What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves, 2012 Edition

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What Are Your Top Hotel Pet Peeves, 2012 Edition

Search this Thread

Old May 9, 2012, 1:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by saneman
1) Too many pillows and not one of them is a good enough thickness. Hey if you are going to have 1000 pillows on my bed, why not vary the thickness instead of the shape?
2) I forgot to put a Do Not Disturb sign, but I shouldnt have to expect housekeeping at 8:30 in the morning to clean my room. I should have a right to sleep undisturbed till 9. A maid walked in on me lying on the bed without clothes. This despite me saying "I am in" when I heard the door opening(no knock). This was not too long after the DSK scandal. So while I was not personally offended, I was thinking damn, did the maid have to be cute? Luckily the sheets were nearby to cover me after a second.
3) Less than pristinely cleaned toilets. Seriously, I do not need you to make my beds perfectly. I ened up throwing away half your pillows and loosening the sheeets so I do not feel trapped inside. use more effort in cleaning the toilet and less on making the bed, if for some reason you do not have the time to do both perfectly.
4)WIFI: Other than the pay for wifi issue, what is worse is you pay for it, then they restrict you to one connection and you have to complain in case you have two laptops and then get a waiver. Also paid or not, slow connections are unacceptable. A lot of the HIlton properties, especially Homewood Suites have incredibly slow connections.
5) low shower heads and low pressure showers.
6) if you are in Europe, ridiculous design of their bathtub based showers. THey have a half a freaking glass on their tub. Is the shower curtain concept alien to people in England and parts of Europe?
I stayed at a 5-star property over the weekend and I'm virtually certain that they did this. Several of the pillows definitely seemed to have a different density and thickness. I thought that was a very nice touch.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:35 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I am constantly amazed how difficult it is to find power outlets in convenient locations, even in otherwise very good hotels. I don't want to move furniture around to be able to reach that one free power outlet...
Old May 9, 2012, 1:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
- Horrendously expensive parking at upscale chains or too few parking spots at lower-scale chains. Especially annoying in winter or when carrying a lot of bags.

- Concierge services that suggest the hotel restaurant despite me asking them to suggest a restaurant for dinner not in the hotel.

- No outlets near the bed where I like to keep my phone with its convenient alarm.
Old May 9, 2012, 1:58 pm

Programs: DL GM, SPG Gold, Marriott Silver
I dislike continuously receiving a printed guest folio under my door at checkout, when I have repeatedly requested at check ins not to receive one, because the electronic one can be readily uploaded for expense report submission. If staff is unable to deliver one, do not ask me at check in if I would like an electronic folio and then fail to follow through.

I also travel solo for business and dread checking into hotels without advance notice of a rowdy convention or large group checked in, overcrowded hotel bars and restaurants result along with the late night hall noise mentioned by others.
Old May 9, 2012, 2:20 pm

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus
What about flat screen TVs with NO HD programming and the SD programming is in terrible stretch mode and even worse is you do not even get good SD quality either. They might as well have left the old tube TVs in there.

I don't care about TV in resort hotels because I rarely watch TV when I am on vacation, but in business hotels on weekdays, I expect a good selection of HD channels.
Old May 9, 2012, 3:20 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat, Marriot Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by drat19
TVs that always default to the "entertainment options" menu instead of actual TV. AND/OR: TVs that always default to the "hotel channel" instead of remembering the channel I was last watching.
+1

Or TV that defaults to an ungodly loud volume setting every time you turn it on
Old May 9, 2012, 4:58 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Is it inside the box in this thread to ask SanDiego1K how far this relationship with Frequent Business Traveler might go?

I think it's outstanding if it's considered a first gambit with the hope that all things are possible.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

Otherwise, they have my "rank" order. But the one they did miss, IMO, was the TV volume set - set, not just left by the last guest or housekeeping - really high, so that I briefly panic that it'll wake up the next door guest. To me, it's set when it opens with a blast everytime I turn it on.*

Oh, oh, and unsprinklered hotels!

Anyway, thanks for the opportunity. Fun its own way.

EDIT: Whoops, guess I could have hattipped to Redhead with "+1". I need to post when I write, and not just leave it to sit when there's a distraction.

