Wiki Posts
Search

Is this a record for carry-on baggage?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:50 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Is this a record for carry-on baggage?

On my flight from ORD-SFO last night, a guy brought on 5 carryons. Three of them were quite full 22" rollaboards or equivalent which he put in the overhead bins (blocking the aisle for at least 2-3 minutes while doing so). The other two were smaller. One he put under the seat. The last wouldn't fit so he put all the stuff from it -- mostly very solid electronic equipment -- in the seatback.

An AA first class FA was watching all this. I queried her about whether this was right and her reply was, "I gave up fighting that long ago."

Can I report this as a world record or does anyone have an even better tale?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:11 pm

Programs: DL Platinum Medallion, AA
How did he get past security?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:12 pm
Flyertalk Evangelist and Moderator: Coupon Connection and Travel Products

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Platinum Elite, Hyatt Discoverist, Radisson Elite
Was he travelling with any children or anyone else? Otherwise, I am also shocked he got past security... and the gate agent.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:38 pm

I don't think security ever really polices that. How he got past the gate agent is another question. I can't even get by with my rollaboard, computer bag, and a tiny little wallet sized purse! Oh no, have to combine something! So I usually have to stick my "purse" inside my computer bag.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:46 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I could see someone sneaking an extra one or two past a GA in the form of backpacks or duffels. Just kind of have 'em lumped over your shoulder in a bundle... But three 22" rollaboards? The GA absolutely should have tagged two of them.

How did he even drag them onto the plane? Where they hooked together?
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:48 pm

Programs: Yeah, well, don’t really care anymore
Once checked in, when wife was immigrating to our new home country, the following:

3 x very large suitcases and 2 x sports bags. Combined total of 105kg (220 lbs). Allowance was 2 x 20 kg. On top of that had 3 suit bags, each with 2 suits or dresses, 2 roller-boards, 2 bags, 1 rucksack and whatever handbag the wife was carrying as hand luggage. Allowance was one piece each.

We were flying economy, on award tickets, with TK from IST to BRU. Wife is very, very good at looking miserable and speaks the local lingo. Result: We didn't pay a dime in overweight charges, was allowed to carry all the "kitchen sinks" aboard and got away with occupying the overheads both side of the aisle. Flight was only 2/3 full flight, so didn't "steal" any overhead space from other pax.

I've never beaten that, don't want to either. It was quite hellish schlepping all that junk around.

Incredible how I can get away with a 10 day trip on hand luggage only, but if we're a week-end away together it's one of the big suitcases + a roller board for the two us. Most of it 3 extra's of everything for her, and shoes. Also hers
Old Oct 15, 2012, 1:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Gold, Global Entry, Hertz PC, and my wallet
Ryanair would sort him out.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
I could see someone sneaking an extra one or two past a GA in the form of backpacks or duffels. Just kind of have 'em lumped over your shoulder in a bundle... But three 22" rollaboards? The GA absolutely should have tagged two of them.

How did he even drag them onto the plane? Where they hooked together?
Yeah, the one time I went down the jetway with three pieces we were stopped and forced to gate-check one even though I was simply carrying one of hers, we were within the limits. (I think they didn't want to lose face and admit they were wrong in stopping me.)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 3:04 pm

If it weren't for the comment by the FA I would have assumed that the pax had purchased extra seats to accommodate the carryons.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 5:38 pm

Programs: AS-GoldMVP,Hilton, Hyatt, Hertz
Was at Seatac heading to San Diego when a woman came up with 5 roller boards and a duffle bag. Just her, no one else and tried to get them on the plane. Long arguments with the gate agents, and in the end, she lost and had to check them, AND pay for the checked bag fee for four of those bags.
Old Oct 15, 2012, 7:53 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Sister has had to fly the Florida-Cuba charters a few time for work, and her business group is the only people on the plane trying to not haul half a Costco back to the island-based relatives. You can apparently get away with five carry-ons for many of those flights, provided everything is appropriately weighed at check-in. (Charter company needs to know how much baggage they've got to shift to a second cargo-only plane that's effectively tethered to the primary passenger flight.)
Old Oct 15, 2012, 8:27 pm

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty
Wife is very, very good at looking miserable and speaks the local lingo.
Easy there man. I hope tWife isn't a FT member
Old Oct 16, 2012, 4:40 am

Programs: NZ, EK, QF, SQ.
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
On my flight from ORD-SFO last night, a guy brought on 5 carryons. Three of them were quite full 22" rollaboards or equivalent which he put in the overhead bins (blocking the aisle for at least 2-3 minutes while doing so). The other two were smaller. One he put under the seat. The last wouldn't fit so he put all the stuff from it -- mostly very solid electronic equipment -- in the seatback.

An AA first class FA was watching all this. I queried her about whether this was right and her reply was, "I gave up fighting that long ago."

Can I report this as a world record or does anyone have an even better tale?
Only in America!

I'd love to see him try that with easyJet, Ryanair, or Thomas Cook airlines!

And, oh how I love fellow passengers who carry on all this stuff. Not!
Old Oct 16, 2012, 7:25 am

Programs: AA Gold, DL FO, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by RichardInSF
This part of the OP is the "'Nuff said" part of the post. Sigh.
Old Oct 16, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: AA LT PLT (3.6+ MM), UA 1K LT Gold, Hilton LT Diamond, Bonvoy Gold.
My first reaction was this must be an off-duty cabin attendant, since they are the ones who always have at least 3 bags and fairly often 4.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.