Sitting in hotel lobbies

Search this Thread

Old Sep 2, 2017, 10:28 pm

delete - posted in wrong thread
Old Sep 3, 2017, 7:32 am
formerly known as Tad's Broiled Steaks
Shangri-La Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by obscure2k
I'll add to my original post. Ritz may have been the one to have originally thought about a small lobby in order to keep out those he considered undesirable, but many classic, luxury hotels which followed, adhered to the same paradigm. Lobbies are not a place to loiter. Examples are Gritti, in Venice which had almost non-existent lobby. Hassler in Rome, Meurice in Paris, Pierre, New York as well as The Carlyle. IIRC, are just a few which come to mind. They all have bars just off of their small lobbies where patrons may sit and converse and wait for their friends. I have seen some modern hotels in the past few years which also seem to have adopted the same paradigm.
The Fawlty Towers lobby was the same...
Old Sep 3, 2017, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by darthbimmer
Did anyone at the table demand an explanation for that remark?
We had sharp words with the manager on duty and left.
Old Sep 3, 2017, 5:04 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
Originally Posted by Sovigilant
I've worked in several hotels in the US and most of us just find it annoying when you sit in the lobby and bug us. We have work to do. And most of the time it's distracting. We do not get breaks only when there is no guest in the lobby. If you are sitting in lobby we cannot leave front desk. So if someone just sits there when they have a room they can clearly sit in. It's a problem. Guests need to stop selfishly only thinking about themselves.
That makes no sense. If you can only leave the desk once there's no one in the lobby, then how do you tell if there's anyone in the lobby after you've left?

Here, let's compromise. I'll leave the lobby, you go on break, then I'll go back to the lobby and you don't have to know that I'm there.
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: No programs & No Points!!!
Originally Posted by milepig
We had sharp words with the manager on duty and left.
You should of stayed stayed to annoy them.
Old Sep 4, 2017, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA
Originally Posted by diburning
That makes no sense. If you can only leave the desk once there's no one in the lobby, then how do you tell if there's anyone in the lobby after you've left?

Here, let's compromise. I'll leave the lobby, you go on break, then I'll go back to the lobby and you don't have to know that I'm there.
Ha ha ha!
Old Sep 5, 2017, 7:44 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by milepig
I have a female colleague who was sitting with two of us males at the Hilton Chicago on Michigan bar. She was asked to leave as "we don't want your kind here" She was dressed in a business suit.
What was "her kind"? Was she a Wookiee or something?
strickerj likes this.
Old Sep 5, 2017, 10:02 am

Originally Posted by diburning

You've created the new FT paradox, we'll call it Schrodinger's Guest.
Old Sep 13, 2017, 9:09 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
No, never had this problem even in Indian Hotels.

Maybe it's the way one dresses or maybe if the staff know you're a guest.

But if the security is chasing you away, then something is very wrong with that hotel and it should be reported on tripadvisor or another 3rd party website to warn travellers.

It certainly is not normal, especially if they are targeting Indian's.

Last edited by wolf72; Sep 14, 2017 at 2:16 am
Old Sep 14, 2017, 1:46 am

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
I am at this moment sitting in the lobby / courtyard of a hotel I've just checked out from in Bukhara, Uzbekistan until it is time to leave for the train station (in a few hours). The hotel staff have just offered free tea.
wolf72 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 8:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by wolf72
No, never had this problem even in Indian Hotels.

Maybe it's the way one dresses or maybe if the staff know you're a guest.

It certainly is not normal, especially if they are targeting Indian's.
you think there is not ethnic/class/etc discrimination in india/etc? and you specifically noted: "even in Indian Hotels" ?

dress is important, and i never understand discrimination against expensively dressed non-caucasians especially in expensive places (where they should recognize expensive dress especially if they sell it) but there are countless reports otherwise.

as noted in this thread, well dressed women sometimes assumed to be prostitutes. there was an amusing FT story about elderly american tourists not understanding that some women in hotel bar were in fact prostitutes and not white collar workers.

i knew a female american of east asian heritage who was given a thorough questioning upon return to US from a business trip in UK. she was not in a suit, and relatively young, but who knows maybe white guy would not have been questioned to same degree.
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:23 pm
Suspended

Programs: Enrich Sapphire. Kris Flyer Silver.Le Club Accorhotels,Starwood.
Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri
you think there is not ethnic/class/etc discrimination in india/etc? and you specifically noted: "even in Indian Hotels" ?

dress is important, and i never understand discrimination against expensively dressed non-caucasians especially in expensive places (where they should recognize expensive dress especially if they sell it) but there are countless reports otherwise.

as noted in this thread, well dressed women sometimes assumed to be prostitutes. there was an amusing FT story about elderly american tourists not understanding that some women in hotel bar were in fact prostitutes and not white collar workers.

i knew a female american of east asian heritage who was given a thorough questioning upon return to US from a business trip in UK. she was not in a suit, and relatively young, but who knows maybe white guy would not have

been questioned to same degree.
What's an "east asian?"
Old Sep 14, 2017, 9:23 pm

East Asians are Chinese, Japanese, or Korean.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 1:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by wolf72
[redacted by moderator]
Resident of Earth?
pinniped likes this.

Last edited by StartinSanDiego; Sep 16, 2017 at 3:45 pm Reason: Removed edited quote
Old Oct 25, 2019, 3:32 pm

Programs: DL
I'm at a conference in Salt Lake City and brought my SO with me, so he could visit with friends and shop while I work. Not having much to do, he hung out in the lobby for a while (very expansive, with lots of different seating groups), before heading into the city. He got harassed by security, and was asked to leave. He complained at the front desk, but they just stared at him. No apologies. Were this a private trip, I would NOT stay another night at this hotel, but I'm here for the conference for another couple of nights. I feel that at least a sincere apology is due, but am not sure how to ask for it, or who to ask, as the front desk doesn't seem interested at all. It's an expensive hotel, and this experience ruined the mood for the day, if not the stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.