Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best First Class/Luxury Travel

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 2:33 pm
Original Poster

Best First Class/Luxury Travel

I am planning a 10th anniversary trip to Riviera Maya, Mexico. I have seen that both Delta and United have Luxury packages to AI resorts. I want to spend around $3 - $5000 for the trip to include First Class Airfare and hotel. We would leave from either DCA/IAD or BWI as we live in DC. Any suggestions for great airline with good amenities both airport and in the air? Romantic All Inclusive Resort Choices. We are looking at 8 nights from 8/4/12 to 8/12/12. All suggestions appreciated.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 4:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

3-5K in super lux with first class air?? are you taking a partner or is that for you alone?

first class air to there are on domestic first, i think.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 7:18 pm

Airfare will set you back around 1000 p/p. For resorts - I'd look at some of the adult AIs near Puerto Morelos. Should set you back around 500/night - so near the top end of your budget.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
United

In united, you will be on an A320, which has a decent first class product. It's only a 3 hour flight, so you won't some sweet lie-flat seat with an AVOD and all the trimmings. Here is a video of what you'd get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxH3D4JK30

But you will get to fly in a very nice business class product. Personally, I like the bulkhead. It's nice because nobody is leaning into you, so it's easier for the window person to go to the restroom. However, the legroom is not as nice as rows 2 and 3, so it depends on which you like more.

I am seeing that the fares on UA are around $1200 each round trip, so you'll spend around 1/2 of your budget on airfare. Economy is showing $500 to $700. You could conceivably save almost $1500 if you fly in economy ($500/person versus $1250/person, so it's $1000 versus $2500). But of course, for your anniversary, you want to do it up. But keep in mind, domestic business class (even though this is an international flight, it's essentially a domestic product) is nothing like international business class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UILsZIU8uXo

Have a great trip!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:04 am

Originally Posted by SFflyer123
In united, you will be on an A320, which has a decent first class product. It's only a 3 hour flight, so you won't some sweet lie-flat seat with an AVOD and all the trimmings. Here is a video of what you'd get:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7DxH3D4JK30

But you will get to fly in a very nice business class product. Personally, I like the bulkhead. It's nice because nobody is leaning into you, so it's easier for the window person to go to the restroom. However, the legroom is not as nice as rows 2 and 3, so it depends on which you like more.

I am seeing that the fares on UA are around $1200 each round trip, so you'll spend around 1/2 of your budget on airfare. Economy is showing $500 to $700. You could conceivably save almost $1500 if you fly in economy ($500/person versus $1250/person, so it's $1000 versus $2500). But of course, for your anniversary, you want to do it up. But keep in mind, domestic business class (even though this is an international flight, it's essentially a domestic product) is nothing like international business class:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UILsZIU8uXo

Have a great trip!
All of what SFflyer123 said about United's service holds true for Delta's service. You won't be in any special seats or anything. Can't say what prices look like right now.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 4:41 am

Programs: DL, QF, QR Gold, MR Lifetime Gold
I agree - domestic F is... domestic F. No carrier can be declared a clear winner here. IMO it's nothing to brag about; int'l J is a different matter, but you won't get that from the US to CUN. IMO, for a ~3 hour flight, it's hardly worth it. I'd rather fly Y and use that money for a nicer hotel or various things there (nice dinners, massages, whatever).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

also, don't expect any champagne. best shot at an inexpensive fare is a package with an air upgrade.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:30 am

[QUOTE=florin;17882921 int'l J is a different matter, but you won't get that from the US to CUN.[/QUOTE]

Some EWR to CUN on CO are operated on an internationally configured 757 - so it does happen. Perhaps other carriers offer this as well?
Old Jan 25, 2012, 1:39 pm

Programs: AA, UA, GE
Originally Posted by rfreddy321
I am planning a 10th anniversary trip to Riviera Maya, Mexico. I have seen that both Delta and United have Luxury packages to AI resorts. I want to spend around $3 - $5000 for the trip to include First Class Airfare and hotel. We would leave from either DCA/IAD or BWI as we live in DC. Any suggestions for great airline with good amenities both airport and in the air? Romantic All Inclusive Resort Choices. We are looking at 8 nights from 8/4/12 to 8/12/12. All suggestions appreciated.
If you want nonstop first class airfare and a really nice all inclusive, you are looking more like $5500 to $7500.

You can cut the cost down by booking coach. And for a 3+ hour flight, I would happily fly UA in E+.

As far as a place, my wife and I have stayed twice at the Iberostar Gran Hotel Paraiso. Adults only and really good food and great service. Rated the #4 all inclusive in Mexico (and #13 in the world) by Tripadvisor.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:26 pm

You could consider flying coach and returning in business. Cancun check-in is a mess and very time consuming.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.