Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Where do you prefer to live in retirement? Hawaii, Florida, Spain, Tahiti, or Finland

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Where do you prefer to live in retirement? Hawaii, Florida, Spain, Tahiti, or Finland

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2021, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Ok, because there's an airport code "HEL", I'm not going to retire in Finland.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 3:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: HH Diamond, Marriott LTPP/Platinum Premier, Hyatt Lame-ist, UA !K
Originally Posted by yyznomad
Ok, because there's an airport code "HEL", I'm not going to retire in Finland.
Well, there is an interestingly hot place on the Big Island right now...

Another hell on Earth - Roasty toasty!

David
Old Jan 18, 2021, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC SE 2MM; UA MP Premier Silver; Marriott Bonvoy LT Titanium Elite; Radisson; Avis PC
Originally Posted by DELee
Well, there is an interestingly hot place on the Big Island right now...

Another hell on Earth - Roasty toasty!

David
Lol indeed!
Old Jan 19, 2021, 1:43 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
Not to forget that what is now Finland was colonised by the Swedes for centuries.
Yes, but Finland was in a union of sorts with Russia -- and subject to being Russianized -- far more recently than it was with with Sweden. And yet Russia isn't really a prime retirement spot for Finnish citizens. Even Finnish citizens of Russian origin seem to end up retiring in Sweden at times or just staying in Finland for retirement. There are some parts of Florida that attract Finnish retirees, but I have to assume that more Finns have a Spanish vacation home that can be used for retirement than Finns having a US vacation home. Add in that Finns can have an EHIC card to cover their medical insurance needs in Spain, and Spain is probably a better place for Finnish retirees' seasonal living than Florida.
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 11:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Yes, but Finland was in a union of sorts with Russia -- and subject to being Russianized -- far more recently than it was with with Sweden. And yet Russia isn't really a prime retirement spot for Finnish citizens. Even Finnish citizens of Russian origin seem to end up retiring in Sweden at times or just staying in Finland for retirement. There are some parts of Florida that attract Finnish retirees, but I have to assume that more Finns have a Spanish vacation home that can be used for retirement than Finns having a US vacation home. Add in that Finns can have an EHIC card to cover their medical insurance needs in Spain, and Spain is probably a better place for Finnish retirees' seasonal living than Florida.
Not retirement mobility but it goes to explain the relatively-large numbers of the other ethnic groups among the neighbouring countries.
GUWonder likes this.
Old Jan 19, 2021, 12:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K, MM *G for life, BAEC Gold
It would not be easy for Finns to get permission to retire to the USA, so Spain wins hands down on that front also.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 12:53 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by lhrsfo
It would not be easy for Finns to get permission to retire to the USA, so Spain wins hands down on that front also.
Seasonal retirement in Florida is easy for Finns, in just about the same way as for Canadian snowbirds. Just not as easy as Spain.

Even as Finnish passport users have just 90 days per stay limit with the US VWP, it can work pretty easily if not short of money: 2-3 months in Florida + a trip for a couple of weeks in Mexico + 1-2 months again in Florida and then a return to Finland. And there is the B-2 visa which isn't all that hard to get for a Finn with a vacation home for seasonal retirement living in Florida. Retiring as a permanent resident is a whole different ball game indeed, which makes Spain a walk in the park and Florida a hassle.

A factor to be considered for seasonal retirement relocation vs permanent retirement relocation involves the taxation consequences that follow.
SPN Lifer likes this.

Last edited by GUWonder; Jan 20, 2021 at 1:19 am
Old Jan 20, 2021, 7:31 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
I was amazed to learn that Florida has little pockets of rather specific groups of international retirees. Years ago, I flew down to meet one of my Welsh college buddies who was staying in Kissimmee for a couple weeks with his family. They were renting a vacation home in a small neighborhood that was full of Welsh people. Most of the houses had flags out and everything. A generically British-Irish neighborhood might not have surprised me, but a Welsh one? A few of the units were being rented through a Cardiff travel agency (this was a little pre-VRBO/Airbnb) and quite a few others were at least seasonal residents. Houses were mostly 1990s builds - I'm guessing a Welshman, or maybe the owner of the travel agency, was involved with the development and promoted it back home.

