FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1302157-smoking-hotel-room-balcony-no-no.html)

Kagehitokiri Jan 14, 2012 7:59 pm

Originally Posted by hedur (Post 17815438)
So...anyone who prefers to not breathe second (or third) hand cigarette smoke, AND prefers to not have their expensive hotel room and/or clothes reek of smoke is a "smoking zealot" or "smoking Nazi"? :rolleyes:

Despite the coments to the contrary, the smokers have made it clear that they are the out of touch extremists in this thread.

Exactly. I smoked for 10 years, part of which was when I was a teen still living at my parents house. I remember coming inside after smoking with the sliding glass door closed and my mother getting angry because she insisted I had been smoking inside. I rolled my eyes at her because I couldn't imagine (being the bratty teenager I was) that my smoking outside could smell that bad once I came inside. In other words, it takes an ignorant teen to not know reality. Any adult that claims that their smoking on a balcony doesn't completely taint the room they've entered is a complete ignoramouus or just totally disingenuous.

What smokers don't seem to realize is.....no one cares if you smoke. It's your right to get yellow teeth, have your clothes and hair reek, and die of lung cancer. Your next door hotel neighbors simply don't care. The only time we care is when your habit forces us to inhale your smoke simlpy because our sliding glass door is open on our balcony.

A good hypocrisy test would be this: if the hotel decided to dump an extremely large steaming pile of feces within smelling distance of your room, would you have a problem with it?

Yeah, that's what I thought. ;)

:rolleyes:

there are bans of smoking in public places.

why would a separately ventilated room with "airlock style" doors ever be a problem?

hedur Jan 14, 2012 8:11 pm

Originally Posted by Kagehitokiri (Post 17815462)

there are bans of smoking in public places.

why would a separately ventilated room with "airlock style" doors ever be a problem?

Either you've responded to the wrong post (mine) or have misunderstood the subject of the thread. We are discussing smoking on hotel balconies where it is very easy for the smoke to waft into the room of a neighbor who has their balcony door open. Or are you of the opinion that anyone who doesn't want to smell cigarette smoke, even at a non-smoking hotel, should be required to have their door shut at all times?

Kagehitokiri Jan 14, 2012 9:04 pm

when is this moving to OMNI?

hotels can explicitly ban smoking on balconies and in public areas
no explicit ban by hotel or municipality = allowed

dcpatti Jan 14, 2012 9:16 pm

Originally Posted by hedur (Post 17815438)
What smokers don't seem to realize is.....no one cares if you smoke. It's your right to get yellow teeth, have your clothes and hair reek, and die of lung cancer. Your next door hotel neighbors simply don't care. The only time we care is when your habit forces us to inhale your smoke simlpy because our sliding glass door is open on our balcony.

A good hypocrisy test would be this: if the hotel decided to dump an extremely large steaming pile of feces within smelling distance of your room, would you have a problem with it?

Yeah, that's what I thought. ;)

Actually, unless you're at a horserace track, a reasonable person would not expect to encounter a large steaming pile of feces outside (or inside for that matter), whereas a reasonable person can and should expect to encounter cigarette smoke in many outdoor public spaces. So your analogy us quite off-the-mark.

If you've got a hotel room overlooking a public beach and smokers are in proximity, how do you react? Or a room with a balcony over a popular main street? I know of several such places, one of which is a boutique hotel that runs about $400/night during peak season and provides ashtrays on the balcony... They also offer balcony breakfast service. High end, personalized service, and an encouragement of use of balconies with smoking being acceptable. The rooms themselves and all common areas of the hotel are non-smoking.

hedur Jan 14, 2012 9:53 pm

Originally Posted by dcpatti (Post 17815787)
Actually, unless you're at a horserace track, a reasonable person would not expect to encounter a large steaming pile of feces outside (or inside for that matter), whereas a reasonable person can and should expect to encounter cigarette smoke in many outdoor public spaces. So your analogy us quite off-the-mark.

A reasonable person would never expect to encounter cigarette smoke from the balcony next door (or directly below) at a non-smoking hotel. And because the smell from a pile of poop is about as good (and as unwelcome) as cigarette smell, the analogy isn't off-the-mark at all. Except for the difference that (depending on the proximity) cigarette smoke can be harmful and feces odor isn't harmful in the least.

Ancien Maestro Jan 14, 2012 9:56 pm

Originally Posted by Wally Bird (Post 17812520)
A few years back I would have agreed with you, but the crusade has spread to a number of otherwise civilized countries.

Times are changing.. I used to think its acceptable smoking on the balcony.. I no longer believe its acceptable at a non smoking hotel.

Kevin AA Jan 15, 2012 12:52 am

I don't smoke cigarettes, but I think the anti-smoking crusade is getting out of hand here... what's wrong with smoking and non-smoking rooms? Everyone was happy until someone thought it was a great idea to eliminate smoking rooms which has resulted in people getting even madder about smoking. :rolleyes:

PVDtoDEL Jan 15, 2012 1:47 am

Originally Posted by Kevin AA (Post 17816374)
I don't smoke cigarettes, but I think the anti-smoking crusade is getting out of hand here... what's wrong with smoking and non-smoking rooms? Everyone was happy until someone thought it was a great idea to eliminate smoking rooms which has resulted in people getting even madder about smoking. :rolleyes:

What's wrong with smoking in non-smoking rooms? Perhaps the part that you aren't supposed to smoke in a non-smoking room?

Kevin AA Jan 15, 2012 2:05 am

Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL (Post 17816454)
What's wrong with smoking in non-smoking rooms? Perhaps the part that you aren't supposed to smoke in a non-smoking room?

separate smoking and non-smoking rooms

TWA884 Jan 15, 2012 6:15 am

Originally Posted by Yaatri (Post 17815142)
Exactly which clause of which contract between which two parties are you talking about?

