FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   TravelBuzz (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz-176/)
-   -   Is Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony A No-No? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/travelbuzz/1302157-smoking-hotel-room-balcony-no-no.html)

Ancien Maestro Jan 13, 2012 10:30 pm

Smoking is a beef we have on our vacations in Hawaii, whether there is smoking on the lanai, there is a smoking floor, or smoking around the ocean front walk areas..

we prefer that no one smokes onsite at the hotels we stay in..

Travlynn Jan 13, 2012 11:17 pm

Smoking on a Hotel Room Balcony is a No-No - in a smoke-free hotel. That's why the hotel can advertise itself as smoke-free.

If you smoke, don't book yourself into a smoke-free hotel (and expect that your smoking on a balcony, or anywhere else except the small, designated smoking areas that are well outside the front door will go unnoticed.)

mecabq Jan 14, 2012 12:56 am

Only in America could one take offense at someone smoking outside on the balcony. And I think that the majority of hotels with balconies would allow this.

Assuming that one disposes of the garbage properly (leaving it outside until it's extinguished, then either flushing it or removing it from the room oneself), I don't see how anyone can complain about being offended by smoke that dissipates into the air -- except, of course, the usual anti-smoking zealots and other self-righteous moralizers. It's ridiculous to compare smoking outside to smoking in the closet or bathroom, which obviously impact the room for future users whereas smoking outside does not.

A related question is whether one can smoke at an outdoor swimming pool or bar in the pool area? I can't recall a place (besides some in America of course) that forbids this.

LHR/MEL/Europe FF Jan 14, 2012 2:39 am

Originally Posted by mecabq (Post 17811296)

I can't recall a place (besides some in America of course) that forbids this.

give us another 10 minutes and we'll have the same in Australia... :rolleyes:

hfly Jan 14, 2012 2:45 am

Chicago was the ONE place I was talking about, remember where I said "Other than perhaps one municipality".

TWA, that is nice, however that is why so may go on about cleaning fees or whatever, because they know that due to local and state laws that what they are doing is NOT legal.

Again, generally speaking, outside is outside, and it seems to me that many of you are overly zealous on this subject.

dcpatti Jan 14, 2012 5:27 am

A related question is whether one can smoke at an outdoor swimming pool or bar in the pool area? I can't recall a place (besides some in America of course) that forbids this.

This is actually a great yardstick.
Many of these hotels do have ashtrays at the outdoor pool.
I will probably be more likely to clarify policy with each hotel, going forward, or check for ashtrays in the pool area.

FWIW we are well aware that ashes and butts left in a hotel room trashcan will stink the place up. We leave whatever receptacle on the balcony till it's time to go, and deposit it in an outdoor trashcan.

Sheikh Yerbooty Jan 14, 2012 8:38 am

I take great delight in remembering that what used to almost monthly trips to the US, is only once or twice a year, and when I go the company will rent me a serviced apartment, even if it's just for a couple of nights. Because I smoke, and the company I work for realise the US, in particular US hotels, is largely run by idiots these days.

I smoke, it's my choice and as of yet it's still a legal thing to do. When I travel, the hotel or apartment is my home for the duration, and I insist on doing more or less the same there as I would in my own house.

The anti-smoking nazi's can wear a mask, or suck oxygen off a bottle if that makes them feel better; as long as it's not illegal I shall continue to smoke outside (and a balcony is outside) whenever, and whereever, I please to do so.

Wally Bird Jan 14, 2012 9:00 am

Only in America could one take offense at someone smoking outside on the balcony.

A few years back I would have agreed with you, but the crusade has spread to a number of otherwise civilized countries.

Must...Fly! Jan 14, 2012 9:30 am

Originally Posted by Sheikh Yerbooty (Post 17812424)
Because I smoke, and the company I work for realise the US, in particular US hotels, is largely run by idiots these days.

It's not run by idiots, it's run by people who understand that the majority of guests wish not to smell like cigarette smoke during and after their stay.

Personally, I also like to get a good nights sleep in a $200/night property, which I do not get on a smoking floor, or on a non-smoking floor when some ignorant individual has lit up.

Nb: The smell irritates me, blocks me up and makes it quite difficult to sleep. Which kind of defeats the purpose of staying at a 4* or 5* property.

