Just offered a job that requires lots of travel

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just offered a job that requires lots of travel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:58 am

Originally Posted by tfar
+1 if all other things are equal. Number 1 priority in these times I'd look for would be job security. Number 2 would be benefits. Number 3 opportunity to climb within the company or use the job as a springboard for something better (understanding that you are still young). Number 4 would be job satisfaction.

Only in number 4 do your travels figure. The others have very well explained which kind of toll the road warrior life can take. Unless you really, really want to try it AND you are sure to be able to easily change the situation back to a "normal" life, I would go for the job with less travel that will still give you a good taste and status + miles.

Till
I agree with the comments above. I would personally rearrange the priority list a little bit: 1) Career development, 2) Compensation, 3) Stability, 4) Job satisfaction. However, I think those things change person to person.

I also think that the type of travel is incredibly important. My travel is almost exclusively international from the west coast so for me 1 week a month (25%) is perfect - sometimes it's even a little too much. Folks that are doing the domestic consulting thing and only working with 5 hour flights and 3 hour timezone shifts can probably double or triple what I do but have it "feel" the same from the relational/physical/mental/emotional perspective.

As others have mentioned, travel policy and support is also important. Our 40 person team has a full-time travel coordinator working for us that arranges all our our travel based on our preferences and is available virtually 24/7 to make changes on the fly. This is important when things take a turn for the worse and you're on the way to a meeting or boarding an airplane. Additionally, I could never do what I do without lie-flat seats.

Take those things away and managing/conducting your travel adds to your workload considerably.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 12:08 pm

Programs: AA-EXP, MR-PP
Originally Posted by DavidVIE
I did not know about geocaching, thanks for the hint! However, does it not take a whole lot of time to find these?
It depends. Sometimes are really difficult sometimes easy. You get terrain and difficulty levels to help you decide.
Old Nov 11, 2012, 5:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WN CP, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by brendog
YMMV, however, and you might prefer to rot away in a cube/office with mind-numbing commutes twice a day.
Well, yeah, since I always worked for myself and am part-time now that does not apply. No rotting here, ever.

Last edited by toomanybooks; Nov 11, 2012 at 5:15 pm
Old Nov 11, 2012, 7:49 pm
ffI

Programs: AA EXP2M, DL 1MM DM ext, UA PP <=> HH G/Marr PE/Hyatt G/IHG P FT RA ( Recovering Addict)
Originally Posted by AA_EXP09
There are also rich people (earning 100K+) that don't know how to use money very well.
I thought the rich were those earning 250k and needed to be taxed more.
Have we all become rich(er) suddenly?
Originally Posted by Zaynab
I travel a lot TATL, but I told my employer (i.e. me) that I would never travel TATL in Y again. Employer (i.e. me) accepted grudgingly. What helps is that European income taxes are about 50%, so our IRS pays half of ticket.
Just so you know from this side of the pond, our taxes are over 55%
Just the social security and medicare is 15% for the self employed
Add the 28% Fed tax and often the state and local taxes add up to 10% and you can get to 43% min to 63% or so for the better off earning >100k or so.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 6:37 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by iztok
Another trick to make travel more interesting is:

1. Geocaching - you will see city from a different perspective
2. Running - planning a run ahead of time or asking front desk at the hotel to help you. You will see area differently.
I'll add another +1 to both of these items...been doing both during "non-work time" while business traveling for years. And you'll be amazed how much more smoothly your interactions with the "local" folks in your various office locations will be when you can cite local attractions (restaurants, parks, trails) during those conversations. (The typical reaction is "How do YOU know about that place? You don't live here...")
Old Nov 12, 2012, 7:21 am

Programs: Marriott Rewards, Delta SkyMiles
I have been doing this for 8 years. The nature of my job (systems consultant) means I may be in one place 6 months travelling week in/week out or I may bet at home, or a combination. Here is what I have found:

Pros:
- Get to see parts of the world (ok - just US and Canada so far) that I probably wouldn't otherwise.
- Points and miles. Outside of my room at Walt Disney World (we like staying on property), I can count on one hand the number of nights I have paid out of pocket for a hotel room or airplane ticket for vacation.
- Meeting new people. I have met many people over the years that I still maintain friendships with.

Cons:
- Travelling week in/week out gets old. Quickly.
- When travelling that much, your home life devolves into that 48 hours you are home (I travel M-F).
- Sleeping can be an issue (damn you new mattress).
- Maintaining diet/exercise plans is VERY difficult.
- Loneliness.

