Wiki Posts
Search

UA F vs LH F worth how much $ (to you)?

Search this Thread

Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:12 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Non-status bottomfeeder
UA F vs LH F worth how much $ (to you)?

I've got one of the crazy Aeroplan "Mini-RTW" awards coming up and I see some stars aligning, possibly in my favour. This question is regarding my first portion:
YVR-ORD in UA Y
ORD-FRA in UA F
FRA-FCO in LH J
stop

For $338 and no additional points, I can switch to
YVR-ORD in UA J
ORD-FRA in LH F
FRA-FCO in LH J
stop

In your opinion, should I switch so I can have a go at LH F (upstairs on a 747 to boot)?
The two points that have the biggest say fro me is that I'm a "starving student" on a limited income (so I don't want to spend $338 if I don't have to) and that I really want to fly upstairs on a 747.

Last edited by zoobtoob; Sep 5, 2012 at 10:03 pm Reason: MCO != FCO
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:19 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by zoobtoob
I've got one of the crazy Aeroplan "Mini-RTW" awards coming up and I see some stars aligning, possibly in my favour. This question is regarding my first portion:
YVR-ORD in UA Y
ORD-FRA in UA F
FRA-MCO in LH J
stop

For $338 and no additional points, I can switch to
YVR-ORD in UA J
ORD-FRA in LH F
FRA-MCO in LH J
stop

In your opinion, should I switch so I can have a go at LH F (upstairs on a 747 to boot)?
The two points that have the biggest say fro me is that I'm a "starving student" on a limited income (so I don't want to spend $338 if I don't have to) and that I really want to fly upstairs on a 747.
I presume the difference in fare is the additional YQ charged by Aeroplan on the LH flight? I also see you are getting J from YVR to ORD so while not worht a lot, it is at least better than Y.

Have you also included the $90 charge for changing the booking?

Last edited by mapleg; Aug 27, 2012 at 12:36 pm
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:23 pm

Programs: *G
do it
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:32 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by mapleg
I presume the difference in fare is the additional YQ charged by Aeroplan on the UA flight? I also see you are getting J from YVR to ORD so while not worht a lot, it is at least better than Y.

Have you also included the $90 charge for changing the booking?
$90? I thought it was $75.

Well then it's $353.

No YQ on UA flights in Y, J, or F.
There is YQ on LH.

Originally Posted by deniah
do it
I think I will.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, WN A+, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Amb, Hertz PC
If you're arriving or departing in F on LH, you can use the F terminal/lounges at FRA. They're pretty awesome, with good food and an excellent alcohol selection. Furthermore, you have the option to be driven up to your aircraft for boarding.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 12:48 pm

Originally Posted by zoobtoob
$90? I thought it was $75.

Well then it's $353.

No YQ on UA flights in Y, J, or F.
There is YQ on LH.

I think I will.
For $353 I think i would too. (and yep, it is $90 to change it)--after all, how many F class flight do you normally fly on? You are getting a business flight from YVR-ORD thrown in as well.

PS-I am assuming your award is actually in F in terms of miles charged. (ie the rest of your intinerary must have some F flights as well, otherwise Aeroplan would be charging you the difference between J award levels and F)
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:45 pm

No brainer. Do it, unless you will be eating ramen noodles for a month upon return.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tfar
No brainer. Do it, unless you will be eating ramen noodles for a month upon return.
Can't I get my ramen fix on UA?
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:18 pm

Not sure. But I wouldn't expect UA to deliver anything that you might be expecting. For me as someone used to Continental the merger is terrible. I'd pay, on such a long trip, that price difference only to be sitting in LH metal rather than UA.

Till
Old Aug 27, 2012, 2:31 pm

No question, even if you have to get a weekend job at Burger King to come up with the extra $400, you should do it

Instead of dreading the flight, you're going to be looking forward to it, and that extra anticipation is worth every penny.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:18 pm

Originally Posted by spideysense
No question, even if you have to get a weekend job at Burger King to come up with the extra $400, you should do it

Instead of dreading the flight, you're going to be looking forward to it, and that extra anticipation is worth every penny.
In no way disagreeing with that, but we all have to admit things are bad when someone can actually say that a first class flight in UA is something to be "dreaded" when compared to the competion.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP UA 2KMM AMB
Having flown both UA and LH on this route, indeed the edge goes to LH. I personally would pay and do the switch, but I'm not a student who has to worry about conservative spending either. For a student like you 400 bucks is not spare change. With that said, if I were in your shoes, I would only do it if I'd be able to access LH's F Terminal and enjoy their services (which is an experience in itself). Without this, I probably will not do it given the lounge at ORD is also UA's F lounge, and surprisingly, my flight last month on LH F was on the underwhelming side, where F was still on LH's aging 744 seat with food that was a bit out there. I actually preferred the food on UA's F.
Old Aug 27, 2012, 3:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

i have only flown in biz class on flatbeds. 3 on ua, 1 on lh. the only real difference i can see is that the people on lh have an attitude. the ua fa's seem more stretched out.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 12:38 pm
Original Poster

Well, I made the change to LH F (and UA J for the first leg).

I also extended the stop in FRA by 2 hours so I can hopefully catch up on a little sleep in a FCT dayroom.
Old Sep 5, 2012, 4:35 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
You're flying Vancouver to Orlando via Frankfurt? Or is MCO supposed to be another airport (maybe FCO)? Or is the stop between ORD-FRA and FRA-MCO?

In either case, I say go for LH F since you get access to the FCT if you have an onward flight from FRA. Spend at least 2-3 waking hours there, especially if it's during a meal time.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.