Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

AA to QF connection at LAX

Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:26 pm
Original Poster

Hi Everyone,
I am travelling SFO to LAX terminal 4 at 9.25pm and depart TBIT terminal on QF at 11.40pm. As I am on separate tickets I am concerned that I won't have enough time to connect. As AA and QF are Oneworld partners will AA check myself and bags right through at San Francisco to Sydney or will I need to collect at LAX? The Qantas website says that check-in closes 90 minutes before the flight. Does it actually close then? That gives me 45 minutes from arrival to check in.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP, SPG Platinum

They should check your bags through if you've notified them. I'd check with the gate attendant. Additionally, Bradley and T4 are 100 yards from each other and very easy to get to. This is a very regular connection as I often have Australian passengers with me on east to west cost flights who need to make these connection. The airlines are aware and very accommodating.
Old Nov 7, 2012, 11:58 pm

AA should be able to check your bags through, just make sure you have your QANTAS ticket details including the e-ticket number.
Personally, I would be concerned about the connection time. There's no margin for delays, and because you are on separate tickets they don't need to help you. I'd try to arrive on an earlier flight.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:05 am

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

You can check in online for the qf flight from 24 hours before. However, if you are on separate PNRs that sounds a little tight.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 5:14 am

Programs: AA Airpass, UA 1P, SPG Plat
I've made this trip a few times in the last month and have always arrived at LAX with two hours or less and had no problems. I assume AA should be able to check your bags through (I've even done this from United to Qantas).

The walk to TBIT is maybe five minutes. What cabin are you in? Usually line for business class is empty, though you may have to wait a bit for coach.
Old Nov 8, 2012, 7:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry: BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by grozzy
AA should be able to check your bags through, just make sure you have your QANTAS ticket details including the e-ticket number.
Personally, I would be concerned about the connection time. There's no margin for delays, and because you are on separate tickets they don't need to help you. I'd try to arrive on an earlier flight.
Since QF is a oneworld carrier, AA is required to protect the traveler in the event of a misconnect -- even on separate tickets -- assuming that the itinerary satisfies the MCT for the connection:

http://www.aa.com/i18n/agency/Bookin...tkt_policy.jsp
Old Nov 9, 2012, 8:42 am

Programs: QF WP, VA, AA
There is an an airside bus connection from T4 (near gate 44) to TBIT, though I have never used it. While it is a short walk to TBIT, this involves having to re-clear security, whereas the bus, AFAIK, does not.

I do not have the knowledge to state which would be your better option. Perhaps someone else who has used it before can assist.
Old Nov 9, 2012, 4:06 pm

Programs: Qantas WP, LTG , Delta, SPG, Priority Club

No need to reclear security when you take the bus from T4 to TBIT.
Old Nov 10, 2012, 4:57 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the link GUV1976 and other replies. I am travelling with a Qantas gold status frequent flyer so hopefully that will help. First post on this site, very informative!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.