Search

Most miles flown at once?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2011, 9:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K
In high school of all times:
GRB-ORD-LAX-SYD-BNE the return was BNE-SYD-SFO-LAX-ORD-GRB

Day after we got back had to go to school for the full day. I distinctly recall sleeping through nearly every class that day, and the teachers that got upset got an earful. Those that I was awake for was done on a caffeine high. Got some strange looks going into the teacher's lounge for coffee refills....
Old Jan 4, 2012, 12:55 am

The total miles are around 18k, so significantly shorter than some trips posted here, but I did ROR-YAP-GUM-NRT-DTW-EWR all in one calendar day, though the actual time elapsed was something like 30 hours.
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:14 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by Cloudship
Toying about with the idea of another mega-mile/mattress run this month. Mostly spending days flying back and forth across the country.

Got me thinking - what is the most miles you have ever done in one trip - i.e. between leaving and returning home. Not necessarily the longest flight you have taken, and you can spend time in various cities you have landed at, but have not yet been home.

Personally, my maximum is 2 round trips back and forth between RDU and the west coast, plus RDU to Boston and back.
Most likely it would be:

SDF-DTW-EWR-DXB-KUL-MEL / MEL-KUL-DXB-EWR-SDF

Clocks in at 29890 butt in seat miles. Was a First Class award on Malaysia Airlines before they eliminated their EWR service (as well eliminating FC on the 777).

Stayed in Melbourne during this particular trip and scheduled a stopover in KUL on the return.

The majority of the trip was on a 777-200 on the EWR-DXB-KUL-MEL and MEL-KUL-DXB-EWR segments. DXB-EWR clocked in at 15 1/2 hours because of strong headwinds - we took a route due north out of DXB over Scandinavia and crossed the Atlantic north of Iceland.

My usual routing to Melbourne clocks in at 20395 mi round-trip and is SDF-ATL-LAX-MEL / MEL-LAX-DTW-SDF. Routing may vary slightly to/from LAX but the long sector is LAX-MEL. Have also done MEL-AKL-LAX when QF25/QF26 were a 744 direct service.

I might try SDF-DFW-BNE-MEL / MEL-SYD-DFW-SDF on my next trip - that would clock in at 19642 butt in seat miles and would make the trip easier via DFW and not dealing with LAX.

Also did: SDF-MEM-LAX-ICN-KUL-MEL / MEL-KUL-NRT-DTW-SDF on an award in J -- clocked in at 28689 butt in seat miles.

The absolute longest was a mileage run that clocked in at 30747 but in seat miles over 3 weeks between QF/AA - AA segments were YUPS:

MEL-SYD-HNL-LAX-DFW-BWI-DFW-LAS
LAS-STL-ORD-DFW-IAH
IAH-DFW-ORD-LAX-LAS
LAS-DFW-SDF
SDF-BWI (re-position on WN)
BWI-DFW-LAX-HNL-SYD-MEL

I could probably pile more miles on some of the MEL trips with several domestic flights I made between MEL-PER / PER-MEL on QF & DJ.

Used Great Circle Mapper to calculate distances.

SDF
Old Jan 4, 2012, 7:48 am

Programs: QF Plat - OW EMD | DL Gold / Starwood Gold
One more interesting trip; this was in mid-90's when they still had international transit at HNL and allowed pax to disembark into sterile areas without entering the USA.

This trip netted 27265 mi butt in seat on DL, QF, Various QF-express carriers QF coded, and one segment on Ansett.

SDF-ATL-LAX-NAN-SYD-BNE-ROK-GKL
GKL-ROK-MKY-TSV-CNS
TSV-SYD-PER
PER-SYD-CBR-SYD
SYD-CNS-HNL-LAX-ATL-SDF

SDF-ATL was a 727-200
ATL-LAX was an L1011
LAX-NAN on a 747-300 Combi (spent 3 days in Fiji)
NAN-SYD on 747-300 Combi (loved SYD)
SYD-BNE on A300
BNE-ROK on BaE-145 (miss those - high wing, 4 engines like RJ-85)
ROK-GKL and GKL-ROK on small, unpressurized twin prop (loved GKL)
ROK-MKY-TSV-CNS a "milkrun" on a Dash-8 (loved CNS too)
TSV-SYD-PER were both 737-400's (PER is great)
PER-SYD was a B744 that had come-in from JNB and Harre (sp?)
SYD-CBR a 737-400 (CBR was interesting)
CBR-SYD on Ansett - 737 classic
SYD-CNS-HNL-LAX - Boeing 743 Combi

We were allowed to deplane in both CNS and HNL into sterile, international transit areas. There was a sterile in-transit area at HNL back then. Cleared US Immigration at LAX.

