Need help dealing with dry hotel room

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 20, 2011, 6:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: US Gold, DL Gold, Hilton Diamond, Starwood Lifetime Gold, Marriott Silver, Hyatt Platinum

Hi folks, I travel to Chicago every year the Saturday after T-giving for 6 days of my industry's biggest tradeshow. I always get congestion and a bloody nose associated with the heat/dryness of the hotel room. I've tried saline drops but they're not really any help. I've heard of filling up the tub with water and hanging wet towels out in the room. Do any of these work? I've considered a travel humidifier but not sure I can accommodate that in my luggage.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

tub water evaporates very slowly, and is usually around the corner. soak the entire tub area, and the shower curtain, and anything else in the bathroom that you can. leave the door open.

soak as many towels and bath mats as you can. they will weigh a few bounds each. hang them in your bed room over anything. if you get up in the middle of the night, resoak them. half a dozen towels will dump about 15 lbs of water, which is 15 pints. lots of water. cover the room heat source with wet towels
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:04 am

Last edited by angatol; Mar 1, 2015 at 12:26 am
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:38 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold but PlatPro thanks to LPs
Here's an idea. You say you go to the same tradeshow every year, and stay in the same hotel.

Why not talk to the hotel manager and ask if you could purchase a humidifier and store it at the hotel? When you arrive, it moves out of storage into your room. When you leave, back in storage. That would be better, from the hotel manager's point of view, than soaking towels, etc.

The hotel might have humidifiers of their own that they could let you use. Another idea would be to find some friend or co-worker who lives in Chicago and would allow you to store a room humidifier at their house or office.

Might work, might not.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:48 am
Moderator: British Airways Executive Club

Programs: Battleaxe Alliance
Originally Posted by stealthnc
I've heard of filling up the tub with water and hanging wet towels out in the room.
It works better if you fill the tub with the hottest water you can get and let it really steam up, and leave the bathroom door open.

Be careful not to set off the smoke alarm with the steam though - usually, hotel rooms prone to this problem will have a sign on the bathroom door asking you to close it when bathing/showering. In which case, you might have to sit in the bathroom with the door closed

Actually, some hotels have a humidifier. It may be worth asking if they have one.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 7:54 am

Programs: A3*G, LH FTL, VS Red, Avis Preferred, Hertz President's Circle, (RIP Diamond Club)
Originally Posted by angatol
I thought this thread was going to be about hotel rooms without a mini-bar
+1
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:04 am

Get a $10 vaporizer from the drugstore.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 8:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you should be able to ship your personal humidifier to the hotel or your booth. i have shipped stuff to customers at very modest hotels and it got there. if this is a big trade show, ups shippments are difficult. ups wants to charge a fee and so does the show.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:28 am

Programs: Delta, USAir, Marriott, SPG, AmEx
just run the shower for about 30 min on hot to steam up the room
Old Nov 20, 2011, 9:38 am
Moderator: Luxury Hotels and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by a7800
Get a $10 vaporizer from the drugstore.
I don't know when you last bought a vaporizer, but I haven't seen one for $10 ever.

Many good hotels will loan you a vaporizer for the duration of your stay, however, so start by asking the hotel if that is the case.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:09 am

the hotels that I've stayed at in Calgary provide a humidifier upon request. It's worth calling ahead and seeing if yours will too!
Old Nov 20, 2011, 11:26 am

Works for me

I have this problem as well and have found what works for me.

Each night before going to bed, I splash water around the room on the carpet, especially near the bed from a water bottle or cup; probably about 3 or 4 cups in total. Goal is almost a sprinkling around the carpet near the bed/room to evaporate overnight. In dry heat or dry conditions, I've found it is all evaporated in the morning and prevents the complications you describe. (I attempt to do saline spray during the day, but often forget).
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:26 pm

Programs: Hilton, AA,, Delta
Himeself used to travel 100% of the time and had this problem. I found a small vaporizer that would fit in his carryon. Problem solved. he used it in most hotels and it made a tremendous difference. Vaporizers can be found cheaply. Look around and see when they go on sale, you can still find them for $10-15 in some places.

Last edited by MoreMilesPlease; Nov 20, 2011 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:40 pm

Programs: UA dirt... and btw, THE innovator of the phrase 'gate lice'. Yeah, that's right.
Originally Posted by slawecki
you should be able to ship your personal humidifier to the hotel or your booth. i have shipped stuff to customers at very modest hotels and it got there. if this is a big trade show, ups shippments are difficult. ups wants to charge a fee and so does the show.
Bingo.
I presume the company is shipping stuff over for your company's booth. Simply toss in your own humidifier and have shipped back with booth.
Old Nov 20, 2011, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Travel humidifier, uses standard drinking water bottles:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...e_Free_Listing

Instead of saline spray I use Nasal gel, it is a water base lubricating gel I use in my nose. It stays in the nose as opposed to saline which drips away:
http://www.cvs.com/CVSApp/catalog/sh...ump&navCount=3

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.