Wiki Posts
Search

Yes, yet another hidden city question

Search this Thread

Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:50 pm

Programs: WN, DL, AA; Hyatt or Wyndham
Originally Posted by stifle
Untrue.

LeeAnne agrees with all the terms of the contract for the PHX-SJO/SJO-LAX trip except the one saying she must use all the legs.

It so happens that US (or whichever carrier it is; I'm on a mobile so it's a pain to trawl back through and check) offers a contract with exactly those terms, called a PHX-SJO roundtrip.

She absolutely has the choice to enter into a contract with the terms she wants. She just has to pay more for it than the first-mentioned one.
This is the epitome of "take it or leave it".

What she WANTS is to take the trip she WANTS (actually the trip her mother wants, details) PHX-SJO, for at or less than the price the same company offers more product, LAX-SJO.

Since the company will not sell it to her at that price, IMO she is well within her rights to get to her goal another way.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:55 pm
Original Poster

The conditions that you agreed to when you bought the ticket say that you agree to use it all. You could have bought a ticket for the journeys you actually want to make. Why didn't you?
READ THE THREAD! Gack, it drives me crazy when people jump into a conversation without having read the thread.

But just because I'm such a giver, I'll save you the trouble. I bought this ticket because Mom and I travel together regularly, and she usually comes out here to stay with me for a few days first (vacation clothes shopping, planning excursions, etc). Mom lives in PHX. I live in LA. I usually fly her out here on SW a few days in advance, then we fly on to our destination from LAX together. Naturally, since we flew out of LAX, our returns are always to LAX, so she'll come back home with me for a day or two, then fly home.

So that's the ticket we bought.

After we bought this ticket, we got to talking about the fact that she's going to have to change planes in PHX just to come all the way back to LAX, then fly back to PHX again. Mom said that she may prefer not to come home with me this time, but just get off in PHX and go home. Or she may decide to continue to LAX with me and stay a few days post-trip. Not sure yet. So that's why I asked the question to begin with - I wasn't sure how that worked, or what the possible ramifications were if she chose to just go home.

I got my answer. And more. We got all the info we need. So, thanks for your input. We're done now.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by LeeAnne
I have to pay more for it if that's what I buy. I bought the ticket that I wanted. I may decide later that I don't want to use all of it. And I may not. My choice.

Seriously, you're just going to hurt yourself. Let it go. You will not change our minds.
Will you quit with the nonsense? How on earth am I going to "hurt myself"? I find this all very amusing. You're the one who's said you're withdrawing several times over the course of the thread, but it's you who keeps coming back.
Originally Posted by Delta Hog
This is the epitome of "take it or leave it".

What she WANTS is to take the trip she WANTS (actually the trip her mother wants, details) PHX-SJO, for at or less than the price the same company offers more product, LAX-SJO.

Since the company will not sell it to her at that price, IMO she is well within her rights to get to her goal another way.
Thank you for including the "IMO" qualifier. I totally respect your opinion, but I disagree with it for the reasons previously stated.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 12:59 pm
Original Poster

Will you quit with the nonsense? How on earth am I going to "hurt myself"? I find this all very amusing. You're the one who's said you're withdrawing several times over the course of the thread, but it's you who keeps coming back.
Actually I haven't said I was withdrawing. I've pleaded with people like YOU to stop calling me "immoral" and "unethical" and all that other garbage. But I will continue to defend myself if you insist on continuing to insult me.

Thank you for including the "IMO" qualifier. I totally respect your opinion, but I disagree with it for the reasons previously stated.
Good. Agree to disagree. We think you're whack, but that's our opinion. You are free to disagree. But you are NOT free to continue to claim that I am immoral or unethical. So stop it.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:02 pm

Mwuuuhaha!

I now have the last word and I agree with OP. I bet stifle can't resist posting though.

Actually I haven't said I was withdrawing. I've pleaded with people like YOU to stop calling me "immoral" and "unethical" and all that other garbage. But I will continue to defend myself if you insist on continuing to insult me.

Good. Agree to disagree. We think you're whack, but that's our opinion. You are free to disagree. But you are NOT free to continue to claim that I am immoral or unethical. So stop it.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Silver, EI Silver, HH Gold, BW Gold, ABP, Seigneur des Horaires des Mucci
Originally Posted by wqurg
I now have the last word and I agree with OP. I bet stifle can't resist posting though.
You win

I am absolutely free to state that it is my opinion that your conduct is immoral and unethical. If I have said that you are either of these things, it was wrong of me to do so and I apologize.

If you now want to take a different journey than you bought, you have the right to pay a change fee and fare difference to do so.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:13 pm
Original Poster

You win

I am absolutely free to state that it is my opinion that your conduct is immoral and unethical. If I have said that you are either of these things, it was wrong of me to do so and I apologize.

If you now want to take a different journey than you bought, you have the right to pay a change fee and fare difference to do so.
Yep. I have that right. And Mom has the right to get off the plane in PHX and go home. And NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO US.

Calling my conduct immoral and unethical is insulting. Stop it. There is no purpose in your continuing to insult me, except to be rude and obnoxious.

As for what we're going to do, I will let Mom make the decision. It will depend on how she's feeling. If she's tired and wants to go home, she'll go home. If she's feeling spunky and wants to come back with me, she'll fly to LAX. For you to claim that this is immoral or unethical is truly bizarre. Entertaining, but bizarre.

