Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Any cheap flights on B787 from east coast US?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:25 pm
Original Poster

I'm looking to fly on the 787 - doesn't matter where to, just has to be from the east coast (pref BOS/EWR). Looking for a good deal, with a short time commitment (ideally would like to fly Friday afternoon/night and be back before Monday morning).

Any ideas?
Old Apr 8, 2012, 2:51 pm

Programs: UA,WN,AA,DL, B6
No 787's are flying yet from BOS or EWR or no any airport in the United States. Not sure about what the schedcules are for latter this year.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Well, JL will fly the dreamliner BOS-NRT later this year but certainly not the short turnaround you have in mind.

No domestic airline has any immediate plan to fly the plane.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 4:31 pm

There's Air Canada, but you need to wait 2 years
Old Apr 8, 2012, 5:40 pm

Programs: AA Plat, CX Silver
Chances are UA will fly the 787 on some domestic routes for training purposes once they take delivery. IIRC the 777 was flown on IAH-LAX a lot for those purposes.

Your best bet is probably going to be a UA flight on whatever route they choose this time, especially since rumors in the UA forum are that EWR-IAH is a likely route for it start on.

You'll have a short timespan to do it though, they'll want to move those birds international as soon as they can.
Old Apr 8, 2012, 6:21 pm

Norweigan will have JFK-OSL in the 787 sometime next year. We're getting SAN-NRT on JAL in December. Woot!
Old Apr 8, 2012, 8:40 pm

JAL starts boston-nrt service april 22nd (4x weekly)

http://www.flightglobal.com/news/art...nation-357278/

http://www.aa.com/viewPromotionDetails.do?fN=BOSTYO.xml
Old Apr 8, 2012, 10:11 pm

Get some United/US Airways miles and do something like NYC/BOS-(LH)-FRA-(NH 787)-HND and return.
Old Apr 9, 2012, 12:02 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by j-rad
I'm looking to fly on the 787 - doesn't matter where to, just has to be from the east coast (pref BOS/EWR). Looking for a good deal, with a short time commitment (ideally would like to fly Friday afternoon/night and be back before Monday morning).

Any ideas?
Carve out a couple extra days and do an NRT trip. ^ I'm looking forward to flying one of these planes too, but I'll probably wait until there is either a West Coast to Asia route or East Coast to Europe. Seems like overkill to try to get to Boston to then fly to Asia...

So I imagine it'll be 2014 before I'm on a 787...
Old Apr 9, 2012, 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by briannahoffner
JAL starts boston-nrt service april 22nd (4x weekly)
This is also my suggestion, if you have 40K AA miles AA has a 40K RT US to Asia promo through the end of May. See thread here. Could go out on a Friday afternoon and be back by Sunday morning.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.