Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Why does boarding an elevator confuse so many?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Why does boarding an elevator confuse so many?

Search this Thread

Old May 11, 2012, 12:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
They are waiting for people to get off in case there are any

They are waiting for the elevator to stabilize, so it doesn't bounce a bit when they get in.

I don't think they are confused at all, I just think they probably have a better understanding of how elevators work.
Old May 11, 2012, 8:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: MR/SPG LT Titanium, AA LT PLT, UA SLV, Avis PreferredPlus
Originally Posted by rmartinez
This seems to be part of a general phenomenon - as soon as a decision must be made, stop and think about it.
Like the people who get through the checkout lane, the cashier gives them a total, they stare dumbfounded for a second, then start searching for payment? Like they had no concept they would actually be asked to pay?

At least they don't dig out checkbooks at that moment anymore.
Old May 12, 2012, 5:42 am

Originally Posted by chgoeditor
People who barrel onto elevators without waiting for passengers to exit and those who stop at the top/bottom of escalator drive me nuts. Assuming they seem to be healthy and able bodied, I don't hesitate to bump against them with a loud "excuse me."
my best experience with this behavior was when i was moving into an apartment and holding my cat's scratching post in front of my chest so that it was sticking out 2ft in front of me. the elevator door opened and someone charged in, and ran smack into the post!
Old May 12, 2012, 6:50 am

Programs: BA EC Gold
Originally Posted by LTBoston
MY pet peeve is people who linger at the top or foot of escalators, gazing about in wonder, as other passengers pile up behind them.
I work near a busy Tube station in Central London, and people (usually tourists) stop right after exiting the barriers, blocking people behind them all the time. It is absolutely maddening.

People who barrel onto elevators without waiting for passengers to exit and those who stop at the top/bottom of escalator drive me nuts. Assuming they seem to be healthy and able bodied, I don't hesitate to bump against them with a loud "excuse me."
This happens when getting onto and off of Tube trains as well quite frequently. Usually a loud "how are you going to get on the train if I can't get off?" will cause people to disperse.

Originally Posted by danpass
Also people who stop at doorways/intersections to chat with each other.
Oh, mate. I have a couple of colleagues who make corridor-blocking into an Olympic sport. And they have the temerity to give you a dirty look should you dare to want to walk past and expect them to move. There are plenty of places to stand and chat, but only one place to walk. Yeesh.
Old May 12, 2012, 8:38 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
My pet peeves:

1. When the doors open and the person waiting for the elevator has to ask "Going up?" or "Going down?" when the light panel clearly shows which direction the elevator's going. If I'm feeling snide I'll say something like "yes, see those lights there? When the up arrow is lit, that means it's going up."

2. When someone waiting for an elevator on the ground floor (i.e., nothing below you) asks "Is this elevator going up?"
Old May 12, 2012, 10:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
No playing the elevator! Only where you go there. Don't try to push the button.
Old May 13, 2012, 10:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Interpol
My pet peeves:

1. When the doors open and the person waiting for the elevator has to ask "Going up?" or "Going down?" when the light panel clearly shows which direction the elevator's going. If I'm feeling snide I'll say something like "yes, see those lights there? When the up arrow is lit, that means it's going up."
Not all elevators have those lights.

2. When someone waiting for an elevator on the ground floor (i.e., nothing below you) asks "Is this elevator going up?"
Sure there's no basement?
Old May 13, 2012, 10:53 am

And then you have the people going to Costco who block the entry with their cart while they rummage through their purse or wallet looking for their membership card. Why can't they remember to get it out on the walk in from the parking lot?
Old May 13, 2012, 11:22 am

Programs: IHG Gold
Originally Posted by FQ5757
And then you have the people going to Costco who block the entry with their cart while they rummage through their purse or wallet looking for their membership card. Why can't they remember to get it out on the walk in from the parking lot?
Oh let's not even go there or we will soon be discussing why people in grocery stores line up, watch their groceries being scanned and bagged, and then and only then start opening purses and or wallets wasting everyone's time. Same thing at ATM machines..you got out of the car, wandered in, then went up to the machine, and you never figured it might be a good idea to get your bank card out? Sorry, I am not wanting to spend 5 minutes behind you while you search high and low in your gigantic purse.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:44 am

Programs: AA ExPlat, IHG Spire Amb
How about people who push both the up and down buttons since they think that will make the elevator arrive faster?

It succeeds. Unfortunately, half the time it arrives going in the wrong direction, slowing everybody's day down, and maybe even theirs as its slower to finish its load and return in the direction they actually want....
Old May 13, 2012, 12:13 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by mapleg
Oh let's not even go there or we will soon be discussing why people in grocery stores line up, watch their groceries being scanned and bagged, and then and only then start opening purses and or wallets wasting everyone's time.
We've already gone there and beyond:

Originally Posted by CPRich
Like the people who get through the checkout lane, the cashier gives them a total, they stare dumbfounded for a second, then start searching for payment? Like they had no concept they would actually be asked to pay?

At least they don't dig out checkbooks at that moment anymore.
Old May 13, 2012, 11:03 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, Amex HHonors Surpass, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Loren Pechtel
Not all elevators have those lights.
I know. I'm talking about the elevators that do.

Sure there's no basement?
Yes.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.