And I'd like to see YOU go up to my mother and tell her that for the immoral, unethical "crime" of being tired after vacation and wanting to go home, she has to pay out several hundred dollars. Yeah. Go ahead. Say it to her. I dare ya!
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I were located conveniently, I would be happy to, but would not use the word "crime", as your proposed conduct doesn't constitute one. As it happens, I am several thousand miles away, and therefore it is inconvenient.

I'm sorry you feel insulted. I wish you and your mom the best in your travels.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:26 pm
Original Poster

I'm going to ask you now, in all sincerity, to STOP. You will not change my opinion. I have already made that clear. At this point you are just being argumentative and insulting. So STOP IT.

I have stated my position in excruciating detail. If you want to read it, it's in the thread. Feel free to do so. But stop asking me questions, as every single question pertaining to this topic has been asked and answered, over and over.

Yes, I DO want to stop. But if you continue to insult me AND MY MOTHER, I will continue to defend myself. It's a matter of honor. Keep in mind, it's not me who may elect to stay in PHX, it's my mother. This is a woman who has earned a place of respect in our society, and I will not stand for people like you insulting her. She lost her husband to a war. She raised three kids on her own, all of whom are college-educated contributors to society. She worked for years, earned a pension, and now spends her time volunteering for Kiwanas, running blood drives, and sitting on the arts council in her community. She has survived cancer, a broken hip, and fractured spine, and still does the walk-for-the-cure to raise money for cancer awareness. She spent her entire adult life doing for others, and never took a vacation other than to be a leader at Girl Scout Camp when I went there. Now that she has the time to enjoy life, I have been taking her on trips around the world, something she could never have afforded to do before.

To have weasels like you come in and call her "immoral" or "unethical" just burns me up. I will not allow it. So stop. NOW.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I have given my opinion of the conduct proposed (not of you or your mother as people), and it has not changed. I'm sorry that you have taken that personally. I have not asked you a question since post #79. And you need to stop calling me things like "weasel", "argumentative", "rude", "obnoxious", and "whack". Otherwise you're just being hypocritical.

You are also welcome to stop posting.
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:45 pm
Original Poster

I have given my opinion of the conduct proposed (not of you or your mother as people), and it has not changed. I'm sorry that you have taken that personally. I have not asked you a question since post #79. And you need to stop calling me things like "weasel", "argumentative", "rude", "obnoxious", and "whack". Otherwise you're just being hypocritical.

You are also welcome to stop posting.

Okay, I'm not saying "you're a rude, obnoxious, argumentative weasel". I'm saying your BEHAVIOR is rude, argumentative, weaselly. So you're not a weasel. You just BEHAVE like one.

Make it any more palatable? Yeah, didn't think so.

Now leave me alone.

Last edited by LeeAnne; Oct 3, 2012 at 2:11 pm
Old Oct 3, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM/UA G MM/DL MM DM 2015/BA Silver/Hyatt Diamond
Yep. I have that right. And Mom has the right to get off the plane in PHX and go home. And NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO US.

Calling my conduct immoral and unethical is insulting. Stop it. There is no purpose in your continuing to insult me, except to be rude and obnoxious.
Purposely violating a condition agreed to in a contract is actionable. I've seen lawsuits for a lot less. Will the airline do anything about it? Probably not.

Plotting in advance to do this is, IMHO, is unethical. The fact that you have no plan to fulfill your end of the deal makes me question your character.

If a grocery clerk makes an error and gives you back an extra $10 in change, how do you react?
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Bicostal
Purposely violating a condition agreed to in a contract is actionable. I've seen lawsuits for a lot less. Will the airline do anything about it? Probably not.

Plotting in advance to do this is, IMHO, is unethical. The fact that you have no plan to fulfill your end of the deal makes me question your character.

If a grocery clerk makes an error and gives you back an extra $10 in change, how do you react?
LOL here we go again - yet another pollyanna-ish rule-follower.

Yes, I agree that if I do this, I'm violating the provisions of a contract. That does not make it unethical. It's just business. Contracts are not laws, nor are they moral codes. People break contracts all the time, when it makes financial sense for them to do so. Breaking a contract is a business decision, not a moral or ethical one.

I consider the provision unfair and unreasonable, so I may choose to ignore it. And it may very well be actionable. The question posed at the beginning of this thread is, will they do anything? And if they did, what would happen?

I have already received my answer. No, they will not. And even if they did (which we all know they WON'T), how funny would it be to see US Airways haul an elderly, disabled, cancer-survivor war-widow grandmother into court over the fact that she decided she didn't feel up to taking the last portion of the flight? Part of me would LOVE to see that happen! But of course we all know it won't. So your entire argument is worthless.

You can think it's unethical all you want. Torture yourself over it, for all I care. I am but an anonymous name on an internet forum to you. And you are just another one who BEHAVES like a pollyanna-ish weasel. (Note, I'm not saying you ARE a weasel, just that you BEHAVE like one!)
Old Oct 3, 2012, 2:31 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
As this thread has become an increasingly personalized, extended argument between essentially two members, it's past time to give the thread a very long rest. Thread closed. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator, TravelBuzz.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.