Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What sources do you all trust for hotel recommendations?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:33 pm
Original Poster

Are there any hotel guides (print or online) that people here really trust and rely on?

I read the Conde Nast Johansens guides, but suspect sometimes the hotels pay for coverage. Does anyone know that?

I also like the Mr and Mrs Smith guides and the hotel tips in the Luxe guides. I also look out for hotels on the Centurion Magazine website.

Anyone else have good experiences with any other guides?

PS. Yes, similar versions of this question havebeen asked already, but are a couple of years old. Travel changes o quickly that I was curious to hear people's current thoughts and hopefully get some tips.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:41 pm
In memoriam

Read this forum and ask your questions here.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 4:56 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
try

tripadvisor.com
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Korean Air Skypass, ANA Skyweb, Amex Premier Rewards, Chase Sapphire Preferred

Yes, i agree Tripadvisor.com is the best
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:28 pm

Programs: Delta SILVER Medallion; Alaska Mileage Plan; HiltonHHonors GOLD; Starwoods GOLD

I rely on TripAdvisor a lot.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:32 pm

TA - but only if there's a ton of reviews. Just like Yelp with restaurants, it's now getting worked by unscrupulous hotel owners and managers. wj
Old Jun 24, 2012, 5:39 pm

Programs: United, Delta, Southwest, AA, IHG, Starwood, Hilton
This forum, the Fodor's forum, and if you throw out the high and low, TripAdvisor can be useful. Easy to game though.

You can find really detailed reviews of the best hotels in Latin America at that link. Travelfish.org is great for Southeast Asia.

Andrew Harper's Hideaway Report is really trustworthy, but you have to pay to subscribe.

Johansans and the like are paid programs: the company pays a hefty fee to be a part of that reservations system. Same with Leading Hotels of the World, Small Luxury Hotels, Preferred, Design Hotels, Tablet, etc. etc. So you're never going to read anything negative on their sites, that's for sure.
Old Jun 24, 2012, 9:06 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Please continue to follow this thread in the TravelBuzz Forum.
Thanks...
Obscure2k
Luxury Hotels
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:03 am

We like to read the poor reviews first, then the recent reviews that are posted for the hotel. Also will factor in the number of responses for the hotel. Other aspects we would consider: location and amenities.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:03 am

I use Tripadvisor, but since I tend to stay in budget hotels I'm not really reading to find out if the service is good or the restaurant is nice. I tend to just look at user submitted photographs to get an idea of the quality of the room, and scan the reviews to make sure there's no glaring problem that gets mentioned a lot.

For that level of insight, Tripadvisor is pretty good. When I have stayed in higher end hotels I've found that I tend to disagree more with a lot of the reviewers (maybe it's because I go to a lot of touristy places, but I care mostly about WiFi, access to printers, and having a quiet room where it's easy to sleep - that stuff often gets overlooked in the reviews I see).
Old Jun 25, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: HHonors-D, Delta Silver, IHG Plat
Top Choices

I usually use Tripadvisor and occassionally Oyster.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 7:14 am

Location: MEL, PER, PBO, occasionally ships, oil rigs and other places that no sane human being should ever find themselves
Programs: IHG RA, PC Plat, QF Plat/LTS
Here and TA. Lke someone else said, on TA I usually throw out the very high and very low reviews and otherwise look at the most recent.

The printed guide books are ok but are often biased and outdated not to mention very limited in variety.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:44 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by 8dimsum
We like to read the poor reviews first, then the recent reviews that are posted for the hotel. Also will factor in the number of responses for the hotel. Other aspects we would consider: location and amenities.
I use Trip Advisor and Yelp. And I, too, read the poor reviews first to see whether the stuff that would drive someone to give a place a lower rating is the same kind of stuff that would drive me to do the same. By throwing out the unreasonable, petty stuff you get a fairer assessment.

That said, I have been let down by TA a few times. Most recently I showed up at a Sheraton that had been soundly praised by seasoned reviewers and was disgusted with the condition of the property. I ended up switching hotels, which is something I rarely do.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 10:52 am

I usually rely on tripadvisor.
Old Jun 25, 2012, 1:55 pm

Programs: Various
It only covers the hotels that you can book through the website (which is a substantial limitation, admittedly), but I have come to rely increasingly on the reviews on booking.com, particularly in Europe. The reviews are from guests who have actually stayed at the properties, and have a numerical average assigned. I've found that hotels with over 80 or so reviews and a score of 8.5 to be quite good (at least by my standards).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.