JohnnyColombia Jan 14, 2012 9:35 am

My last stay in the US was at the much "loved" Sheraton Princess Kaiulani Waikiki and their in room bumph expressly prohibited smoking on the balcony and added that if there was evidence of smoking in the room INCLUDING the balcony then a US$200 cleaning fee would be levied.

Oddly the balcony's seating area had been painted with some sort of rubberised* grey** paint and had numerous little black circles where people had let their butt ends burn out on the floor.

For clarification

* Rubberized
** Gray

Yaatri Jan 14, 2012 10:15 am

Originally Posted by TWA884 (Post 17810311)
When you rent a hotel room, you enter into a binding legal contract and agree to abide by its terms which are enforceable in court. You may try to dispute the credit card charges, but ultimately the issuer will deny your challenge.

Clause of a contract is enforceable if it does not violate any laws. If I signed a contract to be your slave, that contract is not enforceable. This is clearly, an extreme but a smart lawyer could find a clause in the non-smoking rules that violate some other law. It's very doubtful that "Smoke free property" can be used to stop someone from smoking anywhere on the property, say on the periphery, or next to a dumpster or a trash can.

I smoke sometimes, but I hate the smell of cigarette smoke. I have never smoked inside my house and rarely in my car.

Even smoking outside can infringe on non-smokers. A/C systems do draw air from outside. Smoke might be taken in to the air supply without the smoker knowing that their smoke has made its way into a room. HVAC systems have filters for that reason.

I have been a smoker, but I have a pretty good nose. Even minute residue of ashes brought into the room makes it smelly. If you take the ashtray straight from the balcony to the bathroom to flush the ashes and butts down the toilet, the room will smell. The ashtray will continue to emit the smell. If you wash the ashtray with soap, smell of stale smoke will stay on your hands for hours.

Is it a danger to a not-smoker's health? Certainly not. Annoying, it certainly is.

Hvr Jan 14, 2012 10:18 am

Originally Posted by brendog (Post 17809728)
I have, in the past, and will continue exercise my right to smoke on the balcony of my hotel room, unless it is expressly prohibited by the hotel. If anyone else takes issue with that, they can add it to the long list of things that people do that inevitably annoy someone somewhere (My pet peeve is cologne. Can we ban that in public places?).

Get over it, I'll die off soon, anyhow. :rolleyes:

You mean it isn't on the sign that prohibits public urination from the balcony?

Smoking is a disgusting filthy habit that has major adverse effects on other people. I realise that smoker's rights triumph over everybody else but some of us are actually adversely affected by your disgusting habit (properly known as an addiction).

I also find it amazing that you believe it is ok to befoul a non-smoking room. This seems incredibly selfish to me, that you cannot handle the foulness of other people's smoking yet insist that other people suffer from your pollution.

dd992emo Jan 14, 2012 10:38 am

IBTL...

Mary2e Jan 14, 2012 10:44 am

I know of one other hotel, besides Disney hotels, that are no smoking poolside. They do have designated smoking areas.

In the event I don't see a sign, or an ashtray, or somewhere that I can actually have a cigarette, I generally go to a location without anyone else nearby - and by that I mean more than 50 feet.

As well, if there's no one nearby at the pool, I'll have a cigarette there and dispose of it in an empty glass with liquid in it that I'll then throw away.

FWIW - the anti-smoking zealots have come out in force on this one. Just as I knew they would. Some people actually take care not to bother others - but there does need to be a bit of give and take - particularly outdoors. Please give smokers some consideration too - we appear to be giving non-smokers quite a bit - again - particularly outdoors.

brendog Jan 14, 2012 10:57 am

Originally Posted by Hvr (Post 17812858)
You mean it isn't on the sign that prohibits public urination from the balcony?

Smoking is a disgusting filthy habit that has major adverse effects on other people. I realise that smoker's rights triumph over everybody else but some of us are actually adversely affected by your disgusting habit (properly known as an addiction).

I also find it amazing that you believe it is ok to befoul a non-smoking room. This seems incredibly selfish to me, that you cannot handle the foulness of other people's smoking yet insist that other people suffer from your pollution.

It's self-righteous folks like you that make it worthwhile goading non-smokers into incoherent, vitriolic outbursts. Thanks for the smile. :D

PS: If I ever see you, I'll make sure to blow smoke in your general direction.