Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

This holiday US based airfares SKYHIGH!!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 2:55 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Avis Preferred Plus

I usually like to make spontaneous trips from Atlanta at short notice(10 days to 3 weeks in advance). In prior years, Airtran helped out with reasonable fares from ATL to places like Philly or Houston or Dallas. This year, with Southwest, in control, Airtran is no longer aggressively pricing the holiday market to major cities not in FL. And Delta, which used to match Airtran;s fares to some extent is surely not going to stick it's neck out to reduce prices as there is nothing in it for them.

The result: A lot of 400-600 dollar round trip fares for this christmas to Jan 3 period with even the offdays in between carrying a major premium.

I knew there was going to be a higher slate of fares this year, but the increases seem dramatically higher. So I canceled any plans to travel anywhere. Either I will drive to a nearby place with friends/family or just forgo it.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 4:26 pm
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
go south if you drive....fares were cheaper a while back....lots of capacity cuts....
Old Dec 26, 2011, 6:43 am

Tell me about it! Wife's Dad died the other day and we had to get from PA down to FL on very short notice. Leaving today, in fact. Fares were about double what they were a month ago (but, in fairness, did not check fares for Holiday period). I attributed it to very short notice and also Christmas/New Year's week. Looked at United and it was 2,000.00 per r/t! Yikes! Pieced together something on Orbitz, but still much higher than normal.
Daughter returning to New Orleans today (Christmas vac at home) and paid about double what we're paying late Feb to go see her...sort of confirms the Holiday spike here, anyway.
Old Dec 26, 2011, 11:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
I am trying to get the ticket to FLL but, it's too extremely expensive. Why FLL is an trashed fare? I can't stand it! I am trying to visit see my friend in FLL for the day. I won't go to FLL anymore. I realized what exactly that I knows about the cruise passengers who flying out from FLL for everyday.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.