Wiki Posts
Search

FREE Skype WiFi in select airports across the U.S. From 12/21-27

Search this Thread

Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:01 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA Plat 1MM, SPG Gold, Hilton Gold, Ambassador Platinum
FREE Skype WiFi in select airports across the U.S. From 12/21-27

On a relevant tangent, thought this might be useful for some traveling this holiday season. It may require you to download Skype:

Great news Skype friends! Skype is setting out to make travel a little more pleasant this holiday season by offering a free hour of Internet access to third-party wireless hotspots within the Skype WiFi hotspot footprint in select airports across the U.S. From December 21st thru December 27th, travelers passing through or delayed in over 50 airports across the country will be able to access third-party hotspots using Skype WiFi and connect with loved ones via a Skype video or voice call for free.*

http://blogs.skype.com/en/2011/12/skypeholidaywifi.html
Old Dec 19, 2011, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Bandwidth

One word: Bandwidth

Have you "exercised" this in the last year? In any airport, from any provider? Since last Christmas, it's been bad and getting worse as many more people have joined the streaming legion. Great in theory, but falling further and further behind the curve in performance - e.g., speed and quality. Word of mouth marketers need to feed back to their patrons (the ones who don't get out much themselves) this.

Wonderful when the internet is free in airports, but it's gotten away.

[Wonder where this thread will land.]
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Too many to list
Nothing to do with Miles or Points so off to TB! you go.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 3:46 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Originally Posted by Firewind
One word: Bandwidth

Have you "exercised" this in the last year? In any airport, from any provider? Since last Christmas, it's been bad and getting worse as many more people have joined the streaming legion. Great in theory, but falling further and further behind the curve in performance - e.g., speed and quality.
Public bandwidth has been on the decline for years in public areas or any shared Wifi space.

I have had a T-Mobile BlackBerry for years simply because it has "HotSpot" seamless WiFi calling handoff that passes my mobile number off to any open hotspot, and then all my calls are free over WiFi calling. Worked GREAT about 7 years ago when I first got it and just a few were streaming or VOIP at Wifi public locations. Year by year, it got worse and worse.
Today? Forget it. I turn it off. If I allow the phone to jump to WiFi and make my calls, it's horrible. Just not enough shared bandwidth.
Same goes for Skype that I play with on my Virgin Mobile Droid.

Both of these work GREAT at home, or at the office where I've got 6 megs down and 2 megs up with no competition, but actual use in the field? Nasty.

Look at your typical Starbucks. 7 or 8 years ago, maybe 1 or 2 using Wifi at any given time. Today? 10 to 15 at times. Divide a 2 or 3 meg download by that and you have streaming issues.
Of course, up until 1 or 2 years ago, you had to pay to use most hotspots, like Starbucks. Free comes with a price! Like huge shared bandwidth, and thus, poor performance on any application that requires large bandwidth.

I still use my BBerry in my office or at home to make free calls over WiFi, but have totally given up when out in the general public.

Last edited by RobbieRunner; Dec 20, 2011 at 3:53 pm
Old Dec 21, 2011, 1:35 am

Programs: UA 2MM, AA 600k, DL 500k, Hyatt GP 1M, HH Gold, Rad. Gold, CP Gold, Miracle Fruit-su Club
Cool Have at it

A modern day indispensable traveler's aid. Have at it...

http://speedtest.net/

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.