Community
Wiki Posts
Search

translating English into English

Search this Thread

Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: NullPointerException
Originally Posted by Mart81
it is incomprehensible that main meals are referred to as "entrees" in the US.
YES!

Drives me bananas.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Delta, United
Pissed USA == mad, UK == Drunk

Of course these two probably wished they translated their English tweets into American for the DHS.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ter-jokes.html
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:03 pm

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
Bonnet in terms of a hat isn't widely used (if at all) these days - it went out with the Victorians, apart from in parts of Scotland where I believe they call the tartan Tam O Shanter hat a bonnet......

Got a couple more

US Vest - UK waistcoat
US Tank top - UK vest
US Billfold - UK wallet
US Gas pedal - UK accelerator
US (school/staff) cafeteria - UK Canteen
US Take out - UK takeaway

But there is so much regional variation here that even natives can have problems. Scots and Irish in particular have words that none of the rest of us understand....

The "half eight" thing is a UK wide saying and definitely means 8:30

Re the junk in the trunk question up there - have no idea... personally I call it hubby's "mobile shed"
What about that old UK phrase of encouragement.."Keep your pecker up!".
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:11 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
US - ATM

UK - Cash Machine
Old Jul 26, 2012, 4:45 pm

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
In the town where I grew up woodlice are known as 'cheese logs'.

On another site I am a member of we have a lot of fun translating between American, English and Australian with odd bits of Canadian thrown in. Texan is still a mystery though
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:05 pm

First time I went to the UK and went to the hotel to check in. I was there before check in time and my room wasn't ready, so I waited in the lobby. I asked the receptionist at the front desk where the restrooms were. She looked very confused and had no idea what restrooms were. She said "Um, I think there might be some at the place across the street?" I wandered around and eventually found them myself, where the sign above reminded me that the Brits call them toilets.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:12 pm

Programs: KLM/AF Platinum for life, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
My sister married an Englishman. At the rehearsal dinner, I was seated with my brother-in-law's brother and girlfriend. They were in black tie and little black dress. My cousins and their wives were in church-going boots (ladies and men) with string ties, silver belt buckles and western suits (embroidery on lapels) with the ladies in their floral print dresses. The Brits were drinking wine and my cousins, beers out of the bottle. I spent the whole evening translating from Queen's English to TX/LA/OK Redneck and back.

"We took the tube to the hotel and when I stepped off the pavement to cross the street, a lorry almost ran me over and if there hadn't been a sleeping policeman there, he just might have" to "He took the subway to the hotel and when he stepped off the sidewalk to cross, a truck almost ran him over and would have it hadn't slowed down for the speed bump"

Made for an interesting evening.
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:23 pm

Originally Posted by travelmad478
Actually, it can work in upstate NY, too. I went to college in Ithaca and heard that term from someone I worked with who was from a very small town about 20 miles away. I've never heard it anywhere else, but I don't spend a lot of time in Wisconsin.

I have an American friend who moved to the UK about 20 years ago when she married a British guy. Once when I was visiting her in Wales, someone asked me the time, and I said "Ten of two." I got a big blank stare until my friend translated for me.
That can trip up even Americans sometimes. My girlfriend (now wife) and I were staying at a hotel before catching a 10:30am flight, and I guess I started talking or thrashing in my sleep. She woke a bit and said "what time is it?", and I looked at my watch, saw 3:50, and said "Ten of Four". She woke all the way up and started to bolt out of bed, thinking it was 10:04 and we were late for our flight...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by jmastron
That can trip up even Americans sometimes. My girlfriend (now wife) and I were staying at a hotel before catching a 10:30am flight, and I guess I started talking or thrashing in my sleep. She woke a bit and said "what time is it?", and I looked at my watch, saw 3:50, and said "Ten of Four". She woke all the way up and started to bolt out of bed, thinking it was 10:04 and we were late for our flight...
Wait the pitch blackness outside didn't clue her in it's not 10am?!
Old Jul 26, 2012, 5:43 pm

Location: Catania, Sicily/South Jersey (PHL)/Houston, Texas/Red Stick/airborne in-between
Programs: United Global Svs, AA PlatPro, WN RR, AZ/ITA Freccia, Hilton Diam, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz Prez, IHG
Originally Posted by CarolynUK
My ones....

Soccer in the US - football everywhere else in the world.
I've heard Soccer, pretty much all the time, in Canada and Australia also. I'll presume it is because they also have their brand of "football".

And in Italy it is calcio, not football or some derivation like "futbal or foosball".

To the guy asking about a #2 pencil, that has to do with the hardness of the lead. #2 is the right softness for kids in school and such. #1 is much hard and the highers softer.

It happens in the USA too, especially when I hear soda called "pop". Pop could be your father but not your drink...
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:18 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by nrr
I was in Las Vegas at a breakfast buffet, and a pax from Australia was asking the various buffet employees where he could get some porridge, no one could help him, when I came to his aid by translating porridge into oatmeal, was he able to get what he wanted.
Have others encountered similar things (where the words are in English yet they are specific to a particular country (locale)?
"Two great nations, divided by a single language." - Sir Winston Churchill 1874-1965
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:20 pm
djs

Programs: UA, Hertz Gold, AA Gold, DL Silver
Try going into an ice cream shop outside Rhode Island and ordering a "cabinet".
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:25 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by stevenshev
South Africa is a huge offender. Half of SA "English" is just Afrikaans, which always makes it amusing when the saffirs go to other parts of the world and generate the blank stares.
^Lekker, man! Baie dankie.^
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:31 pm

Programs: UA, DL, B6, WN
Originally Posted by Yaatri
To this day, I haven't been given a reliable explanation of what #2 pencil is. I gave up and assumed that it's the same thing as 2B.
Actually, a #2 pencil is equivalent to HB "lead". (Actually, I'm not sure what the US term for pencil lead is - is it also lead?) You can read all about it, of course, on Wikipedia: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pencil
Old Jul 26, 2012, 6:32 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
http://engrishfunny.failblog.org

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.