Reload this Page >

The joy of flying. Post something wonderful

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The joy of flying. Post something wonderful

Search this Thread

Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:35 pm

I appreciated the convenience of air travel when I had to drive from FLL to EWR with 3 strangers in a rental car after my flight got canceled after a snowstorm. 24 hours on the road instead of 2 hours in the air. But it was interesting how we all got to know each other pretty well after the long road trip, whereas we wouldn't have talked on the flight. After refunding our flights, driving was cheaper for all of us since we split the cost and avoided the one way rental fee because one person was planning to drive it back to FLL.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 3:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
As your First Class cabin crew moves unobtrusively about the cabin delivering drinks and taking meal orders, from the galley come the faint clinks of glass and cutlery as the promise of the wonderful inflight service ahead begins to be realized.
Yes, and I also like a more pedestrian version of the above. You're on the Friday evening flight home from wherever you've spent the week going to boring meetings and living out of a suitcase in a mid-grade anonymous business hotel.

Your upgrade to F has cleared, and as you settle in you hear the not-so-subtle sound of that little plastic hammer breaking up the bag of ice. You sense the entire cabin relaxing thinking "cocktail hour, and I'm on my way HOME."
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:53 pm

Originally Posted by coachrowsey
As suggested by the op in the fear of flying thread I'm starting this thread. For me I don't care how many times I fly IF I can get a window seat I never get tired of looking out the window & doing a lot of "flight seeing.
Same here. For all the hassle getting through security and dealing with delays, looking out the aircraft window has very calming effect on me. I can't explain why, but observing the world down below from 30,000+ feet has a sedative sensation that makes me feel good.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 8:45 am

Programs: DL DM, Marriott Amb./LTP
Flying over the Rockies into DEN, over the harbor into BOS on a bright sunny morning, and over the patchwork countryside into BRU are three of my all-time favorite moments in the air.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:11 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
When you plan out a potential trip with someone you enjoy traveling with and they email you:

This is perfect. Book the plane, book the train.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 3:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by CMK10
When you plan out a potential trip with someone you enjoy traveling with and they email you:
Nothing more satisfying than when those travelling with you are excited about the details of a trip. To be honest, my wife isn't completely happy all the time. I sit down and explain to her the situation, prior to booking.

But yes, nothing gives me full joy but my wife happy about details of a trip.
Old Feb 26, 2014, 9:26 pm
Suspended

Programs: Many
being the only person on the upper deck of a Lufthansa 747-400 in first class...one of the 744's with the separate seat and bed for the 12+ hour flight from Tokyo to Frankfurt. That is probably the best rest I've ever had on a plane.
Old Mar 7, 2014, 1:07 am
Used to be 'Travelergcp'

Programs: AA Plat, Marriott Gold, Hyatt Globalist
Birthday cake and an card autographed by the crew of the SQ flight I was taking IAH-DME. On my birthday in F, of course.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 8:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Originally Posted by NWA/Deltaflygirl
--NYC on decent - it's truly a HUGE city....
I just have to agree on this one. I have done TATL many times but I to this day I NEVER get bored of seeing the Manhattan skyline from the air. Flying into EWR from MAN I always seemed to get a great view.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 9:08 am

Programs: BA, *A, Hertz Goldstar, Mucci wannabee, Waitrose, safari Oleg
This is my all-time favorite FT thread. Thanks to the OP for starting it, and to all of you who have contributed.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 12:36 pm

Programs: united, Hilton, Amtrak
A flight in FC when my father and I were traveling ORD-LAX-SYD on an award booking in bc. We were on the first leg from ORD-LAX in domestic first on UA when they came by with makings for the hot fudge sunday. That was awesome. I remember sitting there eating the Sundae and looking down at the clouds.

Another cool one was when my GF and I traveled from ORD-HKG-BKK. This was also a United award ticket. We were coming into land at HKG at dusk, and we were transfixed by the skyline of Hong Kong. We were jet lagged and kind of out of it as we switched to a Thai airlines flight for the last leg. The HKG airport was a surreal blur.

Twice my father and I were op[upped from economy coming back from Europe. Once from Milan, and once from Frankfurt. Grueling flights suddenly became enjoyable.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:22 pm

The first flight I ever made. From London to Damascus, coach on Syrian Arab Airlines - a name not normally associated with wonderful in-flight experiences. We stopped briefly somewhere, coming in to land at night and I was mesmerised by the city lights laid out beneath me. In the 30+ years since I've flown more times than I care to remember on all sorts of carriers and classes but the magic of that moment stays with me even on the most mundane flights.
And thanks to everyone who's participated in this thread, a wonderful set of experiences.
Old Mar 11, 2014, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Delta DM 1 MM; Hz PC
Last year had a window seat in EC on a Delta flight from MSP-AMS- It was quite a northern route over northern Canada, Greenland and Iceland. For almost 3 hours - absolutely spectacular view of the Northern Lights
Old Mar 12, 2014, 9:09 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
JetBlue coach transcon, BOS-SFO, earning AA miles, and spending them as a graced EXP as a disaffected UA 1K. That was the year that was. But now the stars are drifting apart. Alas, all things must pass. Thank you JetBlue and American.

^ ^ ^ ^ ^

ETA: OK, I jumped the gun, so rather mundane before reading the posts above. Instead, these:

Coming in for a landing at PDX, flying down (in) the Columbia River gorge.

And oh dark thirty opening to an absolutely stunning red buttermilk sky illuminated by the sunrise before takeoff at Key West, as the pilot recited a poetry passage about some goddess kissing the sky. Did I dream it?

Last edited by Firewind; Mar 12, 2014 at 9:24 am
Old Mar 12, 2014, 1:26 pm

One of the coolest things I've ever experienced was when I was in F from PHL to SEA. Sometime after dinner had been served I was sitting there with a jack and coke relaxing, I looked out the window to see one of the coolest things I've ever seen

There was a storm that had to be at least 100 miles away in the midwest somewhere, the sky glowed with lightning. We flew along pacing the storm for about a half hour, it was awesome seeing the lightning in the clouds and the bolts heading toward earth

Dave

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.