Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MasterCard Travel Checks

Search this Thread

Old Jun 12, 2012, 1:18 am
Original Poster

MasterCard Travel Checks

(Apologies if I am posting in the wrong thread. Please move where appropriate)

My mom has a set of Master Card/Thomas Cook travelers checks she bought almost 10 years ago. She has tried to use them while holidaying but many of the banks do not recognize the checks. (The last she tried to was in Thailand in May).

I searched Master Card and Thomas Cook website only to find that only some countries have a Thomas Cook office. (From what I understand, its called Travelex. Correct me if I am wrong). Would it be possible to exchange the travellers checks for a more widely accepted TC or get a cash at face value?

She bought it almost 10 years ago so she's already taking a hit with the exchange rates if she were to use it now. There isn't much security of carrying T/C that aren't accepted.

Any suggestions, thought, opinions will be much appreciated. Many thanks.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:10 am

Originally Posted by CordW

My mom has a set of Master Card/Thomas Cook travelers checks she bought almost 10 years ago. She has tried to use them while holidaying but many of the banks do not recognize the checks. (The last she tried to was in Thailand in May).

I searched Master Card and Thomas Cook website only to find that only some countries have a Thomas Cook office. (From what I understand, its called Travelex. Correct me if I am wrong). Would it be possible to exchange the travellers checks for a more widely accepted TC or get a cash at face value?

She bought it almost 10 years ago so she's already taking a hit with the exchange rates if she were to use it now. There isn't much security of carrying T/C that aren't accepted.

I don't think any traveler's checks are "widely accepted" these days. Ubiquitous ATMs have rendered them obsolete. She should exchange them for cash now regardless of the exchange rate.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry8530/5.0.0.1030 Profile/MIDP-2.1 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/417)

Originally Posted by CordW

In which currency were the checks issued? In what country does your Mom reside?
Old Jun 12, 2012, 9:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

not a good idea to bury currencies. we have some russian, italian, french and belgian. most are not convertible to serviceable cash. someplace there should be an issuing bank name. go see them.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 7:35 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by telloh
I don't think any traveler's checks are "widely accepted" these days. Ubiquitous ATMs have rendered them obsolete. She should exchange them for cash now regardless of the exchange rate.
Travellers Checks in US Dollars, issued in Japan.

She had bought them when we were going to the State often. Back then I guess it was safer and easier to carry TC instead of using cards without knowing the related fees. Also, I think they had some problems using credit card too. Even if it had the Visa or Master Card logo on it, some places didn't recognize the issuer、and I think they also carried credit cards could not be used outside of Japan.

My parents now carry credit cards that can be used overseas. But I think they still fear of having their pin numbers stolen or find unauthorized use in their monthly statements.
Old Jun 12, 2012, 8:27 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk

Can they just be deposited into her bank account? That will probably be the easiest way to take care of it.

The other option is to bring them to a Thomas Cook Travelex office and cash them there, though just depositing them will probably be best.

Travelex bought Thomas Cook a dozen years or so ago.
Old Jun 13, 2012, 6:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cordelli
Welcome to Flyertalk

Can they just be deposited into her bank account? That will probably be the easiest way to take care of it.

The other option is to bring them to a Thomas Cook Travelex office and cash them there, though just depositing them will probably be best.

Travelex bought Thomas Cook a dozen years or so ago.
Yes she could if she was living in the US with a US$ bank account.

But we are in Japan. And I think she wants the Dollars instead of Yen. She's going to take a major hit with the exchange rate if Travelex forces her to convert the T/C back to Yen.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.