Community
Wiki Posts
Search

July travel-where not to go?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:59 am
Original Poster

July travel-where not to go?

Because of work and school my vacation time is limited to late July/early August. My husband and I will be taking a 2 week vacation then. It seems like this isn't ideal for almost everywhere I want to go. I've been to SE Asia in August and it was fine, but I know this doesn't always apply.
The heat doesn't bother me, but I know some areas shut down or become inaccessible during the summer or monsoon seasons. So, I have narrowed down our selections to 6 places. Which of these would you absolutely eliminate for a July trip?
India
Burma
Vietnam
Malaysia
Colombia
Hungary and Romania

Thanks!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:27 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Tamsin - what else is there to say?
I went to India in late August last year, which was just at end of the monsoons, and it wasn't ideal. All the tiger reserves were shut, road conditions were bad and it was pretty hot and humid.

India is fab, but it's not the best time to go - however, it could depend on the areas you want to go to - follow the Raj and head to the Himalayas and you might be able to work with the weather.

Hungary and Romania - I don't think weather would be an issue then. While the Meditteranean gets very croweded in July, that's because in Europe, the weather is right for vacationing.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I was in MDE in June and July and thought it quite nice. I'm not sure it would be worth two weeks, perhaps if you split it between two cities, say Cartagena, it would work out good.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:36 am
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
July & August in Colombia are neither dry nor rainy, the weather will be dictated largely by your altitude.

Nov-Dec are the months to avoid coming if you don't fancy the rain and the floods.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:35 pm
Suspended

Remember, that is winter in the southern hemisphere!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
Originally Posted by pinworm
Perhaps technically it is. Much of Central and Northern South America have pretty stable weather. Sometimes a rainy and not so rainy season.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:12 pm
Original Poster

The only country on my list in the southern hemisphere is part of Colombia. I'm not really looking for cold weather just good or acceptable weather.

It does seem like it may be best to wait on India (although it is my first choice) and that Colombia and Eastern Europe would be fine. Any thoughts on Burma, Vietnam or Malaysia?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 4:08 pm
Ambassador: LATAM

Programs: BAEC Silver
Originally Posted by cakegirl
The only country on my list in the southern hemisphere is part of Colombia.
Right, and the bit of Colombia that is Leticia/Amazonas is so close to the equator too that it doesn't really matter which hemisphere it is in.

Jungle weather year round
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:28 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Given the time, resources and opportunity, I would never let a silly thing like July deter me from going anywhere.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 9:49 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by obscure2k
Given the time, resources and opportunity, I would never let a silly thing like July deter me from going anywhere.
Thanks that was helpful!
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:32 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
My family commented that Mexico is super hot and almost unbearable in the summer when we were there..
Old Jan 9, 2012, 10:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: former Olympic Airways Gold (yeah - still proud of that!)
India (as a no go). Too hot and wet.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 11:32 pm

Programs: UA 1K
Have fun!

Originally Posted by cakegirl
Because of work and school my vacation time is limited to late July/early August. My husband and I will be taking a 2 week vacation then. It seems like this isn't ideal for almost everywhere I want to go. I've been to SE Asia in August and it was fine, but I know this doesn't always apply.
The heat doesn't bother me, but I know some areas shut down or become inaccessible during the summer or monsoon seasons. So, I have narrowed down our selections to 6 places. Which of these would you absolutely eliminate for a July trip?
India
Burma
Vietnam
Malaysia
Colombia
Hungary and Romania

Thanks!
Where ever you go, have a great time! That's great that you can do this. I envy you (most of my travel is work).
Old Jan 10, 2012, 6:04 am
Original Poster

I am envious of people who get to travel for work. As a chef, I am tied to the exact same spot all year.
Well, it looks like Burma is our current first choice. I called Orient Express yesterday with a question about their hotel in Yangon and they were telling me how popular it is starting to get. I think it is a place we want to get to sooner rather than later.
It will be hot, but I don't think we will be as affected as we would in India. I had an outdoor wedding in Northern Thailand in August, so I think we will be fine!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.