Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What is the most dangerous thing you have done while traveling?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What is the most dangerous thing you have done while traveling?

Search this Thread

Old May 30, 2012, 4:22 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Would love to share, but I was made to sign a non-disclosure agreement by the Egyptian military and was told never to go back to Egypt...
Old May 30, 2012, 5:13 am

Originally Posted by roberino
Would love to share, but I was made to sign a non-disclosure agreement by the Egyptian military and was told never to go back to Egypt...
What are they going to do if you disclose? Arrest you?
Old May 30, 2012, 5:58 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
Originally Posted by Bloodshot2k
Was in mexico, got car jacked. Was told to come out of the car at gun point by 3 men. Took one of the guys gun, turned him around getting him to shield my body from the other two. Broke his callor bone with the butt of the gun. Told the other two to lay down on the ground and waited for cops to arrive.
Did the cops rob you?
Old May 30, 2012, 7:51 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by sparkchaser
What are they going to do if you disclose? Arrest you?
That is something I really, really, really would rather not experiment with if it's all the same to you?
Old May 30, 2012, 7:57 am

Fair enough.
Old May 31, 2012, 7:55 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
- Charged by an elephant whilst on safari in Kenya. Turns out we had a substitute driver because the main one had been maimed by a charging elephant the week beforehand.
- Gone out clubbing with 3 attractive European girls in Joburg in a neighbourhood my black friends regard as too unsafe for them to go out in.
- Attending pre-Presidential election demonstrations in Azerbaijan where people are attacked and a couple allegedly killed.
- Similarly, being driven home in Joburg by a drunken "taxi driver" of an old Mercedes which didn't have any breaks. Where we came across traffic we just ditched on the side of the road.
- Wandering around Harare at night.
- Getting lost around the Azeri border with Dagestan, possibly accidentally crossing over into the war-torn Russian territory.
- Going for lunch in Kosovo shortly after the war finished. It all looked oddly normal apart from the odd convoy of fully armoured American tanks.
- Clinging to the front of a speedboat in Thailand going to the full moon party during a total lunar eclipse meaning that it was unusually dark and they couldn't see the other speedboats.
- On that note, narrowing avoiding a supertanker in the Caribbean whilst sailing at night on a small yacht.
- Driving for 60km on the highway outside Soweto township in Joburg with a car bumper stuck on with sticky tape because we figured that would be safer than being stuck by the roadside (my friend had to ditch her car there once and the windshield was smashed in within 30 minutes)
Old May 31, 2012, 10:38 am

Originally Posted by EuropeanPete
- Charged by an elephant whilst on safari in Kenya. Turns out we had a substitute driver because the main one had been maimed by a charging elephant the week beforehand.
- Gone out clubbing with 3 attractive European girls in Joburg in a neighbourhood my black friends regard as too unsafe for them to go out in.
- Attending pre-Presidential election demonstrations in Azerbaijan where people are attacked and a couple allegedly killed.
- Similarly, being driven home in Joburg by a drunken "taxi driver" of an old Mercedes which didn't have any breaks. Where we came across traffic we just ditched on the side of the road.
- Wandering around Harare at night.
- Getting lost around the Azeri border with Dagestan, possibly accidentally crossing over into the war-torn Russian territory.
- Going for lunch in Kosovo shortly after the war finished. It all looked oddly normal apart from the odd convoy of fully armoured American tanks.
- Clinging to the front of a speedboat in Thailand going to the full moon party during a total lunar eclipse meaning that it was unusually dark and they couldn't see the other speedboats.
- On that note, narrowing avoiding a supertanker in the Caribbean whilst sailing at night on a small yacht.
- Driving for 60km on the highway outside Soweto township in Joburg with a car bumper stuck on with sticky tape because we figured that would be safer than being stuck by the roadside (my friend had to ditch her car there once and the windshield was smashed in within 30 minutes)
You are a lucky person.

One thing I used to do during my college days is riding my motorcycle above 90mphr during rush hours. I was addicted of it.
Old May 31, 2012, 10:49 am

Programs: UA, Bonvoy, Amex Plat
Toss-up:

Getting into trouble on the "bad" side of Koh Samui island, where my traveling companion had to literally beg for his life before we were saved by an off duty cop

or

getting swept up in an anti-foreigner riot in China and subsequently being detained for four hours by local police.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 7:11 pm

Programs: Delta Gold/US Air Gold/GHA Black
In no particular order:

chased by bull elephant while in Botswana. I was getting money from an ATM. We see flares being shot behind the building and next thing a huge elephant comes running around the corner (turns out the local wildlife police were trying to get the elephant away from the buildings and instead herded him towards us. We took off with the elephant running behind us. About a 100 yards or so later, he veered off back into the bush.

shark diving with great white sharks off the coast of south africa.

petting grown cheetahs -- told they were tame before entering the compound. this changed to semi tame after one of them swiped at my friend.

swimming in the ganges.

riding a 3wheeler (TEMPO) at night in India and realizing that the driver reeked of alcohol.

driving at night on rural alabama highways.
Old Jun 22, 2012, 9:46 pm

Programs: AS MVP, A3*S
Worn a Bruins jersey into the Molson Centre during the playoffs.
Old Jul 9, 2012, 2:01 pm

Not exactly what I personally did, but dangerous nonetheless...

