Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

What's the definition of "well traveled" or "world traveller"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 18, 2012, 2:55 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!

Ha, ha, I don't mean BA's World Traveller!

Years ago, friends were joking that someone was a world traveller for having been to Europe twice. What's the FT definition?

Possibilities:
1. Been to 50 countries. A country counts even if just at the airport.
2. Been to 100 countries. Too strict a definition.
3. Been to 25 countries but must be located in at least 5 continents.
4. Body passed through every longitude. For Americans, flying between India and Singapore is probably the hardest stretch as Indian bound passengers often fly through Europe and Thailand or Singapore is reached usually over the Pacific.
5. Minimum of 20 trips and at least criteria 3.
6. Minimum of 2 years abroad and 20 countries.
7. other
Old Mar 18, 2012, 6:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
a world traveler is well traveled.....

for me,feet on the ground in 7 continents,24 time zones, 106 countries, ~200 tcc "countries", 50 us states,around the world on ships.....still missing cuba & suriname in n & s america....

i/we made a big mistake taking a lot of cruises & foregoing bus/driving tours, so missed a lot of inland countries & wont even think of it now....
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:21 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, BA Silver, A3 Gold, EK Gold, HH Gold, Sixt Dmd
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
Years ago, friends were joking that someone was a world traveller for having been to Europe twice. What's the FT definition?
Well, that's true for the average American, since 90% of American's don't have passports.. Going to Cancun once already puts you in the top 10% of American's who travel haha.

It all depends who you are comparing yourself to. It's all relative. I've been to 29 countries and 29 states, but compared to a lot of people on these boards, I've barely left the house. Compared to my friends though, I'm freaking Magellan.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:38 pm

Programs: Lots of them, no status
I don't really think there is a country count, but if you've visited and experienced more than a handful of the world's great cultures, then I'd say you're well on your way.

By "world's great cultures" I guess it's somewhat continental, but not exactly. For example:

Eastern Europe
Central and Western Europe
Southern Europe/Mediterranean Coast
North Europe
North American
Caribbean
Latin American/South American
China, Japan, Korea
Thailand, Vietnam, and other countries of southeast Asia
Hawaiian and other Polynesian-influenced locations
Australia/New Zealand
Middle Eastern/North African
Sub-Sahara African
Old Mar 18, 2012, 7:40 pm

Originally Posted by somethinpositiv
I've been to 29 countries and 29 states, but compared to a lot of people on these boards, I've barely left the house. Compared to my friends though, I'm freaking Magellan.
Yeah, that's my situation, too. I think I've visited more countries than states by a lot, but it's all relative to what you're comparing it to.

(and I love "I'm freaking Magellan" - the perfect way to put it. LOL!)
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:04 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
i took trains to new orleans, chattanoga, and long beach [2x sta in lax] & people were in a tizzy about so much travel...i was 18 for the last one....that was quite a while back.....
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
By "world's great cultures" I guess it's somewhat continental, but not exactly. For example:

Eastern Europe
North Europe
North American
Caribbean
China, Japan, Korea
Australia/New Zealand
Sub-Sahara African
You let out the entire Indian subcontinent
Old Mar 18, 2012, 8:30 pm
Suspended

World traveller and well travel mean different things to me.
World traveller is one who has travelled to lots of places. Well travelled is one who has done more than travelled to those places. For example, well travelled person would have learnt about culture, history, life style, language etc., beyond what one could read in a book.

I look at it the same way as the difference between someone who has read/skimmed through lots of books, but really hasn't learnt much from those readings.
If you have learnt from your travels, you are well travelled. Otherwise, you are a world traveller at best.
Old Mar 18, 2012, 10:21 pm

I am well travelled in that I have extensive travel experience from over the years, however with 99% of it being ground-based domestic travel and having only setting foot outside of my home country just once, I am no world traveller.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 3:36 am

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
Been to 25 countries but must be located in at least 5 continents.
Annually?
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by hyderago
You let out the entire Indian subcontinent
My gosh, you're right, I did! My apologies. I think that area has some of the most amazing history and culture of anywhere, too!
I was multitasking when I replied, and I guess I didn't think things through.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 8:31 am

Programs: BA blue, LH Senator, KQ (FB) gold
Originally Posted by vicarious_MR'er
I don't really think there is a country count, but if you've visited and experienced more than a handful of the world's great cultures, then I'd say you're well on your way.

Eastern Europe
North Europe
North American
Caribbean
China, Japan, Korea
Australia/New Zealand
Sub-Sahara African
I like this concept with hyderago's addition of the Indian subcontinent, but I would also add that consideration must be given to underdeveloped countries. Cattle Airlines' 25 countries on 5 continents can be done without ever going any place that really challenges you.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 9:26 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by You want to go where?
I like this concept with hyderago's addition of the Indian subcontinent, but I would also add that consideration must be given to underdeveloped countries. Cattle Airlines' 25 countries on 5 continents can be done without ever going any place that really challenges you.
+1...if you hit 2/3rds of vicarious_MR'er's regional list, then you are Magellan in almost any setting outside of an FT Do.

I'm only at about 30 countries right now...adding 4-5 more this year. Finally getting into some regions of India, Nepal, the Middle East, and Asia that I've previously never visited.

And there are still whole parts of North America that I've never visited...states/provinces where I know there are good trips to be had but I've simply never made the time to do them.
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:11 pm

Programs: BA GGL (LTG), Marriott LT Titanium, EK Plat, Amex Cent
"World Traveller" is a cabin on British Airways Long Haul flights that, thanks to Flyertalk, I will never have to sit in again for as long as I live
Old Mar 19, 2012, 1:54 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
My realistic goal is 50 countries, 50 states. I am over 80% there but many places need more recent visits.

There a big gap for me in places like Gabon, Congo, Nigeria, Togo, Benin, Sierra Leone but I don't plan on visiting. Too expensive, too little time. There is no flight from JFK-Singapore with a stop in Lome, Togo, which would be a perfect flight to take and stop for a few days.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.