Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Annoyance on Flight 16 SFO-JFK by P.A. updates of football scores.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Annoyance on Flight 16 SFO-JFK by P.A. updates of football scores.

Search this Thread

Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:53 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Gold 1MM, AS MVP, UA Silver, WN A-List, Marriott LT Titanium, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by andyh64000
Given the enormity of the game and the fact that a team from the origin and a team from the destination were involved, the updates described in the OP fall well within the bounds of common sense.
6 to 8 announcements? That's about twice a quarter for a game between two defensive teams that weren't exactly headed for a 45-42 score.

I can just imagine some of the announcements... "Hey everyone, it's still 7-7, just like it was a few minutes ago. There have been two punts since the last time I updated you all... Two really nice, interesting spirally punts..."

Originally Posted by lovexylitol
I do not understand the cravings of Americans for football.
Not much different from Europeans' cravings for rugby or soccer or Indians' cravings for cricket. I've heard those types of inflight PA announcements too. In almost any part of the world, there's probably some pilot somewhere who will give passengers a sports score on occasion.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:01 am

Programs: US-CP, UA, Marriott Rewards, HHonors, Avis,
Originally Posted by pinniped
Not much different from Europeans' cravings for rugby or soccer or Indians' cravings for cricket. I've heard those types of inflight PA announcements too. In almost any part of the world, there's probably some pilot somewhere who will give passengers a sports score on occasion.
Let's hope the OP never flies on NZ while the All Blacks are playing in the playoffs. Kiwis love their rugby, and NZ loves the All Blacks.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 11:50 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Formerly HPN, but then DCA and IAD for a while, and now back to HPN!
Programs: Honestly, I've been out of the travel game so long that I'm not even sure. Maybe Marriott Gold?
Originally Posted by PTravel
Maybe so, but I'm willing to bet the were an awful lot folks on that flight who were not interested in the score and, even among those who were, would have preferred no announcements be made.

My wife was interested in who won the Golden Globes. How would you have felt if there was an announcement every so often about who had won what?
OK with me, especially on a flight from LAX to JFK.

I'm willing to bet that the airline was simply trying to cater to the real or perceived majority. No harm, no foul. And nothing that some earplugs wouldn't have alleviated.

As I've said before, I don't leave my personal happiness in the hands of the airline.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dchristiva
OK with me, especially on a flight from LAX to JFK.

I'm willing to bet that the airline was simply trying to cater to the real or perceived majority. No harm, no foul. And nothing that some earplugs wouldn't have alleviated.

As I've said before, I don't leave my personal happiness in the hands of the airline.
I always fly with my Bose and listen to music. However, even with them on and music playing, I can still hear that an announcement is being made, though I can't make out the contents. For me, this is even worse, because it causes me to remove the headphones to see if the announcement relates to something important.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 5:30 pm

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by t325
Could be worse, I was flying STL-DAL (with a DAL based WN crew) during Game 6 of the World Series and shortly before landing they announced "Congratulations to the World Champion Texas Rangers", they must've heard the Rangers were a strike away from winning and figured it would be over in a minute. Half the plane erupted in cheers, the other half erupted in boos. But there was an audible gasp on both sides when the plane landed and everyone checked the game on their phones.

If the pilots/FA are going to give sports updates, at least get it right!
"Wanna get away?"
Old Jan 25, 2012, 6:22 pm
jyh

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier

And then someone (co-pilot, captain, purser?) decided that they would assist the passengers who were too cheap to pay for wi-fi by updating us on the football game...Then during the SFO-NY game there were at least another 6-8 announcements. All together, it was impossible for me to sleep for more than a half hour or so at a time as these announcements were constantly waking me up.

Needless to say, this isn't major but what is the purpose of offering wi-fi AND saying 'we will let you sleep' if you are going to become a glorified PA announcer for a football game? If I cared about the game I would have stayed home to watch it or followed it on gogo wireless. Really was annoyed by this and thought if was unnecessary and rude.

Thoughts?
Consider yourself lucky. You can hear. I can't hear any announcements. It all just sounds garbled to me.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 7:25 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
If airlines want pax to listen to announcements from the flight deck, especially safety-related announcements, then perhaps announcements not related to the flight should be kept to a minimum. The occasional "Look to the left... it's really pretty." is one thing; 10+ "announcements" about totally irrelevant topics will teach pax to ignore announcements from the flight deck.

Originally Posted by cordelli
Sorry, you booked a on the division playoff's for the two teams who would be going to the superbowl. Flying during any major sporting event you should expect quite a few updates.
Seriously? It's the responsibility of non-fanatics to know the schedules for all sports that they do not follow?

How about "Sorry, you booked a on the division playoff's [sic] for the two teams who would be going to the superbowl." .... "If you cared about real-time updates for that event, perhaps you should have booked a flight at another time."

Or how about using channel 9 to have the pilot or copilot relay the play-by-play info (I have no idea is this is permitted, it's just an idea).