So it wouldn't surprise me if there's a pocket of Finns somewhere too. Florida is not really my bag...aside from an occasional Miami or Key West trip...but I can see how Brits or other Northern Europeans would enjoy it seasonally.
GUWonder and SPN Lifer like this.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:42 am
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by pinniped
I was amazed to learn that Florida has little pockets of rather specific groups of international retirees. Years ago, I flew down to meet one of my Welsh college buddies who was staying in Kissimmee for a couple weeks with his family. They were renting a vacation home in a small neighborhood that was full of Welsh people. Most of the houses had flags out and everything. A generically British-Irish neighborhood might not have surprised me, but a Welsh one? A few of the units were being rented through a Cardiff travel agency (this was a little pre-VRBO/Airbnb) and quite a few others were at least seasonal residents. Houses were mostly 1990s builds - I'm guessing a Welshman, or maybe the owner of the travel agency, was involved with the development and promoted it back home.

So it wouldn't surprise me if there's a pocket of Finns somewhere too. Florida is not really my bag...aside from an occasional Miami or Key West trip...but I can see how Brits or other Northern Europeans would enjoy it seasonally.
Little pockets of Canadians from the same neighbourhood are common in Florida. These pockets are not planned but seem to develop organically. One couple moves to community in Florida and then tells their relatives, friends and neighbours when places become available. My in-laws have a condo in Clearwater and many of their neighbours are from their hometown in Canada. They also alert us to when a unit goes on the market.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 8:47 am
Suspended

Lake Worth and Lantana has quite the Finnish community in Florida. I don't know how much of an attraction it is for seasonal retirees because of that, but it does bring a reasonably-sized dose of Finnish VFR traffic to Florida, more so in the winter.

Everyone I know to rent out a Florida home that I myself would consider renting in Florida seems to get a mix of retired/semi-retired EUropean or Canadian snowbirds at times for rather long seasonal rentals.

I may have a choice of retiring where I want in the Schengen area, the US and some parts of Asia. But I'm definitely choosing neither Finland nor French Polynesia; and I'm going to try to avoid being a retiree in Florida.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:36 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Am I the only one that finds it hard to believe that Finland is some popular place to retire to? A nice place to visit. Maybe even long-term. I just find it hard to imagine it as a place I would want to spend the end of my days in.

I think for a lot of people, if you are relocating to a completely different place, nice weather is important. It isn't everything, but a strong consideration.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 3:57 pm
Suspended

Programs: Aeroplan, IHG, Enterprise, Avios, Nexus
Originally Posted by Super Mario
Am I the only one that finds it hard to believe that Finland is some popular place to retire to? A nice place to visit. Maybe even long-term. I just find it hard to imagine it as a place I would want to spend the end of my days in.

I think for a lot of people, if you are relocating to a completely different place, nice weather is important. It isn't everything, but a strong consideration.
Never thought of Finland as a place to retire either. If I wanted that climate I'd choose northern Scotland where the locals speak English or at least close approximation of it.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 4:05 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by Super Mario

OP has family there. That's why it appears to be on this list.

I've never heard much about Finland being a retirement destination for non-Finns. Copenhagen or Oslo....maybe?

If I really loved traditional snowy winter, I think I'd prefer the Colorado Rockies or Austrian alps over a far north location. That's just me...
SPN Lifer likes this.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 9:04 pm

Programs: IHG Diamond, Delta PM, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
If I really loved traditional snowy winter, I think I'd prefer the Colorado Rockies or Austrian alps over a far north location. That's just me...
Denver's winters are sunny and relatively mild- you can get a blizzard on Monday and then it's up to 10C/50F by Wednesday. If you want more consistent snow, it's not that far to get up into the Rockies.

I grew up in western Michigan. The Great Lakes typically keep winter temperatures from getting Minnesota/Manitoba cold but the Lakes also lead to clouds (and Buffalo-style lake effect snow) and you pretty much never see the sun from December through March.

If we stay in the States for retirement, Denver's currently the top of our list. It just really fits our lifestyle well.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 10:15 pm
mjm
Original Member

I will split time between Tokyo (currently live here) and Vienna.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.