Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What do you do that allows you to travel?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 17, 2012, 5:05 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist, Formerly Starbucks Gold
Thanks for all the advice.

I have had a previous (work-related) internship.

I think it is very important to step back and take a look at the larger picture, which is getting a job that is enjoyable first and foremost. Sometimes I lose track of that - it's also an issue of "take the first job that gets offered to you" - which isn't always the most glamorous option.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:02 pm

Programs: None anymore
IT Consultant.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 6:26 pm

Drug mule
Old Apr 17, 2012, 7:57 pm

Programs: Former UA Premex, now dirt
Retired.

Get the job and career that will allow you to retire early with enough continuing income so you can travel when and where you want. Travel when and where someone else wants, like oh say your employer, isn't as great as you might think.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 8:02 pm

Originally Posted by Braindrain
International prOn star.
There is less travelling than you'd expect. The industry is very concentrated in certain areas.
Old Apr 17, 2012, 11:38 pm

Programs: DL DM, HH Gold, SPG Gold, Hyatt Plat
I'm an engineer, but all my travel is for the family business installing medical lab equipment and going to trade shows. I have a few other friends who travel a good amount in the medical field for much larger companies. One does quality assurance and visits overseas manufacturing facilities to test products and procedures. another works for a medical device company and also travels overseas to work directly with doctors to make sure they are using the products correctly.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:31 am

I have a job I enjoy.. and which allows me to trade pay for time off...

This year I am taking 14 weeks vacation and doing 4 trips...

I have no dependents and no debts... and live quietly (well.. apart from the travel I suppose)

The only work travel I ever did was during my Navy time... and that wasn't exactly fun much of the time...
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:28 am

Own an internet-based software company. I travel as I wish for most of the year, working from serviced apartments and hotels. The other "employees" are actually contractors, and work from their homes in a variety of countries.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 3:36 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
I direct international programs for a private university in the States. I have been living in Seville the past four years as a home base for all our own and consortium programs, since most of our students end up in Europe. We end up living here about 9 months then 3 months with whatever programs need evaluating. Last year we were in Asia for a month, UK a month, and Prague for about two weeks. This year it looks like Turkey and Russia.

I have also been fortunate enough to receive various fellowships-grants with the US Department of State, resulting in a few years spent in the Russian Federation and Central Asia. They still call for short-term gigs, usually 1-4 weeks in length.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 10:30 am

Programs: No flights since April 2019 (Medical Issues). Lost all my status.
Once you finish your studies and start working, you will find that people will disregard your engineering specialty and simply think of you as an "engineer".

Many companies are looking for "field service" engineers who are willing to travel from site to site (usually in the Midwest) and enjoy staying at Hampton Inns/Holiday Inn Expresses/Fairfield Inns/etc. Once you've learned the business, then the "exotic" travel to Europe, Asia, etc will follow.
Old Apr 18, 2012, 11:18 am

Originally Posted by Cholula
Moving this to Travel Buzz where it may be merged with threads of a similar nature.

Cholula
CommunityBuzz! Co-Moderator
hi i need some help i need now howmany time i need for pass migration from a fly to amsterdam to mexico city, if i come from brithis airlines to klm royal duch airlines
Old Apr 18, 2012, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Welcome to Flyertalk, marvin999!

I tell the airline where I want to go, they take my credit card number and issue a ticket.

Simples!
Old Apr 19, 2012, 1:45 pm

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, Flying Blue Gold, PC Platinum Ambassador, Hilton Diamond
I am a designer and own my own company. I travel to trade-shows and for meetings mostly in Asia. My husband is a professor at the university and he is also traveling a lot for conferences and meetings. Luckily we sometimes can travel together.

Xxx.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 3:39 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
I work my ... off at two jobs 75-80 hours a week and don't buy designer clothes, drive a 5 year old car, live in an apartment and am single. Because of that I travel freely pretty much when and where I want.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 12:51 pm
Ambassador: Finnair Plus
Hilton 5+ BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: AY+ Plat, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Discoverist, Priority Club Plat Amb, Miles and Smiles Elite
I lead a team of economists and analysts. I travel quite a bit for conferences and then just to meet people.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.