LAX-ATL - L1011
ATL-SDF - EMB-120

Was an interesting trip.

SDF
Old Jan 6, 2012, 12:26 pm

Programs: Any and all of 'em
Longest so far...

cos-slc-jfk-lim-cuz-lim-scl-ipc-scl-jfk-atl-cos

19,995 miles; 12 days
Old Jan 6, 2012, 4:30 pm

Location: USA - HNL, SEA, DEN, ORD, MCO, and all points inbetween
Programs: Way too many!
Longest Single trip was HNL to LHR.

Longest multi trip? Probably MCO to ORD to DEN to SEA to HNL to LAX to DFW to LHR. Over a two week period I think. Maybe 10 days. Can't remember.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 8:57 pm

Programs: DL PM, OZ DM+, CX DM, LH SEN
Longest trip was around the world in Y a couple of years back, done over 4 days between June 18-22:

PVG-FRA - LH
FRA-MEX - LH
MEX-GDL - AM
GDL-LAX - MX
LAX-HKG - CX
HKG-PVG - KA

I think that clocks in at about 21,000 miles.
Old Jan 8, 2012, 9:14 pm

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
In this thread sharing UA 2012 milestones, ua1flyer, aka Tom Stuker, UA's 10-Million-Mile Flyer, posted that he'd reached 1K as of January 7, at least 50,000 miles flown. ^

There must be a fair number of "at once" miles in all of those.

Last edited by Fredd; Jan 9, 2012 at 6:45 am
Old Jan 9, 2012, 1:48 am

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by Fredd
In this thread sharing UA 2012 milestones, ua1flyer, aka Tom Stuker, UA's 10-Million-Mile Flyer, posted that he'd flown 100,000 miles as of January 7. ^

There must be a fair number of "at once" miles in all of those.
Unless Im reading it wrong those miles are EQMs, not BIS?
Old Jan 9, 2012, 6:43 am

Programs: UA "Lifetime" Gold, AS MVPG100K, OW Emerald, HH Lifetime Diamond, IC Plat, Marriott Gold, Hertz Gold
Originally Posted by Circumknowitall
Unless Im reading it wrong those miles are EQMs, not BIS?
Thanks! I'll edit my post to reflect that. Still a heck of a lot of flying.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 7:24 am
Suspended

this question comes up every so often in various incarnations. For me, the following trip(s), without going home, was
GPT-MEM-DCA-MSP-PDX-HNL-SEA-MSP-AMS-ARN-AMS-SEA-HNL-LAX-MEM-DCA-MSP-PDX-HNL-SEA-AMS-OSL-AMS-SEA-HNL-LAX-MEM-DCA-MEM-GPT.

About 54000 miles.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:03 pm

Programs: Lifetime UA GS 22 million,AA 1m ,Hilton Li fetime diamond,marriott lifetime platinum hyatt diamond
Just to avoid the confusion. As of this Thursday morning, it will be 11 continuos days of flying,no hotels,breaks etc. Every night on a plane with about 40 straight meals all in the air.Final tally will be over 100,000 BIS and over 150,000 EQM.Always wanted to do it...so I am/did.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 2:36 pm

Programs: LH, BA, Hilton
Originally Posted by ua1flyer
Just to avoid the confusion. As of this Thursday morning, it will be 11 continuos days of flying,no hotels,breaks etc. Every night on a plane with about 40 straight meals all in the air.Final tally will be over 100,000 BIS and over 150,000 EQM.Always wanted to do it...so I am/did.
Wow. Thats dedication. Hats off to you ^
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:16 pm

Originally Posted by ua1flyer
^ Thanks for the update! That's incredible.
Old Jan 9, 2012, 5:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Independent
11 days of sleeping on a plane? 11 days of airline food?

I cant even begin to imagine how you could do that! What has been your routing - going in a straight line around the world, or a lot of back and forth?

How do you pack for something like that?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.