Wiki Posts
Search

Sitting in hotel lobbies

Search this Thread

Old Oct 25, 2019, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by altabello
I'm at a conference in Salt Lake City and brought my SO with me, so he could visit with friends and shop while I work. Not having much to do, he hung out in the lobby for a while (very expansive, with lots of different seating groups), before heading into the city. He got harassed by security, and was asked to leave. He complained at the front desk, but they just stared at him. No apologies. Were this a private trip, I would NOT stay another night at this hotel, but I'm here for the conference for another couple of nights. I feel that at least a sincere apology is due, but am not sure how to ask for it, or who to ask, as the front desk doesn't seem interested at all. It's an expensive hotel, and this experience ruined the mood for the day, if not the stay.
Name and shame.

At a minimum, I’d contact the duty manager, if not the GM.
Tanic, muji and altabello like this.
Old Oct 25, 2019, 9:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum; Amex Plat; Four Seasons; Fairmont; HH; etc.; "Retirees-In-Training"
I'm at a conference in Salt Lake City and brought my SO with me, so he could visit with friends and shop while I work. Not having much to do, he hung out in the lobby for a while (very expansive, with lots of different seating groups), before heading into the city. He got harassed by security, and was asked to leave. He complained at the front desk, but they just stared at him. No apologies. Were this a private trip, I would NOT stay another night at this hotel, but I'm here for the conference for another couple of nights. I feel that at least a sincere apology is due, but am not sure how to ask for it, or who to ask, as the front desk doesn't seem interested at all. It's an expensive hotel, and this experience ruined the mood for the day, if not the stay.
Is this in the hotel you are actually staying at, or another hotel?
If this is "your" hotel, there shouldn't be any reason not to be able to "use" the lobby. (Or, what is it for, strangers only?)

GC
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Is he staying at the hotel too?
Old Oct 26, 2019, 1:48 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Sounds like he was staying the nights too.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 3:26 am

Programs: BAEC Bronze
I had to do that just this summer.

Lisbon airport has limited landslide facilities, and what there are are crowded out, so, having stayed at one of the airport hotels on arrival, we knew that they had a pleasant lobby and bar/ restaurant, and waited there for a few hours in peace and quiet.

no one actually bothered my daughter and myself, and we had a couple of drinks, then went for a nice meal before heading over to check in/ bag drop in the terminal. They didn’t seem to mind as long as we weren’t being a nuisance and were actually buying food and drink... the fact that we had the Wi-fi passwords from the previous stay also helped 😄
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Sovigilant
If you are sitting in lobby we cannot leave front desk. So if someone just sits there when they have a room they can clearly sit in. It's a problem. Guests need to stop selfishly only thinking about themselves.
Ah - that's often the problem. With checkout at noon - the guest no longer has a room to sit in! Especially if the hotel refuses a late checkout. I have often sat in hotel lobbies when my room is gone but my flight doesn't leave until hours later. I'd much rather sit on comfortable furniture in a hotel lobby and read than on a dirty uncomfortable plastic chair at the airport.
cawhite likes this.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Originally Posted by GUWonder
Sounds like he was staying the nights too.
This remains the important and unanswered question. A non-guest sitting for an appreciable period of time and not purchasing food or drink is a bit different than someone staying at the property or who is otherwise a customer,
Old Oct 28, 2019, 6:44 am
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by Often1
This remains the important and unanswered question. A non-guest sitting for an appreciable period of time and not purchasing food or drink is a bit different than someone staying at the property or who is otherwise a customer,
It’s not unanswered. It’s already known, based on what was posted by the OP. They went to Salt Lake City to stay together.
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:04 am

Programs: DL
Originally Posted by Annalisa12
Yes, he was staying at the hotel with me. He sat there for about an hour, during the late morning, while housekeeping was presumably cleaning the rooms. I was going to contact the manager, after he had gotten such an unsympathetic response from the front desk after the incident, but didn't find time until the next day. He went back to the lobby the next morning, and told the front desk that he would be sitting in the lobby for an hour or so (great passive aggressive tactic, I thought), so of course they asked WHY he told them...this time, he received a sincere apology and no further hassles. We decided to let it go after that and enjoy the rest of our stay at the bit 'quirky luxury hotel.' I mean, have you ever housekeeping fold your dirty laundry, switch your clothes to the 'correct' hangers, tie your headphones wire into a knot, move your documents and name tag from the nightstand to the desk, etc., etc.?

Last edited by altabello; Oct 28, 2019 at 9:05 am Reason: missing word
Old Oct 28, 2019, 9:11 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Start by asking to speak with the assistant manager on duty.

Did your partner tell security that he was a hotel guest or mention the conference as being the reason for his presence?

You could also complain to the conference as they picked the hotel, signed the contract, and will be paying a lot of big bills.

BTW, does the conference have some form of "spouse" registration that provides a name tag and access to social events? If so, was your partner officially registered in this way?
muji likes this.
Old Oct 31, 2019, 4:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Yes, he was staying at the hotel with me. He sat there for about an hour, during the late morning, while housekeeping was presumably cleaning the rooms. I was going to contact the manager, after he had gotten such an unsympathetic response from the front desk after the incident, but didn't find time until the next day. He went back to the lobby the next morning, and told the front desk that he would be sitting in the lobby for an hour or so (great passive aggressive tactic, I thought), so of course they asked WHY he told them...this time, he received a sincere apology and no further hassles. We decided to let it go after that and enjoy the rest of our stay at the bit 'quirky luxury hotel.' I mean, have you ever housekeeping fold your dirty laundry, switch your clothes to the 'correct' hangers, tie your headphones wire into a knot, move your documents and name tag from the nightstand to the desk, etc., etc.?
I've always had housekeeping fold and/ or tidy dirty laundry.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: BA Silver
I don’t leave my dirty clothes lying around for housekeeping to have to deal with!
muji likes this.
Old Nov 2, 2019, 8:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: American Airlines
what hotel was this??

Did you post a review on yelp? TA?
Old Nov 5, 2019, 1:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by emma69
Not entirely - try being a lady in your 20s or 30s, dressed in reasonably smart or pretty dresses - the assumption being you are a working girl! Whilst I don't tend to hang around hotel lobbies much anymore, I used to wait in them for various friends in cities around the world in the past, and was asked to remove myself more than once!
Same. Even had them laugh and comment as I walked through the foyer to the lift with a guy in a suit.
Old Nov 8, 2019, 4:03 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador, Global Entry
Just remember, more often than not, there is another side to the story. How many people expect nice hotels to not have non-guests sitting in the lobby while many of these stories involve non-guests sitting in the lobbies. Businesses can never win. Someone is always mad because the world should revolve around them.
rbwpi likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.