Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

OK to park in front of someone's house and walk to the airport?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 15, 2012, 4:36 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!

Is it ok to park in front of someone's house and walk to the airport? It's legal, but is it right? When someone parks in front of my house, they get the evil eye and I think whether the person lives nearby.

Close to an airport, there are some homes that put obstacles in front of their house (cones or small barrels). If I am gone for only 1 day, I sometimes park for free. I usually drive a block longer so as not to torture those nearby houses, some of whom have obstacles placed on the street. If I am gone longer, I pay for parking because I don't want to torture them. If I am gone a week, I take the bus.

What is the honorable thing to do? Insist and park?
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:13 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
While it may technically be legal I think it's incredibly unfair to park your car for an extended period in front of someone else's home if you aren't doing something in that neighborhood. What if they have visitors coming later who need to park there?

It's one thing to park in front of someone's house because you're visiting their neighbor but to park in front of someone's house and then leave the neighborhood is crossing the line IMO.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:19 pm

Programs: Emirates Skywards, Mileage Plus, OneWorld, Qatar Airways Privilage Club
Maybe the more respectable thing to do is ask the homeowner if you can park in front if you will be doing that semi-frequently, and only IF they have a driveway, otherwise if you're taking up THEIR parking space, then it's not ok.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:21 pm

Programs: Not care as much as before...
it can be towed away.......
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:24 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
If the street parking is public parking, then it's perfectly fine. People may be upset about it, but they have no claim to the street side parking in front of their house.

If it's in an area that requires resident permits or something like that that's a totally different issue.

If they don't want airport people parking in front of their house they should work with their local government to put in regulations to prevent it like people have done in other airport areas.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 6:48 pm

It may be completely legal but it is somewhat inconsiderate to park in front of someone's house to save a few bucks in parking fees, or because you think that it's a safer place than the airport parking lot or for similar reasons.

Originally Posted by ssoonngg123
it can be towed away.......
If the street has restricted parking then it can be towed fairly quickly. It not, then depending on the municipality it may take several days before parking enforcement will do anything about it.

It may be possible for neighbors to get together and request the city/whatever designate their block as a restricted parking zone but this can take a very long time, especially given the current budget shortfalls in many cities.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 7:02 pm

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by uszkanni
If the street has restricted parking then it can be towed fairly quickly. It not, then depending on the municipality it may take several days before parking enforcement will do anything about it.
I don't even like leaving my car on my own street when I'm traveling. Parking is unrestricted, but sometimes they'll put up temporary no-parking zones on short notice for film shoots, utility work, etc. Saying "but I was away for 3 weeks and couldn't move my car" won't get me out of the towing and storage fees.

And I certainly wouldn't want to leave my car in a neighborhood where I was unfamiliar with such peculiarities.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 10:36 pm

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by cordelli
If the street parking is public parking, then it's perfectly fine. People may be upset about it, but they have no claim to the street side parking in front of their house.

If it's in an area that requires resident permits or something like that that's a totally different issue.

If they don't want airport people parking in front of their house they should work with their local government to put in regulations to prevent it like people have done in other airport areas.
yep
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:12 pm

Programs: UA, AA, SPG
I used to live in a city where overnight street parking was prohibited, even though there weren't any signs indicating this fact. I'd caution against doing this unless you know you won't be at risk of being towed.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 11:25 pm

I'd say that's really cheap and inconsiderate.

If you're not a starving artist or student or something, which you probably aren't, if you have a car and you take the plane often enough to wonder where to best park, it's really pretty low. How about a taxi? Or ask a friend to drop you off in your own car, then park the car back at home. Or the airport shuttle?

And, not sure on this, but I imagine that if you travel for business, expenses like parking, shuttle and transport are tax deductible. OK, you still pay something for it but it still lowers your tax burden.

Since you are asking what's the honorable thing to do and you have given yourself the answer, start thinking about the other options outlined above.

Till
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Cheap and inconsiderate. If you're gone too long expect to be towed. People living in such areas are aggressive about reporting such vehicles.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 2:50 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Originally Posted by maize&blue
I used to live in a city where overnight street parking was prohibited, even though there weren't any signs indicating this fact. I'd caution against doing this unless you know you won't be at risk of being towed.
I have cousins out on Long Island and their city had an ordinance like that. Here in CA I'd be more worried about abandoned vehicle ordinances. I know at my PD if we put a warning on your car, and you didn't move in three days, you could be towed off. You won't find a single sign anywhere in the city alerting anyone of that law.

It was not unusual to get calls at the PD about parking disputes when one neighbor parked in front of another neighbors house. I recall one of those disputes resulted in a murder. There was no prohibition about where one could park on the street.
Old Apr 16, 2012, 5:45 am

Programs: MUCCI, BA Blue
It might be legal but it's also inconsiderate. An excellent way of getting your car vandalised or reported as abandoned.

It also makes the street more dangerous - the road my road leads on to is permenantly clogged with the cars of people who are too cheap to pay for the railway station car park, pulling out onto it is a nightmare and how no children have been hit I do not know (two schools in a very close vicinity).

And finally... how would you like it if somebody dumped their car outside YOUR house?
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:21 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by exilencfc
It might be legal but it's also inconsiderate. An excellent way of getting your car vandalised or reported as abandoned.

It also makes the street more dangerous - the road my road leads on to is permenantly clogged with the cars of people who are too cheap to pay for the railway station car park, pulling out onto it is a nightmare and how no children have been hit I do not know (two schools in a very close vicinity).

And finally... how would you like it if somebody dumped their car outside YOUR house?

because my PROPERTY does not include the STREET i have 0 claims for it and thus 0 reason to complain

if someone were to park their car in my HOUSE , that would be another matter
Old Apr 16, 2012, 8:25 am

Programs: NW Gold and now Delta Gold
The neighborhood near MSY is pretty much zoned for crack dens, so no, I wouldn't recommend anyone, ever, do such a thing. I used to live near the airport when I was saving for my house, and my truck was only safe because it was a F100 so it blended into the ambience. Because of the noise, I think you're going to find that most neighborhoods near airports are extremely undesirable and not the kind of place you should leave your car on the street. You need to be young, alert, and fast on your feet in such neighborhoods. If you think the local crackheads haven't noticed a car that hasn't moved in a few days, think again. Odds are high that your tires and valuable metals will be gone and sold by the time you get back from your trip. Best thing to do is have a friend drop you off/pick you up from the airport. If you are utterly without friends, you can still hire a taxi. Catch a bus. Something...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.