Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

How high can you turn your headphones up?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

How high can you turn your headphones up?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:55 am

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CyBeR
. And to make matters worse, the only things they have enough energy to reproduce over a larger distance than that between the driver and your ear canal, are the really high-pitch tones. So rather than music, all you hear is *tss* *tss* *tss* *squeeeak* *tss* *tss* *tss* etc.
Are you saying you can hear "tss tss tss" sounds in an AIRPLANE? over the engine droning sounds?? wow..
I know exactly what you are talking about.. but I've heard that only in quiet places like a waiting room, library, maybe even on quiet streets.. but never in an airplane..
That's very sensitive hearing.. impressive actually

Originally Posted by hedur
I personally wouldn't get on a plane without my Shure earbuds. I bought my original pair back in 2001 and Shure has replaced them with upgraded models when they went bad two times, at no charge to me. Great company, great headphones. Just a tip...

Exactly. I use my Shure. I don't hear a thing but the movie/music, and no one hears any leaks from it. Great earbuds..
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:08 am
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
is everything the airline provides the responsibility of the airline? are you absolved of all responsibility regardless of use or miss use?
The following edits, indicated by [***] are by the moderator to comply with the FlyerTalk rule that we discuss the topic, not the members:
[***] I know they could not have been loud because neither the FA, despite her initial claim, nor the person seated next to em, nor I could hear any sound from the head phones when they were off my head. It would be impossible to. [***]
You nor, anyone else has any way of knowing how loud the head phones were. did you know how loud the sound was?

The issue was how some people will complain about almost anything even when there is nothing to complain about.
Quality of sound is not the only issue with headphones/microphones.

If the only way something provided by the airline can be used is at the expense of someone else, then of course, the airlines is responsible. Logic and clear thinking is your friend. If your reclining gets int he way of someone behind you, you can't really blame the recliner for reclining their seat. [***]. If the headphones are poorly regulated or the they don't respond linearly to volume control, it's entirely the airline's fault, even if one assumed the headphones were loud, which they weren't.

Last edited by Yaatri; Jan 24, 2012 at 7:53 pm Reason: To comply with FT Rules in avoiding personal attacks.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 9:44 am

Programs: WN A-List, AA good-riddance, Safeway Club Card Extraordinaire
Originally Posted by Yaatri
You nor, anyone else has any way of knowing how loud the head phones were. did you know how loud the sound was?
If someone else could hear them and be bothered by them, they were too loud by definition. If it was impossible for you to use the headphones without bothering somebody else, it was your responsibility to NOT use the headphones.

Headphones don't disturb people. People disturb people. (to borrow from an unrelated and far more contentious mantra )

[Deleted by moderator to conform to edit of previous post.]

Last edited by Ocn Vw 1K; Jan 24, 2012 at 12:11 pm Reason: Please see note above.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 10:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by vmsea
On a FLIGHT, I don't see how bad headphones (those leaking sound) can possibly affect another passenger. The sound of the engine is gotta be louder than any 'leaked sound' can be no?
It's not a question of good or bad, but of open or closed design:

Open or closed back
Circumaural and supra-aural headphones can both also be further differentiated by the type of earcups:

Open-back headphones have the back of the earcups open. This leaks more sound out of the headphone and also lets more ambient sounds into the headphone, but gives a more natural or speaker-like sound and more spacious "soundscape" - the perception of distance from the source.

Closed-back styles have the back of the earcups closed. Depending on the model they may block 8-32db of ambient noise, but have a smaller soundscape, giving the wearer a perception that the sound is coming from within their head.[6]
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headpho...or_closed_back

Open back headphones, whose use on airplanes dates back to the old Sony Walkman days, can, absolutely, be heard by other passengers when they are turned up high. Indeed, it can be quite annoying because all that will be heard is the higher-frequencies, making a sound not unlike crickets.

