Reload this Page >

Rant on deplaning

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Rant on deplaning

Search this Thread

Old Aug 2, 2012, 6:00 pm

I've noticed that the rush to the front is something that has gotten worst in the past few years. I guess it's just the DYKWIA syndrome we have in our society these days. Most passengers, once upon a time, would remain seated until it was getting closer for their seat location to deplane, then got luggage and was ready to go. This made the process faster as it was a pattern all could follow, so it benefitted everyone.

In additional, passengers actually used to put their baggage where their seats were located. On the last couple of flights I was on, I had to place my baggage several rows behind my seat. This seems to be a new trend and also part of the DYKWIA phenomena.
Old Aug 2, 2012, 11:27 pm

Programs: Aeroplan Elite, Delta Gold, SPG Gold, Fairmont Platinum, Hertz Gold
I think that a big part of the problem is the significant jump in size, quantity and weight of carry-on bags since airlines started charging for checked bags. It is not uncommon for me to see a few people halfway back or more trying to pull their 10 bags out of the overhead bins take so long to do so that all passengers ahead of them have already exited the plane by the time they are ready to move.

As a few others mentioned, if I can't get a seat at the front of the cabin, I'll try to just move quickly ahead as far as I can until people start to stand up. I won't push by anyone once they're standing in the aisle, and just wait my turn from that point onwards. I only started doing this after others started to bring their walk-in closets as carry-on luggage.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 6:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Oh, carry-on luggage has slowed down the process of deplaning to a huge extent. It is, at once, frustrating and comical. Apparently, Peter Bogdanovich was a genius beyond all comprehension, because today, people really are traveling with their igneous rock collections in their carry-on bags, just like Dr. Howard Bannister. Just don't touch his rocks! (I'd give FF miles to anyone who catches the reference, if I could!)
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:21 pm

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Originally Posted by ysolde
Oh, carry-on luggage has slowed down the process of deplaning to a huge extent. It is, at once, frustrating and comical. Apparently, Peter Bogdanovich was a genius beyond all comprehension, because today, people really are traveling with their igneous rock collections in their carry-on bags, just like Dr. Howard Bannister. Just don't touch his rocks! (I'd give FF miles to anyone who catches the reference, if I could!)
"What's Up Doc?" with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. And Madeline Kahn. Classic movie.
You can just sponsor an upgrade for me :-).
Old Aug 4, 2012, 11:59 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAdvantage Executive Platinum, Delta Silver Medallion, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador
Originally Posted by eefor jfp
"What's Up Doc?" with Barbra Streisand and Ryan O'Neal. And Madeline Kahn. Classic movie.
You can just sponsor an upgrade for me :-).
+1,000
Old Aug 6, 2012, 5:21 am

Programs: SPG Plt, Hilton Dia, Marriott Plt, Hyatt Plt
Smile So your that guy ....

Originally Posted by monksy
My comment was pretty much lets say you're at the gate, the seatbelt sign is off etc, but they aren't letting you off the plane yet. This happened to me at ROC last night on a turbo prop. I have my two bags, and I stand in the line that is the asle. What I'm referring to is the people that didn't wait in the line, and then try to jump in when you're trying to move forward.

Most people who do this have a bag in the overhead. At best I would say they could get up, get the bag out in 30 seconds. Often its takes more because the bag is heavy, their too short, the bag is huge, or the bin is small at the opening.

What I'm suggesting, let the people who brought just one carry on and stuffed it under the seat go quickly, let the people who didn't carry anything go, let the people that are already standing and in line to go empty the plane. Theres no need for rushing to tear your bag out of the baggage.

/end of rant

EDIT: If there is a line, wait, if there is a gap of at least 4 rows go ahead and get your things.
Second Ninja Edit: Carry on bags have gotten a lot bigger. If i'm waiting in line in the aisle I'll help those around me get their bags. I might even help my row get their bags. Even if you have a tight connection its not always possible to get a seat close to the front.
There is always one guy that never learned manners at home or in school. I have seen you at Sporting Events, on Planes, Movies, Department Stores even at Church!. Probably not you fault entirely, your parents were probably the same way and you followed in their footsteps. The term is "how you were raised". Here are a few tips in case you ever wish to obtain some class and dignity in public places;

1. Handicaped and elderley people - we wait on them. We offer to assit them when possible. We never try to rush them - EVER.

2. We assist people who need it in getting their luggage down from the overhead - even when they are ahead of us because the overhead was full... Try it, you will see it adds a perception of class when you offer to help (which I am guessing you could use) and also speeds up the process. It also just feels good.

