Wiki Posts
Search

Same day multi-city itinerary and baggage claim

Search this Thread

Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: OZ Diamond
Same day multi-city itinerary and baggage claim

I'm trying to buy the flight tickets for SFO->IAH, and I found SFO->IAH->AUS has a much cheaper ticket which include exactly same flight I want for SFO->IAH.

If I don't have any checked baggage, I guess I can just buy that tickets and leave IAH airport without using the 2nd leg.

The problem is, I will have a baggage which is too huge for carry-on.

If I bought a multi-city itinerary for SFO->IAH, IAH->AUS (Same day), can I claim my baggage at IAH? (I don't want use the 2nd leg.)

My concern is that the airline staff at SFO will give me a baggage tag directly toward AUS, and I am not sure I can refuse it. Since it's NOT a "one-way" itinerary, maybe I can do that. Do you think it's gonna work?
Old Apr 6, 2012, 8:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Welcome to Flyertalk.

If you do a search for Hidden City Ticketing you will find numerous threads about it, it's easily the most popular question on Flyertalk.

While it depends on the airline, the chances of the airline short checking your bag are not good. If you do it and have a very long time between flights, you may be able to convince them that you need your bag in IAH for something, but in most cases, they won't short check it.

You will not be the first person to try, and they will know exactly why you are asking.

Also be aware if this is a round trip, once you skip IAH to AUS, any return flights will be cancelled.

But to answer your question, no I don't think it will work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.