Like I said before, I have been doing this for 8 years. Over that time, I have accumulated just shy of 475K miles with Delta and 671 nights with Marriott. That averages out to about 25% per year. I have been on the road for nine months straight, while this year I have only travelled maybe 8 times all year.

My best gig was in Omaha, NE. 2.5 years of every other week travelling, working from home on the off week. I knew my schedule and could schedule personal appointments when I wanted. Met some really great people, and got to see the College World Series 3 years in a row (RIP Rosenblatt).

To try and beat off the boredom, I try to find things to do in whatever city I am in. I like sports, and every new city I go to I see what teams maybe nearby. Because of my job I have seen the Chicago Blackhawks, Carolina Hurricanes, Chicago Cubs, Chicago White Sox and Colorado Rockies. I have also seen the Kane County Cougars, Sacramento River Cats, Nashville Sound, Bridgeport Sound Tigers and many others.

My wife has been tremendous. I had to talk her into me taking the job all those years ago, and admittedly she was not happy early on. But she knows how much I do love my job, and she supports me 100% in what I do. Plus, the miles and points and hotels we have stayed at (JW Marriott in Vegas) help too .

My best advice is to try and envision yourself in the job. How do you think you will feel doing all that travelling and being away from home? Can you and/or your gf put up with that? Then make your decision and GOOD LUCK!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 8:55 am
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
If the OP is leaving late morning/early afternoon Sunday and coming home late Friday night after putting in 10-12 work days the relationship with the GF is likely to become very problematic, along with many other things in the OP's life (like trying to schedule doctors appointments, get clothes cleaning done, take care of house needs, etc.)
+1, this type of repeated, heavy travel nearly cost the Mrs & I our marriage.

While I did find it exciting always going to new destinations and Lord knows the Mrs & I took many a trip where most lodging/rental car was covered by the company thus seeing lots of the US on the company's dime, the heavy travel takes a big toll on personal relationships.

To the OP, if this girlfried is "the one" then I suggest thinking twice about taking the heavy travel job. Otherwise, TRAVEL ON !!!:-:
Old Nov 12, 2012, 10:27 am

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
I took a new position with my company in June of this year, going from no travel to 50-75% travel for much of the remainder of the year (although it is slowing down a bit towards the end of the year). I'm actually on a plane as I type this.

Lot's of good advice so far. I'm married for 21 years and my kids are both in high school. It would be much more difficult if my kids were younger, and my wife wasn't a teacher with the same time off as my kids. She travelled 75% when we were first married for her earlier job and before we had kids, so she knows what the road is like. That helps.

My trips are usually to one of three domestic cities that have a lot going for them. It helps that I can make my own travel schedule, so I can plan time at home for different family events. My company does a really nice job of taking care of those of us that travel - the importance of that can't be underestimated. I've made friends with other people from other companies that travel and frequently stay at the same hotels I do; we'll e-mail each other to arrange dinners out away from the hotel, and I find myself looking forward to seeing them when in town. I've hit Platinum on AA and Diamond on HHonors since June which we all know makes travel easier and will allow for cheaper family vacations.

Bottom line-with the right situation at home, the right places, and a good company travel policy it can be very rewarding.
Old Nov 12, 2012, 2:33 pm

Programs: Marriott (Lifetime Titantium), whatever other programs as benefits make sense.
Did Management Consulting for 13 years before getting a job requiring much less travel a couple of years ago. I used to travel very extensively - Monday to Thursday or Monday to Friday most weeks. Would say spent about 40 weeks on the road on average during that time.

Others have given good advice.

I think trying to turn the experience of business travel into some personal pleasure is important. I almost always went out to try a different restaurant or just go for a walk around every night. I would always check out the local free paper for concerts or events, and try and get out. Some nights I really had to force myself, but I never regretted the nights I went out (well, maybe a little bit the next morning), but often regretted not going out.

As for the personal life, I post something here I wrote a couple years ago on the experience of travelling for work in a blog post on the movie "Up In The Air"

A few people have over the years have said that my life on the road must be lonely. I have never found it so. It is a life that favours a breadth of relationships over relationships of incredible depth. Across my years of consulting I have met a lot of people, worked and lived in close quarters with them, and then moved on. Some of these people I have kept in contact with, some I have lost complete touch with, others are those quasi-friends that we all have nowadays – names in my list of Facebook friends and Linkedin contacts who you never hear from.

