Community
Wiki Posts
Search

A twist on the intentionally missing a flight question

Search this Thread

Old Dec 16, 2011, 11:28 pm
Original Poster

A twist on the intentionally missing a flight question

I'm new here but have read enough threads on FT to understand that missing one segment of a flight will usually cancel the rest of the trip. What happens in the case where the skipped segment is on another airline booked in the same reservation?

I have an upcoming trip on American and LAN going from MIA-GYE-GPS-GYE-MIA. The GYE-GPS-GYE flights are on LAN (NOT AA codeshare), while the MIA-GYE flights are on American. My problem is that I need to take a later flight from GPS-GYE, which I have already booked on another airline (LAN has one flight/day, so I couldn't rebook with them). My new flight still gets me in in plenty of time to catch my GYE-MIA connection on AA. Cancelling my GPS-GYE flight would result in a $150 change fee - $125 return credit=$25 cost to me.

My question is this: rather than paying the $25/pp to tell AA I'm not taking that flight, can I just skip the LAN segment? Or will that cancel my onward GYE-MIA flight on American?

Other info: this reservation is booked on aa.com and AA calls LAN "country connection" which seems odd to me. I'm not even sure they realize this is a partner airline since their search/booking tool has the option to include non-partner flight segments. When I inquired about cancelling that leg they had to check with the Tariff dept who had to call LAN.
Old Dec 17, 2011, 2:58 am

Programs: DL PM, UA PS, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Welcome to FT, mitpianoman!

Unfortunately, skipping any leg of an itinerary will cancel all remaining segments if they are on the same record locator (even if they are on separate airlines). I would not take any risks with this by skipping GPS-GYE on your reservation.

As for the "country connection," I'm not quite sure, but it may have to do with the fact that you'll be flying LAN Ecuador, which is still LAN, but operates under a different name.

Was this booked as an award ticket?
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:15 am
Original Poster

Thank you, amolkold. For the price, I probably won't chance it. No, this wasn't booked as an award ticket.

As an aside, wouldn't starbucks gold be *$$G
Old Dec 17, 2011, 8:54 am
In Memoriam

Programs: aa plt 4.9MM LTAC
yep, the rest of the flights are gone when you skip one...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.