Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Newbie Question! Domestic Flight Following an International Flight.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:07 pm
Original Poster

I'm sorry if this seems like a really silly question, but I'm a newbie to flying outside of package holidays, plus I'll be travelling alone so a girl has to be prepared I think!

I'll be flying LHR-LAX, then starting a tour with Trek America. This finishes 3 weeks later in NYC, and I will be catching a Continental flight from EWR-BOS to hang out with friends for a few days before heading home BOS-LHR.

My question is about the EWR-BOS flight. Upon arrival, when going through immigration/customs, I'm assuming I should join the internationals queue, even though I'm flying domestic. Is that right? Also, will I be grilled at immigration about the odd travel arrangements? Or will I be OK as long as I have my BOS-LHR ticket to show I'm returning home a few days later? Flying was so much quicker and cheaper than Greyhound/Amtrak which surprised me.

As an aside- as I will be travelling across the pond, and staying stateside for a month, I'm bringing a decent-sized suitase. This is well within the stipulated measurements for BA/AA who I'm flying out/back with, but is on the limit for Continental's checked bag measurements. I know I will already have to pay CO $25 to check a bag, but I'm worried as it's just on the limit that the check-in agent might measure it and charge me the ovsersized $100 fee for the sake of a centimetre or two. Is this likely? I've considered buying a new bag as that would be cheaper than paying the excess, but it's a lovely new suitcase so I'd hate to do that

Sorry again if this all sounds a bit silly!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 12:40 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
ewr-bos is domestic....no imm/customs because you are here....just the security lines....
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:05 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
There is no exit immigration check in the US. Your only contact with US immigration authorities should be at LAX when you arrive. Do you leave the US between then and your EWR-BOS flight?
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:21 pm
Original Poster

Clacko- by security lines, do you mean where they check your hang luggage etc at your departing airport?

Etch5895- no, I won't leave the US at all during my tour. Too much to see!

Thanks both for the info- I didn't realise I wouldn't have to go through immigrations!
Old Jan 22, 2012, 1:37 pm

Programs: AA, DL Gold, UA Gold, HHonors Gold
Thankfully flying internationally from the US is fairly simple...you merely check your luggage at the check-in desk where they check your passport and give you your boarding pass. Usually there is nothing separating you from domestic passengers until you actually board your flight, depending upon the airport. It is recommended that you get to the airport a little earlier. The security checks referred to are the TSA checks that all passengers go through-similar to the metal detector checks at all airports. Some airports are more efficient at these than others. As for your checked bag, it sounds like that will be something you will find out when you arrive to check it in. I'd imagine it will likely depend on which agent you get.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.