The next time that you check into a hotel, read the fine print on registration form before you sign it. It is a binding contract. The right of hoteliers to impose cleaning fees on those who smoke in violation of no smoking rules is perfectly legal.

I am aware of no consumer protection laws that give one the right to smoke in a non-smoking property.

dcpatti Jan 15, 2012 6:16 am

Originally Posted by hedur (Post 17815910)
A reasonable person would never expect to encounter cigarette smoke from the balcony next door (or directly below) at a non-smoking hotel. And because the smell from a pile of poop is about as good (and as unwelcome) as cigarette smell, the analogy isn't off-the-mark at all. Except for the difference that (depending on the proximity) cigarette smoke can be harmful and feces odor isn't harmful in the least.

A Reasonable expectation would be that the environment can't be controlled. While I would not expect my neighbors to come onto my balcony to have a conversation, I absolutely would expect their conversation to drift into my room. That's because it's outside and while I'm still not sure if a balcony follows inside-the-hotel rules, I do know that you can'd quite control the wind.

It's funny because when I started this thread, my intent was to maybe pick up a few tips on being less intrusive to others while still being able to indulge my habit, or an actual, definitive answer (fact, not emotion) that the rules of the room convey to the balcony. But the response from some has been so caustic and so overly dramatic that a productive discussion becomes wishful thinking.

Not to say that there aren't some useful and helpful posts in this thread--- there certainly are, and I appreciate those. I think, from now on, I'll just ask each hotel and do what they say.

dcpatti Jan 15, 2012 6:24 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 17817028)
The next time that you check into a hotel, read the fine print on registration form before you sign it. It is a binding contract. The right of hoteliers to impose cleaning fees on those who smoke in violation of no smoking rules is perfectly legal.

I am aware of no consumer protection laws that give one the right to smoke in a non-smoking property.

In most cases the hotel states there is a penalty for smoking IN THE ROOM but I don't think anyone has determined if the room equals the balcony or if the balcony does not follow those rules, given that it is outside.

While there is no penalty for doing so, I'd expect a guest to shake beach sand our of their towel and shoes on the balcony but not expect them to do so their room, so there are different standards inside and outside.

Unless the hotel is on a non-smoking campus I interpret the phrase "non-smoking hotel" to mean "no smoking inside the hotel." In fact, many "non-smoking hotels" provide ashtrays, benches etc on their property for smokers, and often times it's right in front of the hotel. If they wanted a non-smoking property they'd not set benches and ashtrays on the property.

sonofzeus Jan 15, 2012 6:43 am

Originally Posted by brendog (Post 17809728)
I have, in the past, and will continue exercise my right to smoke on the balcony of my hotel room, unless it is expressly prohibited by the hotel. If anyone else takes issue with that, they can add it to the long list of things that people do that inevitably annoy someone somewhere (My pet peeve is cologne. Can we ban that in public places?).

+1

THX for articulating the non-PC POV.

Where's my spit cup? :D

Plato90s Jan 15, 2012 8:29 am

This idea that all the rules which apply inside the room apply to the balcony makes little sense.

For example, I can walk around naked in the room even in a hotel which isn't nudist. Other guests would probably object to a naked person on the balcony. Doubly so if the guest in question is performing an activity on the balcony that would be acceptable inside the room but which other guests likely don't wish to witness.

Different rules apply on the balcony, just as yet different rules apply for people on the ground floor whose "balcony" has direct pool access. There's less privacy when outside the 4 walls, and also fewer rules. Unless the hotel prohibits smoking on its property in its entirety, I don't see how anyone can reasonably claim that the balcony can't be used by smokers.

Yaatri Jan 15, 2012 8:33 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 17817028)

No, thank you. I said I a lawyer can probably find............
Have I said anywhere that one should smoke on anywhere at will in a nonsmoking property?
I have stated that even smoking outside can get into HVAC system and that smoke is annoying.
So, it's not necessary for you to be combative.

Can you cite any incidents where someone has been fined or prosecuted for smoking on a balcony?

Smokers that I know are very very mindful of their indulgence and how it might offend others. But I have seen stupid smokers with a cigarette in hand at a gas station. Some are jerks, just like some non-smokers are jerks. Let's not use smoking as the one factor that determines "jerkiness".

I don't have to smoke. I can go for weeks without smoking. Even when outdoors, if I want to smoke, I ask people I am with if they would mind if I lit up. Some say they don't and some say they would rather have me not light up, in which case I comply. But I WILL not bullied by some stranger telling me to stop in a smoking section of a facility or in open public area, which has happened a couple of times. Smoking around people who don;t is bad, but telling people to no smoke in a smoking section is, well, nazi-like. Hence the term.

Non smokers should not be forced to inhale smoke. It's unreasonable to expect zero exposure to smoke, automobile exhaust, peanut dust or any such matter unreasonable.

I am sure hotels expect people to not smoke in their non-smoking rooms o no-smoking public areas, but they would probably rather get revenue from a smoker than have their rooms go vacant, as long as a smoker does not go around flouting rules and indulge in their habit in a non-intrusive way.

Peanut, smoking, babies on a plane, and reclining seat have so much in common.

Attempt to create peanut free environment due to extreme fear/dislike of peanuts.
Attempt to create smoke free environment due to extreme fear/dislike of hint of smoke
Attempt to create recline free environment for them due to extreme fear/dislike of the person in the seat in front of you reclining.
Attempt to create baby free environment due to extreme dislike of babies on the plane.

I don't know about the last three, but the first one has been labeled as Mass Psychological Illness, or mass hysteria.