Last edited by Firewind; May 9, 2012 at 5:14 pm
Old May 9, 2012, 5:02 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Housekeeping not following do not disturb signs (especially bad when a late check out is involved) and knocking or phoning to ask whether you mean it.
yes

also, rooms a maze's walk from the elevator
Old May 9, 2012, 5:04 pm

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
Rooms that stink of various sprays for cleaning and with layers of sprays that build up over time in the room because they think they can cover up smells like last month when some guy smoked a cigarette in the room just by spraying something. Rooms that somehow never smell fresh because of this. All hotel room windows should be opened (and be able to be opened) regularly to freshen the room.
Old May 9, 2012, 6:39 pm

Programs: DL FO, US Silver, MR Plat, HH Silver
Ditto the SD programming on HD TVs.

Also can't stand showers that leak. Its seems to be more and more common as more hotels seem to have walk in showers. I hate stepping out into a puddle of water. It would also seem to be a liability issue.

Also little maintenance things that housekeeping should be reporting. Like this week the temp knob on my shower clearing isn't installed correctly. The maids should be pointing this stuff out.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:26 pm

Programs: United Hotcake Preferred
I have many minor complaints that probably aren't worth mentioning here but my one HUGE pet peeve is that nearly every hotel I stay at, no matter how expensive, has supremely crappy irons. They produce zero steam even on the correct setting and somehow manage to kind of stick to your clothes. If I owned a hotel, particularly one that catered to business travelers, having decent irons in the room would be a top priority.

My other pet peeve is the inability to get a good level of darkness in the room. With so many technology devices present these days, I spend a fair amount of time unplugging things and placing objects in front of them.
Old May 9, 2012, 7:28 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: DL DM 4MM, Lifetime Marriott Plat Elite, HH Diamond
For me, I can relate to all of the "peeve's" already stated, but my most irritating expands on the motion sensing thermostats that leave the room frigid in winter and sweltering in summer. 1. Even better is when they limit the range of temperature! E.g., Embassy Suites Seattle - North Lynnwood. Maximum cooling 72 F. Shuts off after 15 minutes of no movement. I don't move much when I sleep and awaking to sweltering room in a pool of sweat is not my idea of fun.

Now I have learned how to override these thermostats (mostly because of the lousy stay at ES), but a guest should be able to request what is comfortable to them.

2. Further, I like to sleep with the fan ON - I like the white noise. Many of these systems will not allow this and turn on and off incessantly! Not to mention the noise level of the unit kicking on!

3. Somebody else's hair in the bathroom or god forbid the bed.

4. Hotels that don't launder the duvet between each guest.

5. Hotels that have flat screens TV, yet no HD.

6. Paltry TV channel selection.

7. Lousy in room coffee. Marriott especially!! Starwood uses starbucks.

8. Hot water. Need I say more? Try taking a shower in the early morning at the Rome or London airport Hiltons.

9. Water saving - I hate the shower heads (think Seinfeld episode), but I am now seeing these devices on the sink. Marriott's especially. Come on, does it save that much versus losing a customer? If it takes 90 seconds to fill a kettle, you've gone to far.

10 Lighting. I fully understand the need to use CFL for energy saving, but at least put in a decent wattage exchange. A 40 watt equivalent CFL is not a suitable reading light.

11. Overly expensive for no reason.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:16 pm

Programs: BA GfL
Those damn coat hangers you can't remove from closets.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:24 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by Christopher
[*]Lack of choice of radio stations – a hotel that offers 157 television channels really ought to be able to offer more than two or three radio stations.
Unless I'm missing something, how in the ever-living-h*ll is this the fault of the hotel? If you're staying in BF Egypt, you're lucky to get three radio stations.

My major pet peeve... lack of power outlets. Period.
Old May 9, 2012, 8:36 pm

Programs: Delta SkyMiles
the biggest one I have:

no wall hooks, sepcifically the type that can support an opened garment bag, a-la instant closest basically.

I've NEVER seen it in any hotel.

Do you know the extraordinary temptation to pound in .............. well never mind

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.