Community
Wiki Posts
Search

What's the MOST indirect routing you've ever put together

Search this Thread

Old Apr 22, 2012, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Manufactured Spending

Originally Posted by tonywestsider
Really? So how did you get from ROC-KOA-GUM-LIH-DAY? Any stops at atolls in between?

How did you get from AVL to ITO then MDT?
From KOA to GUM, I actually took a flying boat, which stopped at a few islands in between in order to refuel and pick up passengers.

When you are booking such a long itinerary, the airlines will make arrangements for you. I am also friends with TMWTMITW, he helps out a lot
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:07 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
A few years ago my friend and I wanted to go to Rome. He was in CA, I was in NC and instead of meeting somewhere, I flew to him. I went:

RDU-DFW-PDX-LAX-SJC on 12/30 then:

SFO-JFK-LHR-FCO on 12/31-1/1
Old Apr 25, 2012, 7:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by WHBM
he visited all the old way points in a single marathon trip where his ticket from London to Brisbane had 42 separate coupons, was about an inch thick, and had the travel agent who issued it say he was going to submit it to the Guinness Book of Records as the most complex ticket ever issued.
Back in 1980 I purchased an Unlimited Mileage Fare on Eastern Airlines. All flights had to be confirmed in advance and tickets issued. My ticket had 88 flight coupons and total travel was just over 105,000 miles in three weeks. Fares like that are a big part of why my flight memory map looks the way it does. I did alot of them over the years.

On a separate note, back in the days of joint fares (using 2 or 3 airlines in combination on the same fare) I purchased a NYC-DEN fare using the following joint fare allowance: NYC-PI-ATL-EA-MEM-BN-DEN. For those of you unfamiliar with the parlance of the day, this translates to using Piedmont from New York to Atlanta, Eastern to Memphis and Braniff on to Denver. On the individual legs, you could work within each carrier's allowable routing. Here was my final routing:

Piedmont: EWR-ORF-ILM-ATL
Eastern: ATL-MEM
Braniff: MEM-LIT-FSM-TUL-OKC-DFW-OKC-DEN

Normally no backtracking would be allowed but that first stop through OKC was hidden as part of a MEM-DFW milkrun. In all, eleven flights on three airlines from New York to Denver for $3.00 less than the nonstops on UA or TW.

Joint fares were an integral part of airline ticketing back in the pre-deregulation days. My skill at maximizing them is what got me noticed and into the industry in the first place.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.