3. Wait your turn - It is not like the dinner table where you grab as much as you can as fast as you can - This again is public, you wait until the row ahead of you is clear and then proceed to disembark. Bonus points if you are in the Asile, step back a step, allow your row to exit before you do so they dont feel rushed.

4. Relax, you'll get there
Old Aug 6, 2012, 9:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
People generally leave front to back. This is inefficient. Look at it from the viewpoint of the doorway: at any given time, there is either a person or a gap walking through the doorway. The plane is empty when all the passengers have left. This happens earliest when there are fewer gaps walking through the doorway.

When a passenger stops the line behind him (delaying 50+ people) in order to let one person in front of him into the aisle, and that person stops to take down a suitcase, there is a long gap leaving the plane. Repeating this tremendously increases the total time until all pax are off the plane.

If all the people in the aisle leave without stopping, then others (after they pass) can get down their luggage without creating gaps. This speeds up overall exiting.

It would also allow the airline to turn the plane around faster, leading to fewer cascading delays or more efficiency and higher profits/lower fares.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM, NR; HH Diamond, Bonvoy LT Gold, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Diamond, others
Originally Posted by lsumegan
The problem is that if everyone went as soon as they "could", those in the middle seats and at the window would always be last. How do you not see the problem with this?
Which is better: the people in window seats are mostly last off, and the plane is empty 7 minutes after the door opens; or the people in the back row are last off, and the plane is empty 12 minutes after the door opens?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 3:31 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
Originally Posted by sethb
Which is better: the people in window seats are mostly last off, and the plane is empty 7 minutes after the door opens; or the people in the back row are last off, and the plane is empty 12 minutes after the door opens?
*Except*..in numerous cases, the person in the aisle and the window person are traveling together ( in 2x2 configs with 1 aisle) or there are many other family type combinations that window and aisle would want to leave together. have you accounted for that Mr/Ms. concentration camp manager?
Old Oct 12, 2012, 4:21 pm

That only works for airlines that do not charge extra to sit towards the front. Well and it assumes that everyone is traveling alone or doesn't mind being seperated from their party.

If pay extra to sit towards the front of coach, my expectation is that I can disembark before those people who opted not to pay that extra fee and chose to sit towards the back. And to be honest, I don't think it's possible to implement the system you are suggesting, primarily because I think there will always be someone in a middle or window seat who sees an opening and makes a move to get off the plane.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 7:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by psusaver
*Except*..in numerous cases, the person in the aisle and the window person are traveling together ( in 2x2 configs with 1 aisle) or there are many other family type combinations that window and aisle would want to leave together. have you accounted for that Mr/Ms. concentration camp manager?
So your unwillingness to be separated from your partner for 2 minutes should make me miss my connection? If you're unwilling to be separated at all, wait until everyone else has left, then leave together. That way, your requirements cost you time, not everyone else.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:10 pm

Programs: AA, HH, UA, Amtrak
So your unwillingness to be separated from your partner for 2 minutes should make me miss my connection? If you're unwilling to be separated at all, wait until everyone else has left, then leave together. That way, your requirements cost you time, not everyone else.
Perhaps you can cite scientific studies that use queuing theory and have simulated this problem.
Also you might want to correct your unwillingness to book flights with enough connection time in between. Accept responsibility for missing your connection, the universe does not revolve around you.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 5:20 pm

Programs: Double Platinum all programs (Shh it's a secret level)
Deplane by row. I've never heard of anything else. How long does it take, 8 minutes to clear the entire plane? U gonna be bothered by 480 seconds? Be courteous, clear the plane by front to rear by row, and just wait until the row in front of you retrieves their bag.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 11:56 pm

What about those with tight connections?

Hi! My first post. I've been reading here for a long time and this topic got me to finally register.

I have an upcoming flight from MSY>ATL>CTL. When I bought the ticket there was a 45 minute layover in ATL (this short layover flight had the best landing time to meet my sister from her incoming flight). I just got an email from the airline changing my flight times so that now I only have a 30 minute layover in that huge ATL airport in which I have to jump on a tram to change to another terminal.

Plotting this out in my head, I would only have a backpack under the seat (no other carry-on). As I land I'd slip the backpack out and when the seatbelt sign goes off, I'd unbuckle and quickly walk to the front of the airplane to get off as soon as possible. I would try to stand in such a way that anyone who would want to stand up could do so.

I know I am gaining maybe 4? minutes by doing that, but after reading this thread, I discover that this is very obnoxious and rude.

IS IT very rude? Wouldn't people understand that others have very short connections to catch? Should I not worry about it?
Old Oct 14, 2012, 2:22 am

Originally Posted by medic51vrf
Not sure who should go first but in my experience bad things usually happen when they try and go together....
Epic

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.