Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How to get someone to swap seats, in Business on long haul?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How to get someone to swap seats, in Business on long haul?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:17 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by FWAAA
While I'm certain that some people would say no, I have no reason to decline their reasonable request.
The only time I can recall declining was on the upper deck of a UA747 in an emergency exit row. It had double legroom compared to other business seats and I had booked that row months out. The person next to me asked me to vacate the seat so his wife could join him (she was seated one row ahead). I declined. He didn't ask the person next to his wife if he'd move back a row and switch with him. Guess he didn't want to give up his extra legroom, either.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:28 pm

Programs: SPG Plat
most people are willing to swap a regular business seat for another regular business seat no problem.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:42 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by silverforumsurf
most people are willing to swap a regular business seat for another regular business seat no problem.
Except in the case of a 777 if you are trying to persuade someone to move from an aisle into the middle seat ...

Personally I'd check-in early and ask about row 8 as they tend to hold those two seats back for airport allocation if they can and they would make a great pair for the two of you to be in.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:49 pm

Programs: UA MM/Gold; WN A-list; HH something depending; Marriott Gold
I would not try the cash incentive angle. I, for one, would be insulted, and anyone saying "no" isn't looking for $100. More likely they are seated next to someone they want to stay near, or they are going to wonder about the seat you're giving them (aisle/window). In my experience, it isn't even about what kind of story you can tell; wanting to sit next to your spouse is understandable to everyone.

Ask in the Club, ask the FAs, and then politely ask passengers (especially those who have worse seats than you do!).

If you end up with one aisle and one window, you are golden, as swapping like for like is almost never a problem for people (me included) -- and giving someone an aisle or window vs a middle is often considered a present.

For me personally, I tend to be up a bunch on long-haul flights so window is a harder sell, for example. On my last flight to LHR, though, I got upgraded into a middle on UA and a woman was standing there to ask me if I would be willing to swap my middle next to her husband for her aisle... everybody wins.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
When traveling with Mrs.G3 I have several times asked to swap and never been refused ... but the important thing is to ask to swap the better seat, not the less desirable one. For other single business travelers, that usually means giving them another aisle seat, not a window... and +/- one row is usually not an issue.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by rymetymeuk
I think it'll be an aisle seat to swap with the middle of 3, all in business.

Assuming it is a 772 there is 8H/J that are released c 24 hours before departure to consider too.

Agreed $100 is a needless/ineffective insult.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
The only time I can recall declining was on the upper deck of a UA747 in an emergency exit row. It had double legroom compared to other business seats and I had booked that row months out. The person next to me asked me to vacate the seat so his wife could join him (she was seated one row ahead). I declined. He didn't ask the person next to his wife if he'd move back a row and switch with him. Guess he didn't want to give up his extra legroom, either.
Yeah. I don't understand why some people expect others to get the worse seat in a trade. Although I have done it once (we had two windows, and had to ask someone in the aisle to take a window), if there is an option to give the other party the better seat, that would be my first offer.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:23 pm
Original Poster

I'm glad I asked you all, great advice. Thank you! Ill let you know what happens. Appreciate it
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:33 pm
Suspended

You are in business class, not at a Middle Eastern bazaar. Keep your $100 in your pocket. Ask someone to switch with you, if that doesn't work, talk to the lead flight attendant.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 2:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Yeah. I don't understand why some people expect others to get the worse seat in a trade. Although I have done it once (we had two windows, and had to ask someone in the aisle to take a window), if there is an option to give the other party the better seat, that would be my first offer.
I don't thinking asking to switch, if you have 2 windows, is an outrageous request. At the same time, I don't think people should be treated rudely if they don't want to switch. I book seats based on my own personal requirements. If I am on a TATL flight in BC on a 763, I am NOT going to want to move from the middle section (aisle/aisle) to a window/aisle pair. I recall a guy in the bulkhead row on 763 was asked to move out of a seat he stated he always flew in, and had booked months in advance. The FA did the asking. He refused, and during to flight she was rude to him. The person who requested the move actually had wanted nobody next to her. The odd part of this was there were other rows she could have sat in with nobody next to her.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2MM
I find being nice to someone often works really well - as well as using a little humor..... 'I'll buy you a drink' or something similar (it's funny in business, and nice in coach)
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:12 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plt, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Diamond, Hertz PC
Just take your normal seat, then during takeoff, have your wife freakout, scream etc....then go ask her seatmate if he/she will switch with you....I bet they say yes
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA PLT/1MM, Hilton Dmd, Marriott GLD, SPG GLD, Global Entry
When my wife and I were dating we traveled from DFW to Gatwick together. My mileage upgrade (before the days of co-pay) went through several hours before the flight, but we each had middle seats. My wife not understanding the gravity of the situation (length of flight and different between TATL J and domestic F) gave me a really hard time that we would not be sitting together (we were one behind the other). Trying to save face, I asked each of the occupants of the 4 adjoining aisle seats about a swap, and all 4 said no. Before she got settled, the last of the 4 relented and agreed to swap. I was out of the doghouse (no $100 required). After that flight, my (now) wife understood the difference and indicated that I should feel free to upgrade us on the return, even if it meant sitting apart.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 3:55 pm

Originally Posted by tom911
Seems quite rude of that pax to ask you to move to a worse seat (by the fact he didn't ask the other pax, it suggests he was well aware which seats were better). As long the askee is willing to trade down, it is fair and reasonable to ask to switch. But to only ask if you are trying to get better seats is rude. I think you were definately in the right to decline. A response of, 'Sorry, I really like this seat/row but perhaps the gentleman next to you wife would switch' seems like a good option.
Old Oct 10, 2012, 4:02 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Gold, HHonors Gold
Easy. Just pop loose a seat and move it next to your wife. Very easy to do on AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.