Who are the "flyers"?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Who are the "flyers"?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 19, 2012, 11:42 pm
Suspended

Project managers and internal auditors for international companies fly almost constantly.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 12:32 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Truck drivers, machine operators & basically anyone that works in the mining industry - down here.

We're in the middle of the biggest mining boom the world has seen for a long time......and the hundreds of thousands that are employed are mainly FIFO workers.

FIFO = Fly in, Fly out.

Have countless friends & family that do a roster of 7-10 days on & 7-10 days off...live East coast of Australia & fly to the mines on the West coast or the other way round.

The top status for QF is platinum (OWE) which is 1200 SC/TP per year....due to the very many miners that exceed this level QF have recently added another status level, Platinum 1 - you need to earn 3600 SC per year of which 2700 have to be accrued on QF metal not OW partners.

My brother & his mates clock this up in around 5-6 months

They also earn around A$150k for driving a bloody huge truck for 6 months of the year
Old Jan 20, 2012, 1:35 am
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat, AA 1MM LT Gold, *wood Plat
Originally Posted by amaroo
My brother & his mates clock this up in around 5-6 months

They also earn around A$150k for driving a bloody huge truck for 6 months of the year
I need to give up my car learn how to drive a truck!.. Would spend 6 months working the remaining 6 months burning off the miles.
Old Jan 20, 2012, 2:18 am

Programs: QF P1 (OWE) LTG (OWS)
Originally Posted by Cst2Cst
I need to give up my car learn how to drive a truck!.. Would spend 6 months working the remaining 6 months burning off the miles.
It's unbelievable - we have huge numbers of very young (19-25) single males (many girls too) that work in the mines, they work their week or more and then fly to Bali, Phuket, Vietnam etc for their days off.....every, week or two!

Flush with money and a good few other things as well
Old Jan 20, 2012, 7:49 am

Originally Posted by brendog
I run a team that does exactly this (Not for Microsoft, fortunately...). Customers who spend millions of dollars have this odd expectation that things will be fixed immediately when they crash and burn, thus my folks are all on stand-by to travel at a moment's notice. I spend the majority of my time bouncing between 3 corporate offices (SJC, PHX, and DEN) and meeting with strategic customers and vendors.
I used to have just such a job. I once packed for Christmas in Florida and wound up in Iceland. Worst part of flying at the last moment is that you often get middle seats, back of the bus.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.