I was a newbie FF, and clueless. My flight to Dallas via IAD was cancelled. There was no flight available until the following day. Got on my phone and found exactly one hotel available...not sure what was happening in the IAD area, but there was barely a hotel room to be found. The hotel I found was 45 minutes away from IAD. It was about 10:00 pm when I got a cab and told the driver where we were going (I had an address, but that was it)-- This was before GPS's and smartphones. After about 1 hour in the car, it was obvious this guy was lost. We ended up on back roads, going through dark, seedy neighborhoods at one point. He ended up having to stop for gas since we had been driving so long. I thought about ditching him at the gas stations, but he had my luggage in the trunk, and for reasons I can't recall, I decided against it. At one point the driver (who spoke broken English) offered to take me to his house and I could spend the night with him and his girlfriend..."she be happy to help...we have spare room!" (UMMMM...THANKS BUT NO THANKS). I got very nervous...called my husband and relayed my concern. My husband said not to worry...this guy's not dangerous, just stupid (how he knows that is a long story for another thread). Feeling less nervous and more angry, I finally told the driver to take me back to the airport, which he did, concluding this three-hour ride. Turns out he wasn't even in the right state! I had to pay him $300-some-odd dollars (my luggage was in the trunk), but my husband got it back the next day with an angry phone call to the dispatch (was told "driver will be castrated!" LOL) I ended up sleeping on a heating register at IAD...uncomfortable, but at least safe. Will never leave an airport that late again, unless it's in a hotel shuttle or rental car! At least I have a (now) funny story to tell.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 10:43 am

Programs: Etihad Guest Silver
Most dangerous thing done on holiday.........I think you had better get yourselves a drink and sit down.

As you can tell by my log in name I love scuba diving. A few years ago I was on holiday in Sicily with some friends and business partners who were diving instructors. We were boat diving on a daily basis and soaking up the sun.

One day, Guiseppe the dive boat owner took us for a drift dive. We all rolled into the clear blue water of the Med and set off.

Now I should point out that for a scuba diver I don't DO enclosed spaces. No caves, tunnels, etc. I like to know that if I need to get to the surface that there is nothing in my way.

We passed numerous caves during the week, which everyone else explored and I stayed outside where I was 'safe'.

On the day of the drift dive, suddenly a very very strong current came along and swept the whole party towards some underwater rocks. It was a really strong current (the fish looked as if they were swimming backwards!!). We grabbed onto the rocks and were flapping in the current.

Guiseppe got into a cave and pulled everyone else in with him. They dragged me in last. I could feel the panic rising in me. It was clear from the cave entrance that there was no going back out there.

Normally, when diving I carry a torch. Not today. I was not expecting to be anywhere dark. (stupid really as I had NEVER dived without my torch or strobe) OMG it was dark. As the dive guide went to explore the cave he disappeared from sight. I should point out at the moment that Guiseppe is a very fit and rather handsome Italian with 'come to bed' eyes.........

My partners encouraged me to follow Guiseppe. Hell, my heart beat was so fast and my stomach churned like mad. I'm telling myself to calm down and preserve my air. Slow down your breathing......the air will last longer.

Off we go to the back of the cave, it gets worse. The cave leads to an underwater 'chimney' and I was shoved along the chimney by my buddies, following old blue eyes. Off the chimney was a tunnel......F*** don't these guys remember I don't do enclosed spaces.....?????

The tunnel was a long tunnel, just large enough for a diver to swim through (remember the cylinder on my back) and I'm following Guiseppe trying to breathe slowly and repeating in my head...."I am NOT going to ****ing well die, I AM going to see my kids again" over and over. (and over and over).

By this point it seemed as though we had been diving for hours.....with the cold, the fear and the heavy breathing I was getting very fatigued.

Suddenly, light ahead......Guiseppe had brought us out further along the crop of rocks. Boy was I relieved to see sunlight.....then followed an underwater 'yoga' session with old blue eyes looking at me....(swooooooon) and helping to calm my breathing. He signalled to look into his eyes and breathe in and out slowly.

We still had a fair swim to the boat which gave my dive buddies chance to practice their 'rescue towing' of a diver (me!) and when we got back on the boat they put the oxygen on me for a while and wrapped me up. I fell asleep.

I had no physical after effects other than being shattered, and I still will not dive and swim in caves or enclosed spaces but I did survive and had a great story to tell the kids when I got home.
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:19 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
Originally Posted by sunnyjl
Not exactly what I personally did, but dangerous nonetheless...

I was a newbie FF, and clueless. My flight to Dallas via IAD was cancelled. There was no flight available until the following day. Got on my phone and found exactly one hotel available...not sure what was happening in the IAD area, but there was barely a hotel room to be found. The hotel I found was 45 minutes away from IAD. .....

......Turns out he wasn't even in the right state! I had to pay him $300-some-odd dollars (my luggage was in the trunk), but my husband got it back the next day with an angry phone call to the dispatch (was told "driver will be castrated!" LOL)
Where did he take you....West Virginia?!
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:21 am

Programs: UA GS, AS MVP 100K, DL Diamond, Marriot Lifetime Titanium, AmEx Centurion
In no particular order:

Guide in Somalia offered to "let me shoot gun into hills, take pictures." Uh yeah, just what I need, a pic of me firing automatic weapons in Somalia. Next flight would be by USAF drone I suspect...

Jumping off the Vic Falls Bridge by bungee....shortly before the cord snapped and another lady plunged into the river below.

Hid under a tarp in a van to the airport while protesters were throwing rocks at the van.

Those are the ones that come to mind....
Old Jul 10, 2012, 11:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/LTP, BA GGL/CCR/GfL, HH D/LTD, SPG/MR Plat/LTP
Originally Posted by Paint Horse
Traveled by highway in Egypt.
Driving the "scenic" route in Egypt

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.