Community
Wiki Posts
Search

I'm flying for the first time and I need advice

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:43 pm
Original Poster

I'm flying for the first time and I need advice

I am going to be flying for the first time next week and I have never flown before so I am really not sure what to do. Could anyone maybe explain the entire process to me? I want to go from Atlanta to New York. We have a pretty big airport in Atlanta, but what do I do when I get there? Like do I just tell the pilot where I'm going? How do I know when New York airport is coming? Do you have to request a stop or do they announce it? Also, how do bags work? Thank you for your help.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:49 pm

Programs: none
You will be on a specific flight that only goes to one stop at a time.

Don't be afraid to ask someone for help. The crew (flight attendant) for example. That's part of what they are there for. Thei certainly do make a lot of announcements telling you what's going on.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:00 pm

Have you, umm, actually bought your ticket? That's kinda important if you haven't.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by domba
I am going to be flying for the first time next week and I have never flown before so I am really not sure what to do. Could anyone maybe explain the entire process to me? I want to go from Atlanta to New York. We have a pretty big airport in Atlanta, but what do I do when I get there? Like do I just tell the pilot where I'm going? How do I know when New York airport is coming? Do you have to request a stop or do they announce it? Also, how do bags work? Thank you for your help.
You go to the airport and at the counter you ask to talk to the CEO of the airline you are flying. He has to confirm that you have a ticket and then he will give you the pilot's phone number. Then you will call the pilot to ask if he is going to make a stop at New York that day. If it is a night flight better text him, because he may still be sleeping. If he agrees to stop at New York, you have to take all your bags (you can usually carry up to 6 bags with you) and pass security. Wait at the station for the next plane and have a seat, wherever you want. When you want the pilot to stop press the appropriate button or just shout "I want to stop here". You will know when New York airport is coming, because you will see the statue of liberty outside the window [edit: it's the stop next to Philadelphia, so after the Philadelphia stop get ready to jump]. It's simple. If you have any more questions, let us know.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:12 pm

First, buy your ticket. You can get tickets directly from airlines or you can go through expedia or the likes to get the ticket. Flying is not like riding on a public bus. You have a specific route which is outlined in your itinerary and you can't just request stops. When buying your ticket, if you would like to stop between Atlanta and New York, you can opt for more than one stop versus a non-stop flight. But once you've bought the ticket, you can't ask for another stop other than what is on your itinerary.

So purchase your ticket...then come back and tell us what your route is, and the folks here can tell you where to go from there.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:18 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
You get a ticket
You go to the airport
You check in at the kiosk and drop off your bags at the counter (all will be clearly marked(.
If you have to pay for your bags you will pay at this time
You will get a boarding pass saying which gate you need to go to and what time the plane will board, and what seat you are in
You go through security and follow the signs to your gate.
When they announce boarding for your flight and your seating area (it will be on your boarding pass) you board and find your seat.
When the plane lands in New York you get off with everybody else, and follow the signs to baggage claim, and wait for your bags to show up
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:51 pm
Senior Moderator

Programs: UA Plat/2MM [23-yr. 1K, now emeritus] clawing way back to WN-A List; MR LT Titanium; HY Whateverist.
domba, welcome to FlyerTalk. You received good advice and I'll close this thread now. Ocn Vw 1K, Moderator.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.