Wiki Posts
Search

Give us your one tip to making business travel less stressful

Search this Thread

Old Sep 8, 2012, 5:29 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Platinum, AA AC, HHonors Diamond
Give us your one tip to making business travel less stressful

I've always travelled for business, but it was so infrequent that I never built up any status on any airline, and had only made it to Silver on HiltonHonors. Beginning in June of this year, I'm travelling weekly to one, maybe two locations and earned Gold on American and HHonors in less than 2.5 months. Luckily, most of my flights are direct since my home base is DFW. My company's travel policy for colleagues like me that are frequent travellers allows us to expense an airline club membership (obviously Admirals Club for me), which helps as well - either at DFW or connecting through ORD. Much of my stress went away with status simply because more seat options are available. Further, boarding and security lines are now so much quicker and easier.

For all you long-time road warriors, what is your one tip for making the business travel less stressful?

For me, it's simply being polite. What say you? I'm still a relative noob to the weekly grind.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Audio and ebooks.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 7:58 am

Programs: United 1K, Marriott Platinum
Have membership in an airline club. While dmestic U.S. clubs are not what they used to be, having a place to work and/or relax during layovers and when I'm at the airport early has been a lifesaver on many occasions.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:09 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Learn to keep as open a mind as possible. The sooner you realize that THINGS WILL GO WRONG and prepare for that eventuality and are able to take the delays, frustrations, cancellations, hotel and airline snafus etc. as they come, the better off you'll be.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 9:52 am

Programs: United MileagePlus Silver, Nexus, Global Entry
Getting Nexus and Global Entry.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:18 am
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
I follow CMK10's approach, specifically, scoping out my flight alternates/backups in case my ticketed flights cancel or are delayed.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:25 am
AAL

I use a trip planning app (TripIt) so my reservations for flights, cars, hotels, etc. are all in one readily-accessible place.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:31 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
It's an old thread, but still has good information in it

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/trave...win-500-a.html
Old Sep 8, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA/AA/AS/B6/WN/ UA/HH/MR and more like 'em but most felicitously & importantly MUCCI
Long layovers that will accommodate a late-running first leg without blowing up my plans. No connections through EWR.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:06 pm
Community Director Emerita

Eye shields and ear plugs, both for on the plane and in the hotel room.

And a great travel alarm.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:16 pm
Moderator: UK and Ireland & Europe

Programs: SK*G, Lots of Blue Elsewhere
Always make time for yourself, however brief, to explore where you are. Even if it's 11pm and bucketing down.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP; Owner, Green Bay Packers
Treat hotel front desk staff well. Worth more than any loyalty program out there.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 12:59 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Just roll with whatever happens.

I'm flying with a bunch of just-graduated new hires overseas for an extended training program. Single connection in EWR which the storm just blew up.

UA rebooked us all tomorrow. I couldn't find anything better so I took it, made sure I was on the upgrade waitlist and checked back into the hotel. The others began panicking.

When the worst case scenario is spending an extra night in a hotel on the company's dime, you're really doing pretty well.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K, IHG Platinum, Hilton Diamond, AMEX Platinum, National Executive, SPG Platinum
On longer flights, I find that tipping the FA when they give me my first drink works WONDERS. "Sir, it's complimentary--" "I know, but I'd be *personally offended* should you refuse" with a sly wink. It tends to make their day.

Obviously I don't do this every time, but when they seem particularly run down from dealing with the general public, it's nice to brighten their flight.
Old Sep 8, 2012, 3:39 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler (Gold), Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
I always put an extra book in my carryon bag. (I don't own an e-reader and get all the books I want for free.) As long as I have something to read, I can roll with anything that happens.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.