:45 am
Hyatt Contributor Badge

UA to LH and Terminal D doesn't have a lounge which offers a pay per option........ after security

Terminal D is connected to the North concourse of Terminal C.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 9:20 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

The entire airport is connected inside security. No problem to go in to one of the UA lounges and then walk over to the LH gate.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.