Most of the people I am still in contact with are other consultants. Some I communicate with (mostly via email) on a regular basis, some I only speak with once in a blue moon. Yet I would still consider them all friends. How can I consider someone I speak with once every six months a friend, you might ask? It is because we have lived the same life, so we understand the long silences between our chats.

The project experience is enveloping. Consulting projects are short periods of intense work. As most of the consultants are “on the road,” you spend both your time at work and your time after work together. The “work-hard, play-hard” mentality abounds. The intensity of the experience bonds those who went through it together. Once we have gone our separate ways, that bond still exists. Even if we haven’t talked to each other in six months, when we speak again we are fast friends, for we both have lived the life of a road warrior, and know that just because we haven’t been in touch doesn’t mean we don’t care. It just means that we’ve been away, on the road and knuckling down somewhere far away.

I’m very comfortable with this style of friendship. I am an outgoing person, and enjoy the constant opportunities to meet new people. That being said, it certainly isn’t a life for everyone. I have had a few friends slip by the way-side, especially those who don’t travel and thus don’t understand why I haven’t been in touch in months. Romantic relationships are often very hard to maintain when one partner is on the road as well.

This is the core conflict of the film. I took creative writing in high school, so I know that you can’t have a story without some sort of conflict. Bingham starts the film happy with his solo life on the road. He talks about attachments – both the physical things we all have like houses, cars, furniture and the emotional links of relationships – as being items that you carry that weigh you down. For Bingham, discarding these things leads to a life of freedom. In Bingham’s motivational speaker parlance, his is an empty backpack.

As the film progresses, Ryan Bingham faces a choice, between maintaining his lone wolf lifestyle of being on the road or developing deeper relationships with the people in his life. Bingham is faced to look into his empty backpack and question whether discarding all the relationships in his life have at the same time hollowed him out and left him an empty man.

I’ve had moments like that as well, times when I have questioned if my life on the road has left me with a theme park kind of life – a lot of exciting experiences but ultimately lacking in any depth. For me, though, these moments of doubt have always past quickly. A few weeks at home, and I would find myself longing to get out of town and away to some new place again. I’d land in some new place, settle into a hotel room for the night, feel the beautiful lack of domestic responsibility, and it would feel like home.

It's been a couple years since I wrote that, and am now settling into a life not on the road and living at home 7 days a week. It is a very different experience, but I am quite enjoying it. I have learnt, and am now enjoying, having a home I am in all the time, and developing some friendships that have more of the depth than the breadth mentioned above.

However, I don't regret the 13 years on the road, and don't necessary dismiss the potential of taking it up again.

Greg
Old Nov 12, 2012, 3:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Marriott or Hilton hot tub with a big drink <glub> Beverage: To-Go Bag™ DYKWIA: SSSS /rolleyes ☈ Date Night: Costco
Programs: Sea Shell Lounge Platinum, TSA Pre✓ Refusnik Diamond, PWP Gold, FT subset of the subset
Originally Posted by FearFree
You wont be home, so your utility bills will be much lower.
Not if the OP has a live-in GF, and if she's like some of my ex's, she might crank the heat and leave lights on when I'm not around to holler about it.

Originally Posted by LADesignGirl
Actually, that is what led me to FT in the first place
Welcome to FT!
Old Nov 12, 2012, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: OW Emerald, *A Gold, NEXUS, GE, ABTC/APEC, South Korea SES, eIACS, PP, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by ffI
I thought the rich were those earning 250k and needed to be taxed more.
Have we all become rich(er) suddenly?
And America doesn't have the same tax workaround that Canada does.
(Residency)
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:04 pm

Originally Posted by GregWTravels
Did Management Consulting for 13 years before getting a job requiring much less travel a couple of years ago. I used to travel very extensively - Monday to Thursday or Monday to Friday most weeks. Would say spent about 40 weeks on the road on average during that time.

Others have given good advice.

I think trying to turn the experience of business travel into some personal pleasure is important. I almost always went out to try a different restaurant or just go for a walk around every night. I would always check out the local free paper for concerts or events, and try and get out. Some nights I really had to force myself, but I never regretted the nights I went out (well, maybe a little bit the next morning), but often regretted not going out.

As for the personal life, I post something here I wrote a couple years ago on the experience of travelling for work in a blog post on the movie "Up In The Air"

A few people have over the years have said that my life on the road must be lonely. I have never found it so. It is a life that favours a breadth of relationships over relationships of incredible depth. Across my years of consulting I have met a lot of people, worked and lived in close quarters with them, and then moved on. Some of these people I have kept in contact with, some I have lost complete touch with, others are those quasi-friends that we all have nowadays – names in my list of Facebook friends and Linkedin contacts who you never hear from.

