Wiki Posts
Search

Can you carry on trecking sticks?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 30, 2012, 2:58 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LatinPass Million Miler
Can you carry on trecking sticks?

I bought a pair of trecking sticks while on a hiking trip to Yosemite last week. I checked a bag on my return home and was able to take them home in that bag. However, typically I don't check bags and was wondering if I would be able to carry them with me on the plane. The tips of the sticks are not sharp, but they are hard and do have removable rubber feet.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 4:55 pm
AAL

There is a search box on the tsa.gov website for "Can I bring my...?" http://www.tsa.gov/

When you search "poles", trekking poles will pop up in the search results. The answer says "check only" but the longer narrative indicates that they may possibly be allowed.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Check them ... the chances of getting them through the mental and physical gauntlet is slim regardless of what is on the TSA website (that is if you can find anything with the change over).
Old Sep 30, 2012, 5:58 pm

I've had zero luck carrying them on. Your best bet is to check them.
Old Sep 30, 2012, 8:11 pm

Programs: SQ KF (ex-UA)
Check them, and do NOT put any valuables in your checked bags - based on my experience your chances of a hand search are 100%...
Old Oct 1, 2012, 1:56 am
Original Member

My husband travels with a hight adjustable walking stick with a sharp point under the black rubber tip, the last 10 years or so, and has never had a problem getting it on the plane. He uses it instead of a cane to help him walk around the airport. He needs wheelchair help to get from gate to gate and uses the stick instead of an ordinary cane to get around the gate area. Have never even thought he would have a problem. Maybe we have just been lucky.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 2:40 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Similarly to the above poster, I've carried on walking poles several times. Occasionally I was hassled a bit but they were always allowed on.
Old Oct 1, 2012, 9:24 am

Programs: SPG LT Plat, Hilton G,Priorty Club G, AC E
I've had no problems brining them on carry-on...

....but I fly thru YYZ so no TSA zealots to overcome.
Old Oct 2, 2012, 6:55 am

Recently, in the Washington Post's travel chat, this question was asked. The traveler wasn't allowed to bring it on Wyoming, with the TSA agent saying it was a Wyoming-only rule. The writer responded

TSA prohibits hockey sticks and lacrosse sticks on flights, according to its published list of prohibited items, but alas, no hiking sticks. Sounds as if your TSA agent was just making that up. It's not the first time I've heard of that happening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.