I use Shure headphones so no issues but I've never heard another person's headphone on a plane.
in a library - yes.. on a plane? that's hard..
No, it's easy, and I've heard it often. I'd also note that I'm in my late 50s, my hearing has started to fall off, and I STILL can hear open-back headphones on planes if they're loud enough (most often used with cheap MP3 players, DVD players and distributed by, at least, UA and CO for in-flight use.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 12:02 pm

Are you saying you can hear "tss tss tss" sounds in an AIRPLANE? over the engine droning sounds?? wow..
I know exactly what you are talking about.. but I've heard that only in quiet places like a waiting room, library, maybe even on quiet streets.. but never in an airplane..
That's very sensitive hearing.. impressive actually
To be honest, I don't know because I've never had this problem myself.

I was speaking generically, not specifically about this issue on airframes.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 1:50 pm

Programs: PC Plat RA, SPG Gold, AS MVPG
Originally Posted by CyBeR
To be honest, I don't know because I've never had this problem myself.

I was speaking generically, not specifically about this issue on airframes.
hahah ok cool. I've never had this either.
I don't mean to question anyone.. learned something about the open/closed design.
I'm just amazed someone can hear noise beyond the engine noise. The engine droning drives me nuts if i don't have my Shures on.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 3:46 pm

Programs: UA, AA, HH, Priority Club
If I can hear another person's headphones across the aisle and one row back they are too loud!
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:06 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Science Goy
If someone else could hear them and be bothered by them, they were too loud by definition. If it was impossible for you to use the headphones without bothering somebody else, it was your responsibility to NOT use the headphones.

Headphones don't disturb people. People disturb people. (to borrow from an unrelated and far more contentious mantra )

[Deleted by moderator to conform to edit of previous post.]
What basis is there that someone could hear. That's what has been repeatedly mentioned here.
Anyone one can complain. Their complain was invalidated when no one could hear anything. Neither FA, nor the neighbour nearest to the headphones could hear anything when the headphones were taken off. It would help to read what's been posted repeatedly instead of going on one's whims.
Wrong assumptions wrong conclusions. No disagreement that people disturb people. Words don't convince people, reading them does. Please do try and read. I's youir responsibility to read befpore responding.
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
I find some of the earphones are designed having sound distributed at an angle in the earbud.. rotating the earbuds sometimes help correct volume..
Old Jan 24, 2012, 8:34 pm

Location: various cities in the USofA: NYC, BWI, IAH, ORD, CVG, NYC
Programs: Former UA 1K, National Exec. Elite
On a FLIGHT, I don't see how bad headphones (those leaking sound) can possibly affect another passenger. The sound of the engine is gotta be louder than any 'leaked sound' can be no?
I hear music from other passengers headphones all the time. That's because I have abnormally good hearing (as in "normal", relatively undamaged). People using earbuds will almost always use far higher volume levels on aircraft than they would on the ground. They do this to overcome the engine sounds you mention, thereby negating much of the engine noise's masking effect.

Also, engine noise is not purely "white". Sounds from headphones can be at frequencies not well masked by engine noise.

Originally Posted by Bebedeer
If I can hear another person's headphones across the aisle and one row back they are too loud!
^

If someone several seats away from you can hear your headphones, you should be worried about your own hearing. Either it's damaged already, or you are in the process of damaging it.

Be selfish... worry about your own hearing. I can hear my iPad just fine on its lowest volume setting using my Ety hf2 headphones, even on an aircraft (though I sometimes bump it up a bit). Get a set of good in-the-canal earphones. You'll protect your own hearing (they let you use much lower volume levels) and avoid the original problem.

IMHO, any discussion about bothering others is for philosophical purposes only. My hearing is too valuable. Isn't your's worth far more than the $100-300 you'd spend on a good pair of in-the-canal earphones?

N.B. I am not an expert on [psycho]acoustics or hearing, but I am relatively well versed in those subjects.

Last edited by ralfp; Jan 24, 2012 at 8:43 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.