Originally Posted by cordelli
I'm sure half the plane was asking for updates, so they just decided to give them. I'm also fairly certain the other half of the plane was begging for them to pipe the audio feed live into the plane, so you were lucky they didn't do that.
Half? Really?

Even if true, UA p.s. has WiFi (AFAIK). If you care enough to know the outcome of a game played between employees of two corporations, then maybe you should buy that service (or have the sense to book a different flight).
Old Jan 25, 2012, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
Originally Posted by ralfp
Seriously? It's the responsibility of non-fanatics to know the schedules for all sports that they do not follow?
Sorry, I must have missed where the OP said they had no clue they were flying from one division play off city to another division play off city on the day of the game. Though it really doesn't matter if they knew or not, they should still expect updates during major events like playoff's, superbowl, world series, world cup, etc.

Half? Really?

Even if true, UA p.s. has WiFi (AFAIK). If you care enough to know the outcome of a game played between employees of two corporations, then maybe you should buy that service (or have the sense to book a different flight).
That's good to know about United's PS flights.

Not really sure why that applies here, since it was not a United Flight, but I suppose that's good information for people flying United who want to get online when they do fly.

I missed the poll results where the number of people who wanted to hear the score was posted. I'm assuming on a flight from one playoff teams city to another's during the game it's going to be half the plane.

One could only imagine what the OP would have posted if they were on a flight with live TV and half (yes, I'm saying half) the plane was watching the game in real time screaming every play.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:29 pm

I'm sure you read the minds and took a survey from everyone in the plane for you all to be complaining about this. You guys so uptight about hearing announcements now?

In one ear, out the other. Life still goes on, wouldn't you believe it?

Originally Posted by OAK AAFlier
exactly.

im not writing to the airline seeking miles
im not saying i wont fly AA again
im not saying the pilot/co-pilot/announcer is a bad person

all im saying is that it was annoying

so, i took this annoyance and posted on a message board complaining while also wondering where the line is drawn.
there are about 1000 things in life that are a minor annoyance. Lets all go post on forums about every single one of them.

Half? Really?
I imagine that estimation is better than "most of the plane obviously didn't want to hear it", as if he knew for sure
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:43 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by pinniped
6 to 8 announcements? That's about twice a quarter for a game between two defensive teams that weren't exactly headed for a 45-42 score.

I can just imagine some of the announcements... "Hey everyone, it's still 7-7, just like it was a few minutes ago. There have been two punts since the last time I updated you all... Two really nice, interesting spirally punts..."
If there were 6-8 announcements, none of them would have been about punts.
Old Jan 25, 2012, 9:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Dupe - doh!
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:02 pm

Originally Posted by jaesun
I imagine that estimation is better than "most of the plane obviously didn't want to hear it", as if he knew for sure
Since you weren't on the plane and the OP was, his is the opinion that holds more weight here.

If airlines want pax to listen to announcements from the flight deck, especially safety-related announcements, then perhaps announcements not related to the flight should be kept to a minimum. The occasional "Look to the left... it's really pretty." is one thing; 10+ "announcements" about totally irrelevant topics will teach pax to ignore announcements from the flight deck.
Very good point.

I wonder how the football fanatics trying to justify the excessive announcements would feel about just as many updates given during the finale of "The Bachelor". After all, it's a popular show...

Last edited by hedur; Jan 25, 2012 at 10:13 pm
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:13 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: ua prem exec, Former hilton diamond
There were seven scoring changes in the Giants game, nine in the early game
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by hedur
Since you weren't on the plane and the OP was, his is the opinion that holds more weight here.
obviously, generalizing the population on the plane holds weight. I mean, he did take a survey of everyone on the plane on whether or not they all agreed with him or not. He also must have been in the front of the plane, sitting backwards, because, being near the back of the plane or facing forward trying to rest, how would he see the other passengers' reactions? And, we all react to minor annoyances the same as everyone else. Makes gauging their reactions more reliable. And for those that visibly reacted negatively, he did a followup survey to make sure it was displeasure from the PA announcement, rather than a possible displease from the score.

and lastly, the FA's must have been blind and deaf. Cuz only he saw the displeasure on the plane. Damn those blind FA's
^
Old Jan 25, 2012, 10:33 pm

Originally Posted by jaesun
obviously, generalizing the population on the plane holds weight.
Since he was there and you were not his opinion on the desire of the passengers holds more weight than yours. How is that difficult to understand?

He also must have been in the front of the plane, sitting backwards, because, being near the back of the plane or facing forward trying to rest, how would he see the other passengers' reactions?
We, as humans, have these things called "necks" and they actually allow you to turn and see what's behind you. Fascinating, no?

And, we all react to minor annoyances the same as everyone else. Makes gauging their reactions more reliable. And for those that visibly reacted negatively, he did a followup survey to make sure it was displeasure from the PA announcement, rather than a possible displease from the score.

and lastly, the FA's must have been blind and deaf. Cuz only he saw the displeasure on the plane. Damn those blind FA's
^
And you obviously personally spoke to the FA's to know that none of them saw any displeasure on the plane, right?

Gimme a break.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.