Most of the people I am still in contact with are other consultants. Some I communicate with (mostly via email) on a regular basis, some I only speak with once in a blue moon. Yet I would still consider them all friends. How can I consider someone I speak with once every six months a friend, you might ask? It is because we have lived the same life, so we understand the long silences between our chats.

The project experience is enveloping. Consulting projects are short periods of intense work. As most of the consultants are “on the road,” you spend both your time at work and your time after work together. The “work-hard, play-hard” mentality abounds. The intensity of the experience bonds those who went through it together. Once we have gone our separate ways, that bond still exists. Even if we haven’t talked to each other in six months, when we speak again we are fast friends, for we both have lived the life of a road warrior, and know that just because we haven’t been in touch doesn’t mean we don’t care. It just means that we’ve been away, on the road and knuckling down somewhere far away.

I’m very comfortable with this style of friendship. I am an outgoing person, and enjoy the constant opportunities to meet new people. That being said, it certainly isn’t a life for everyone. I have had a few friends slip by the way-side, especially those who don’t travel and thus don’t understand why I haven’t been in touch in months. Romantic relationships are often very hard to maintain when one partner is on the road as well.

This is the core conflict of the film. I took creative writing in high school, so I know that you can’t have a story without some sort of conflict. Bingham starts the film happy with his solo life on the road. He talks about attachments – both the physical things we all have like houses, cars, furniture and the emotional links of relationships – as being items that you carry that weigh you down. For Bingham, discarding these things leads to a life of freedom. In Bingham’s motivational speaker parlance, his is an empty backpack.

As the film progresses, Ryan Bingham faces a choice, between maintaining his lone wolf lifestyle of being on the road or developing deeper relationships with the people in his life. Bingham is faced to look into his empty backpack and question whether discarding all the relationships in his life have at the same time hollowed him out and left him an empty man.

I’ve had moments like that as well, times when I have questioned if my life on the road has left me with a theme park kind of life – a lot of exciting experiences but ultimately lacking in any depth. For me, though, these moments of doubt have always past quickly. A few weeks at home, and I would find myself longing to get out of town and away to some new place again. I’d land in some new place, settle into a hotel room for the night, feel the beautiful lack of domestic responsibility, and it would feel like home.

It's been a couple years since I wrote that, and am now settling into a life not on the road and living at home 7 days a week. It is a very different experience, but I am quite enjoying it. I have learnt, and am now enjoying, having a home I am in all the time, and developing some friendships that have more of the depth than the breadth mentioned above.

However, I don't regret the 13 years on the road, and don't necessary dismiss the potential of taking it up again.

Greg
great post!!!^^^^
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:08 pm

people please help me on that: There is one thing I really really hate about travelling, and it is the hotel chains.
In my opinion, there is a market gap in the hotel business:
1) there are five star hotels, each designed through and through by an architect, each tailored to the location, the culture, each hotel something special and therefore something to enjoy.
2) but in 4-Star hotel chains, they are all just... dull. the same thing all over again and all over again and all over again. neutral boring stuff.

I would think that there must be a chain where you can collect points, but still get a very special impression and design in every different location! Something to look forward to, something to remember! Why not? Does anyone know a chain like that?
Old Nov 15, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Depending on the city, most chains such as Hilton, Sheraton, etc., have interesting, historic hotels that they operate under their banner (example: The Hilton Palmer House in Chicago).

Just a thought...
Old Nov 15, 2012, 2:13 pm

Programs: AA ExP, Marriott Amb, National EAE, Hilton Diamond, SPG Plat (RIP), US CP (RIP)
Originally Posted by DavidVIE
people please help me on that: There is one thing I really really hate about travelling, and it is the hotel chains.
In my opinion, there is a market gap in the hotel business:
1) there are five star hotels, each designed through and through by an architect, each tailored to the location, the culture, each hotel something special and therefore something to enjoy.
2) but in 4-Star hotel chains, they are all just... dull. the same thing all over again and all over again and all over again. neutral boring stuff.

I would think that there must be a chain where you can collect points, but still get a very special impression and design in every different location! Something to look forward to, something to remember! Why not? Does anyone know a chain like that?
Marriott's Autograph Collection (i.e. Casa Monica in St. Augustine, The Bohemian in Savannah). I love the artwork within the former Kessler properties that have remained since moving to become part of the Marriott collection.

To a lesser extent Renaissance (more locations, less individualized than Autograph)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.