Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

are there still foreign countries where banks let visitors open numbered accounts?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

are there still foreign countries where banks let visitors open numbered accounts?

Search this Thread

Old May 17, 2012, 7:51 am
Original Poster

no... I have no money to launder or hide. Just thought it would be fun to have one and keep a couple hundred dollars in it.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:08 am

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Switzerland?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:39 am

Programs: AA EXP
Lots of countries will let you open the account and put the money in, it's getting the money out that can be problematic.
Old May 17, 2012, 10:44 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by kebosabi
Switzerland?
I had a Zurich hotel concierge look into it for me the last time I was there. She found out that it was no
longer possible for a US citizen to do it. (at least none of the banks she called was willing to do it) The
strange thing was that the banks said it was okay, if I had my Canadian passport with me. They said
I could get a numbered account even with just a minimum 100 Euros initial deposit. I am dual US/Canada
citizen, but I was traveling with my US passport only at the time. Guess I'll have to visit Switzerland with
my Canadian passport next time?
Old May 17, 2012, 10:59 am

Programs: QF Silver
I've opened up an Australian bank account without a government issued Tax File ID number (US citizen, US address). The only downside is they withhold 10% of your interest without having the number on file. I don't think I'd open up a foreign account with a couple hundred dollars for fun as many banks will ding you with low-balance fees.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
You need a country whose banks don't deal with the U.S. (or have a presence in the U.S.) A little landlocked country sadwiched between two landlocked countries (hint: all 3 are in central Europe) would probably it the bill.
Old May 17, 2012, 11:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
You need a country whose banks don't deal with the U.S. (or have a presence in the U.S.) A little landlocked country sadwiched between two landlocked countries (hint: all 3 are in central Europe) would probably it the bill.
You mean that little country name L.....?

Last edited by CenterWaters; May 17, 2012 at 11:29 am
Old May 17, 2012, 2:21 pm

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by CenterWaters
I had a Zurich hotel concierge look into it for me the last time I was there. She found out that it was no
longer possible for a US citizen to do it. (at least none of the banks she called was willing to do it) The
strange thing was that the banks said it was okay, if I had my Canadian passport with me. They said
I could get a numbered account even with just a minimum 100 Euros initial deposit. I am dual US/Canada
citizen, but I was traveling with my US passport only at the time. Guess I'll have to visit Switzerland with
my Canadian passport next time?
As you are a US citizen, you are required to file your taxes every year. You are also required to divest details of every overseas bank account and the holdings within it (within various ranges). Not doing this can land you in major trouble with the US authorities.
Old May 17, 2012, 2:47 pm

Programs: QF Silver
Originally Posted by ajax
As you are a US citizen, you are required to file your taxes every year. You are also required to divest details of every overseas bank account and the holdings within it (within various ranges). Not doing this can land you in major trouble with the US authorities.
For a couple hundred Euro this is not required. If you have an aggregate of more than $10K held in foreign banks within the calendar year you are required to submit a TD F 90-22.1 form to the U.S. Treasury. This filing by itself does not trigger any tax ramifications but any foreign interest or gain must be listed on your federal & state return. Note that this filing is based on the high-water amounts within each account... If you opened an account with $5K in foreign bank A then closed the account & moved it to foreign bank B you'd have to file $5K for each account and since the aggregate would be $10K you'd have to report it even though it's the same amount of money offshore.
Old May 17, 2012, 4:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Deltaworst Peon Level, TSA "Layer 21 Club", NW WP RIP
Originally Posted by YVR Cockroach
A little landlocked country sadwiched between two landlocked countries (hint: all 3 are in central Europe) would probably it the bill.
A little OT but hey this is a travel forum. There are two double landlocked (a landlocked (obviously duh) country surrounded only by landlocked countries). What is the other one? (I found this looking up a recent political event. Hint.)
Old May 17, 2012, 4:07 pm

Originally Posted by Flaflyer
A little OT but hey this is a travel forum. There are two double landlocked (a landlocked (obviously duh) country surrounded only by landlocked countries). What is the other one? (I found this looking up a recent political event. Hint.)
In Europe or in the World?
Old May 17, 2012, 4:08 pm

Uzbekistan and Liechtenstein.

Last edited by yyzvoyageur; May 17, 2012 at 6:10 pm Reason: spelling...oops!
Old May 17, 2012, 4:09 pm

Programs: BA
Uzbekistan
Old May 17, 2012, 5:57 pm
Original Poster

Since people and Wikipedia keep track of stuff like this,
I'd like to know why. Are there disadvantage to being
double-llandlocked? I guess it's perfect for people
who are afraid sharks and/or pirates? (0% chance of seeing
either one)
Old May 17, 2012, 6:09 pm

Originally Posted by CenterWaters
Since people and Wikipedia keep track of stuff like this,
I'd like to know why. Are there disadvantage to being
double-llandlocked? I guess it's perfect for people
who are afraid sharks and/or pirates? (0% chance of seeing
either one)
Presumably they'd have to negotiate with two other countries for access to a seaport.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.