Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Pet Peeve - Lap Babies

Search this Thread

Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:03 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
Originally Posted by Yaatri
What it means to me is that FAA feels that holding infant in arms provides better safety than an infant belt. Quite possibly FAA just allows or tolerates car seats because disallowing them will subject FAA to a rebellion from parents.
Not the case at all. See below.

The FAA's own words: "Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in a government-approved child restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap?"

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:08 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
Not the case at all. See below.

The FAA's own words: "Did you know the safest place for your little one during turbulence or an emergency is in a government-approved child restraint system (CRS) or device, not on your lap?"

http://www.faa.gov/passengers/fly_children/crs/
Please read what I wrote. I was making a comparison between infant in arms and infant secured with an infant belt.

As to your plug in about a CRS, you are flat wrong. Your child will be safer in a tank.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 8:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Child in car seat, facing direction prescribed - safest

Lap Child in lap belt - safer (car seat excluded) for other passengers

Lap child not in lap belt - safer (car seat excluded) for baby.

Originally Posted by emma69
I don't think not is a question of offered or not - on some airlines they are mandatory and on others, specifically US and Canadian as I understand it, prohibited.
I never looked into the reasons why U.S. airlines don't provide infant belts to
parents. Something should be provided for securing a lap child.
  • Infant lap belts are prohibited.
  • Parents claim that an FAA approved car seats make children safer.
are mutually incompatible. In the other thread, someone chimed in that FAA is more safety conscious than European aviation authorities. The above inconsistency does not suggest that at all. What it means to me is that FAA feels that holding infant in arms provides better safety than an infant belt. Quite possibly FAA just allows or tolerates car seats because disallowing them will subject FAA to a rebellion from parents. Some parents want their children medicated for every little sniffle, just to be safe, that is.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:10 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by MIT_SBM
I could see them adding YQ [fuel surcharge] to carry the extra weight. Afterall they will charge a tidy sum if your luggage is "overweight". I am not saying a baby/child is luggage, but they are not weightless.
Airline liability for carrying the exyra weight is limited. By liability of a baby is not. Do you think anyone can put a value on a baby?
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Moineau
In every FT thread about children someone invariably brings in the issue of adults snoring/drunken businessmen etc ad nauseum. Those issues are a non-sequitur.
I see... Mentioning other people who might make noise and keep pax awake is a non-sequitur [sic] when discussing how babies might make noise and keep pax awake.

Got it. ^
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:27 pm

Programs: PA WorldPass Platinum, AA, DL, LH. GHA Black, SPG and HHonors Gold
WestJet today announced a solution perhaps, the child-free Kargo Kids program.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 9:55 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by jspira
WestJet today announced a solution perhaps, the child-free Kargo Kids program.
Interesting that this program is introduced on April 1st.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 10:58 pm

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by rbwpi
Interesting that this program is introduced on April 1st.
You did watch the ENTIRE video, no???
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:04 pm

Originally Posted by Moineau
In every FT thread about children someone invariably brings in the issue of adults snoring/drunken businessmen etc ad nauseum. Those issues are a non-sequitur.
Originally Posted by nerd
I see... Mentioning other people who might make noise and keep pax awake is a non-sequitur [sic] when discussing how babies might make noise and keep pax awake.
Moineau is 100% right. Just because there are other annoyances on a plane that might keep someone awake doesn't change the fact that children do also. People bring up drunk passengers, etc. to try to change the topic at hand (most likely because they have obnoxious kids as a result of their bad parenting) but it doesn't work for those of us with common sense. You can list a dozen things that may be annoyances on planes, but it will never change the fact that children are near the top of the list.

To the issue at hand... the discussion should have nothing to do with comparing the safety of cars to the safety of an airplane. Or whether or not the only way to truly keep a baby safe on a plane is to put them in a tank. Again, people bring these things up because they have weak arguments so they're trying to steer the conversation away from the point. Which is...in this day and age, regardless of the risks, sometimes families with infants need to travel in cars. The safest way to do this is with the infant in a car seat. And in this day and age, regardless of the risks, sometimes families with infants need to travel on planes. The safest way to do this is with the infant secured with a seat belt in a seat, just like everyone else on the plane is required to be. The logical way to do this is with a car seat.

