Wiki Posts
Search

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves, 2012 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 10, 2012, 10:45 am

Programs: UA 1P
Originally Posted by bitburgr
Mini ironing boards.
And crappy irons...especially ones that don't have a burst of steam button.
Or when the "burst of steam" is actually a "squirt of dirty water."
Old May 10, 2012, 10:50 am

Originally Posted by Christopher
[*]The cost of a simple breakfast in many business-style hotels, especially (but not only) in the US: $30 . . .
Your comment includes the explanation: the vast majority of guests in those hotels don't have to pay for the breakfast out of their own pocket, so they don't care if it costs $30 or $7.95.

This is also why breakfast and the internet is free at budget hotels and costs at business-oriented hotels.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:05 am

Originally Posted by danpass
the only solution is to fill up a cup, then fill the container. back and forth, back and forth ...... lol
Absolutely. And that wouldn't really worry me too much if I were staying at the Rest Easy Motel in Dullsville. But if I'm paying hundreds of dollars a night to stay in a top-flight hotel, or even just a good hotel, it is irritating in the extreme.
Old May 10, 2012, 11:07 am

Originally Posted by telloh
Your comment includes the explanation: the vast majority of guests in those hotels don't have to pay for the breakfast out of their own pocket, so they don't care if it costs $30 or $7.95.

This is also why breakfast and the internet is free at budget hotels and costs at business-oriented hotels.
That's no doubt true, but that doesn't make it right, or even sensible, really.

Anyway, the consequence when I'm not staying on business is that I often take myself off to a local eatery for breakfast.
Old May 10, 2012, 12:15 pm

My current pet peeve is internet connection that is so slow that video is not playable. Even more upsetting is if you pay for it and the connection is slow. I find this is getting worse rather than better, and hotels are not keeping up with new technology and the need for increased bandwidth
Old May 10, 2012, 12:48 pm

Programs: AA, WN, UA
Two things already mentioned:
(1) Insufficient power outlets or power outlets located behind furniture that must be moved
(2) Minor yet annoying maintenance problems that hotel staff should have noticed and indeed likely noticed, but haven't been fixed

One thing that nobody has mentioned yet:
(3) TV remote controls that change channels v.e.r.y s.l.o.w.l.y (like several seconds delay) - rather frustrating when you just want to flip through channels quickly
Old May 10, 2012, 12:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Controls for lights or shower etc. I have a degree, I just dont want to use it to operate the controls of somewhere I am staying for less than 24hrs.

It should be easy every time.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Porters that try to take our 19" Travelpros out of our hands. No thanks. We've got it.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:25 pm

Originally Posted by origin
Controls for lights or shower etc. I have a degree, I just dont want to use it to operate the controls of somewhere I am staying for less than 24hrs.

It should be easy every time.
Hmm... you mean the sort of light switches that require a degree in electrical engineering to be able to make them work effectively?
Old May 10, 2012, 1:46 pm

Programs: AA EXPlt, SPG Plt, Nat EE
I can't stand the hotels that make their own rules and ignore brand standards. Even worse, when they look you in the eye and lie.

More than once I've been told "this property doesn't participate" in one or more aspect of a loyalty program. It seems I'm not alone as the hotel forums are filled with threads about hotels not upgrading guests to the best available room or only giving coffee and not coffee and juice with the free breakfast.

It's bad enough to nickle and dime your best guests but by lying to us you make a hotel stay an adversarial relationship.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:51 pm

Programs: CO Plat, *A Gold (all peacefully retired)
One additional minor peeve - designing the bathroom layout such that the toilet paper is mounted behind the toilet.

One larger peeve - maids who do not replace the in-room coffee supplies. How hard is it to glance at the cache and determine that the two non-decaf pouches are used up?

And all rooms should at least have windows that open a few inches, if not more. I'll sign a waiver that my estate will not sue if I stupidly fall out and get killed.
Old May 10, 2012, 1:57 pm

Programs: Aeroplan/Hilton Gold/Marriott Bonvoy Titanium/Accor/Hyatt Gold Passport
Sony Dream Machine alarm clocks found in many Crowne Plaza Hotels.

Not for the technically challenged. Time is always incorrect from previous guests encountering the same problem and pushing every button trying to figure out the damned thing. Grrrr.
Old May 10, 2012, 2:49 pm

Programs: Skyteam Silver, BA Bronze
Blackout blinds narrower than window
No waste bin (ibis wembley, London)
Having to be a contortionist to reach toilet roll
Having to get out of bed to turn light on to FIND the toilet (4 seasons,Sydney)
Noisy aircon
Claiming to be a 5 minute walk from tube station, but ACTUALLY being 20 minutes... with luggage... uphill....

I'll consider more of these (im mobile atm)

Old May 10, 2012, 3:08 pm
Ambassador: Oneworld Alliance

Programs: BA Gold (GGL), Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, Marriott Gold
Staff dropping an unwanted newspaper outside my door at 5am (usually USA Yesterday)
Alarm clocks set wrong that cannot be re-set (Hilton Basel!!)
Light under the door
$10 water
Other people's plumbing and guts
Doors that slam so hard they shake the room next door
Old May 10, 2012, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Mostly been said already, but:

TV that resets itself to the hotel channel every time you turn it back on. Leave the channel where I was, thanks.

Millions of ads, etc. They all get swept into the desk drawer instantly.

A "courtesy" call to be sure everything's OK with the room just when I'm starting to take my post-arrival nap.

Go out and buy a bunch of $2 alarm clocks already. Something with three buttons - set time, set alarm, turn alarm on/off. That's all we need. No more sound machines and other absurd devices that you can't set to begin with and then can't turn off when you're awakened unexpected by the darn thing going off at 3 in the morning.

Quit resetting the HVAC in the middle of the night! What I hate the most is getting all settled, temperature just right, and then waking up in the middle of the night either stone cold or dripping with sweat.

When I arrange the room to my taste, leave it there for the duration of my trip. Leave the remote on the bedside table where I want it. How many times have I gotten all settled into bed, reach for the remote and THEN discover it isn't where I left it.

Remove room service trays from the hallway promptly, thanks. There seems to be some division of labor here, but if it were MY hotel every employee would be trained to pick up anything left in a hallway every time they pass through. Why is it acceptable for housekeep to make up the rooms on a floor but leave the room service trays in the hallway.

It is my belief that every hotel room should have a place to sit other than the desk chair or the bed. Give me an easy chair and Ottoman and I'm happy, just be sure there's a table next to it so I can put my drink somewhere and let me see the TV from it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.