Wiki Posts
Search

Stop in Toronto or Newark?

Search this Thread

Old May 31, 2012, 4:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat

I'm flying from YQB to DFW and need to make a stop in Toronto OR Newark. Which would be better, considering customs, checking bags, etc.?

Thanks in advance!
Old May 31, 2012, 5:14 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Newark.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:08 am

Programs: AA GLD, AC
I would say Toronto. EWR is generally a third-world disaster of an airport.

Normally I'd say it would depend on which airline you fly, but if you fly through EWR I'm assuming you'd be either on UA/CO, which is an utter mess these days, or AC, which is exiled along with US and other unloved airline stepchildren to the embarrassing Terminal A. In either case, EWR is a depressing place to be.

Also, if by going through YYZ you end up flying AC instead of UA/CO, you win.

Last edited by M60_to_LGA; Jun 1, 2012 at 1:23 pm
Old Jun 1, 2012, 8:55 am

Programs: UA; Amtrak
The only reason I can think of to choose EWR is if you have a long layover (>4 hours) and want to make a quick visit to New York City.

EWR is more prone to delays, especially short-haul flights like YQB. If there is a difference in clearing customs and immigration, I seriously doubt that it would be the better experience.

As previously noted, AC > UA/CO generally speaking, certainly while UA/CO works through its merger-related issues.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:41 am

EWR is so easy to handle being a smaller airport.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 11:54 am
Original Poster

Thanks for the feedback so far. Here's more details on the airlines...

YQB > YYZ on WestJet, YYZ > DFW on AA
YQB > EWR on United, EWR > DFW on AA

Thanks!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 12:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Newark is part of the incredibly overcongested NYC airspace and suffers frequent delays. You might miss your flight.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:26 pm

Programs: AA GLD, AC
Originally Posted by aznaphrodite

YQB > YYZ on WestJet, YYZ > DFW on AA

Thanks!
I'd still say go through YYZ. EWR is in general awful, and as other posters have already noted, the potential for delays, missed connections, and other generalized chaos is far higher there than in YYZ.

Plus if you have to hang out for a while in the airport, YYZ is a far better place to be than EWR, especially Terminal A.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:51 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Does one of them have a significantly shorter total gate-to-gate duration? Does the one with the shorter duration have an uncomfortably short connection? I usually err on the side of the shorter duration unless the reason it's so much shorter is because it's right up against the minimum connection time.

I've never flown out of YQB...I assume you do U.S. immigration there like at most Canadian airports? Is that process significantly calmer at YQB than YYZ? (Although to be honest, I've never encountered a terrible U.S. immigration delay at any Canadian airport...maybe I've been lucky.)

If all things are equal and you're looking at, say, 3 hours on the ground in either place and nearly equal depart/arrival times, I'd definitely choose YYZ over EWR. EWR is a depressing, depressing place. Makes Philly looks cheery by comparison.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 1:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC

YQB > YYZ on WestJet, YYZ > DFW on AA^

Thanks!
WS and AA are both T3 at YYZ, get off the plane, clear US CBP and off to your gate.

If you fly into EWR from YQB you will do arrival CBP immigration and then custom along with all other international arrivals. Then a terminal change to AA.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:44 pm

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by tentseller
WS and AA are both T3 at YYZ, get off the plane, clear US CBP and off to your gate.

If you fly into EWR from YQB you will do arrival CBP immigration and then custom along with all other international arrivals. Then a terminal change to AA.
There ya go...that makes YYZ the winner unless the times/duration are strongly in favor of EWR...
Old Jun 1, 2012, 2:54 pm
Formerly known as I_Hate_US_Airways

Programs: My Loyalty Programs? I now VOTE with my wallet!!!
Talking easy answer…

Toronto all the way! New York City air traffic is not the worst in the country.
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:21 pm
Original Poster

Thanks, everyone! I've got about 6 options for each route so I'm pretty sure I'll find one with enough connecting time.

Thanks again!
Old Jun 1, 2012, 3:30 pm

Programs: UA Gold; AA Dirt; HH Diamond; National Emerald; CONTROL SecretAgent Platinum; KAOS EvilFlyer Gold
Thanks, everyone! I've got about 6 options for each route so I'm pretty sure I'll find one with enough connecting time.

Thanks again!
Then, based on what tentseller and pinniped said, I'd also recommend YYZ as a clear winner, since there is no preclearance at YQB. I'd say your trip would be a LOT smoother dealing with CBP preclearance at YYZ and staying in the same terminal rather than CBP at EWR international arrivals followed by a terminal transfer.
Old Jun 2, 2012, 4:53 pm

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9930; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.11+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/7.1.0.163 Mobile Safari/534.11+)

Definitely YYZ. Willingly choosing to connect at EWR when other reasonable options are available is a sign of issues.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.