There are many stories of people flying into the air and getting injured (even killed) in severe turbulence. Obviously this would easily happen to a baby that had no way of being properly secured. Sorry, mama's arms don't count. As it stands now, the law is wrong about this and any parent who takes their baby onto a plane without using the safest method and just crosses their fingers that they won't hit rough turbulence...well...I just don't know what to say about that. In all honesty, it's a little frightening.
Old Apr 1, 2012, 11:57 pm

Programs: DL, UA, AA, BA, AS, SPG, MR, IHG, PC
Originally Posted by tommyleo
You did watch the ENTIRE video, no???
Unfortunately no.

Point well taken.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 12:03 am

Programs: Former long-time US GP; now AA dirt
Originally Posted by hedur
Moineau is 100% right. Just because there are other annoyances on a plane that might keep someone awake doesn't change the fact that children do also. People bring up drunk passengers, etc. to try to change the topic at hand (most likely because they have obnoxious kids as a result of their bad parenting) but it doesn't work for those of us with common sense. You can list a dozen things that may be annoyances on planes, but it will never change the fact that children are near the top of the list.

To the issue at hand... the discussion should have nothing to do with comparing the safety of cars to the safety of an airplane. Or whether or not the only way to truly keep a baby safe on a plane is to put them in a tank. Again, people bring these things up because they have weak arguments so they're trying to steer the conversation away from the point. Which is...in this day and age, regardless of the risks, sometimes families with infants need to travel in cars. The safest way to do this is with the infant in a car seat. And in this day and age, regardless of the risks, sometimes families with infants need to travel on planes. The safest way to do this is with the infant secured with a seat belt in a seat, just like everyone else on the plane is required to be. The logical way to do this is with a car seat.

There are many stories of people flying into the air and getting injured (even killed) in severe turbulence. Obviously this would easily happen to a baby that had no way of being properly secured. Sorry, mama's arms don't count. As it stands now, the law is wrong about this and any parent who takes their baby onto a plane without using the safest method and just crosses their fingers that they won't hit rough turbulence...well...I just don't know what to say about that. In all honesty, it's a little frightening.
While I agree 100% with your first paragraph, I disagree completely with the reasoning your other two paragraphs. As has been posted countless times on FT in the past, it's all about probabilities. If you force every baby on board to have a car seat, some parents will opt to DRIVE instead. And driving is unquestionably more risky than flying. So to prevent more babies than necessary from being driven in cars, babies are allowed to be lap children on planes. End of story.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 1:19 am

Programs: HGP/SPG: Apprentice Kettle; UA/AA/DL: Journeyman Kettle
Airline liability for carrying the exyra weight is limited. By liability of a baby is not. Do you think anyone can put a value on a baby?
Yes, one can put a value on a baby. Others may not like the value so placed but it can be done and has been done.

Every time a parent/guardian makes the decision not to spend their life's fortune on the baby in their care they are placing a value on said baby. Every time a parent/guardian decides not to obtain the best/safest/healthiest/least risky item or service, regardless of expense, inconvenience or required effort, for the baby in their care they are placing a value on said baby.

It is a reality for most people and societies that resources [including money] have to be allocated. And that allocation assigns value relative to all other things being considered.

Last edited by MIT_SBM; Apr 2, 2012 at 1:34 am
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:49 am

Originally Posted by nerd

Got it. ^
(sigh) It happens in every thread where misbehaving or noisy children/babies are mentioned, and it never adds anything to the discussion. I'm glad you got it, please feel free to start a new thread discussing snoring passengers - there will be a multitude of people who will agree with you. Myself included.

No doubt within ten messages someone will say "if you don't like it then go buy a private jet". It's the way these threads go.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 3:54 am

Originally Posted by hedur
Thanks Hedur, if I'd read this I wouldn't have bothered with my own response.
Old Apr 2, 2012, 5:45 am
Suspended

Yes, one can put a value on a baby. Others may not like the value so placed but it can be done and has been done.
That's a silly argument, entirely for he sake of argument. But that was precisely the point I made. It seems that you didn't get it. Its like belling the cat. Luggage is valued at about $9 per pound. Can anyone come uop with the formula for compensation if your baby was lost/damaged?

Every time a parent/guardian makes the decision not to spend their life's fortune on the baby in their care they are placing a value on said baby. Every time a parent/guardian decides not to obtain the best/safest/healthiest/least risky item or service, regardless of expense, inconvenience or required effort, for the baby in their care they are placing a value on said baby.
Sorry, I differ. They are assessing risk. They are simply being rational

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.