Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
14. It's 1974 and you are back in L.A. You need to travel to Amarillo but cannot depart until the evening. No problem! Here's a daily flight departing LAX at 6:00 pm that arrives at AMA at 11:25 pm. Two stops will be made and dinner will be served en route. Name the airline, the equipment and the two stops in the order in which they will be made.

How about Texas International operating a DC9 LAX-ABQ-Roswell-AMA
14. So close! But no cigar! Please guess again, sir!
Old Sep 26, 2017, 3:41 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jlemon
Ah, those were the days of the Proud Bird with the Golden Tail....
They certainly were... flying at its finest. I was only able to fly aboard Continental's 747 once (in economy, unfortunately) but if I recall correctly, the four rooms (with lounge if applicable) were:

First Class: Kamehameha Room (Diamond Head Lounge, later Oceania Lounge)
Coach Class Kabuki Room (Shared use of the Polynesian Pub)
Coach Class Bougainville Room (Shared use of the Polynesian Pub)
Economy Class Micronesia Room (Ponape Lounge)

Bonus Question: What was the difference between Coach and Economy Class?
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
on CO's LAX<-->PHX flights, which I took maybe half a dozen times between Sep 1976 and Jul 1977, Y (coach, $46) had meal service where K (economy, $39) did not

I also seem to recall that there were 36 K seats in the aft cabin on those 72Ss: the first two or three rows and a bunch at the back, near the lavs and galley
Old Sep 26, 2017, 4:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
8. Now it's 1969 and you are Burbank. You are about to travel to Santa Barbara for a visit with your old sailing buddy. Of course, you could drive or take the train but are prepared instead to drive to LAX and take a United 727 on the short hop up to SBA. Then your old friend tells you about a nonstop service to SBA from BUR. It's operated with a jet and he says the flying time is only 19 minutes. You book a seat and off you go. Identify the airline and the jet aircraft type.
1969 would have been shortly after the three way merger that formed Air West out of Bonanza, Pacific, and West Coast. I'm going to guess that BUR-SBA was an Air West flight operated by a DC-9.

Originally Posted by Herb687
It's 1987. What US airline operated a flight that departed from the USA, stopped outside the USA, and then landed back in a US territory? Name the airline, routing, and equipment.
Well, I think you are actually on the right track here concerning Northwest. And wasn't NW also operating the B747-200 by 1987? So perhaps the routing was SFO-NRT-GUM. There's my guess....
It's 1987. What US airline operated a flight that departed from the USA, stopped outside the USA, and then landed back in a US territory? Name the airline, routing, and equipment.

Back in 1979 I flew on the same flight aboard Allegheny that routed CLE-YYZ-BOS.

And in 1983, Western used to fly ANC-YYC-DEN

However, as the question specifically mentions a "U.S. territory", how about Hawaiian Airlines flying Honolulu - Rarotonga - Pago Pago using a DC-8-62...
Interesting the AL and WA flights that operated USA-Canada-USA. Were they allowed to carry revenue traffic between the US origin and destination via the stopover in Canada or did that run afoul of cabotage or other laws?

I'm not sure if NW ever operated same plane or through flight service between US50 points and GUM via NRT.

Regardless, the 1987 flight to which I was referring did not involve an intermediate stop in Canada or Japan. Seat 2A you are very warm; so close you can almost taste the mai-tais.

The flight in question was a Hawaiian Airlines DC-8-62 and it operated HNL-XXX-PPG but the intermediate stop was not RAR.

Last edited by Herb687; Sep 26, 2017 at 4:49 pm
Old Sep 26, 2017, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
1969 would have been shortly after the three way merger that formed Air West out of Bonanza, Pacific, and West Coast. I'm going to guess that BUR-SBA was an Air West flight operated by a DC-9.

I'm not sure if NW ever operated same plane or through flight service between US50 points and GUM via NRT.
8. Hughes Airwest was not yet in existence in 1969; however, the predecessor air carrier, Air West, was. But this service was not operated by Air West and the equipment was not a DC-9-10 or DC-9-30.

Meanwhile, time to check an old schedule...ah, there it is: a 1987 Northwest Airlines system timetable.....

NW 27: Minneapolis/St. Paul (MSP) 9:20a - 11:12a San Francisco (SFO) 12:10p - 2:50p Tokyo (NRT) 8:55p - 1:20a Guam (GUM)
Op: MSP-NRT daily, NRT-GUM Fridays only
Equip: 747

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:23 am
Old Sep 27, 2017, 5:50 am

Programs: BA

The flight in question was a Hawaiian Airlines DC-8-62 and it operated HNL-XXX-PPG but the intermediate stop was not RAR.
Apia ?

Interesting the AL and WA flights that operated USA-Canada-USA. Were they allowed to carry revenue traffic between the US origin and destination via the stopover in Canada or did that run afoul of cabotage or other laws?
The presence of US preclearance would mean that passengers airside are effectively in the USA as far as bureaucracy is concerned. You would not be able to do this at a Canadian airport which did not have preclearance.

Cabotage would not impact a US carrier doing this. It would however impact Air Canada doing the same thing on the same routing.

For a long time London to Hong Kong was not only served just by British Airways, but until 1997 it was a UK cabotage route and thus nobody else could even offer connections via points along the way. The scheduled operators were liberalised from this in 1980 (still only UK/Hong Kong airlines allowed), but back in the 1970s there was a considerable charter flight traffic between the two at fares less than BA; people were regularly surprised at the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong to see British Caledonian and Laker 707s there, and even some lesser operators few here will have heard of, such as Lloyd International or Dan-Air, both with their old Pan Am turbojet 707s.
Old Sep 27, 2017, 1:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM

The presence of US preclearance would mean that passengers airside are effectively in the USA as far as bureaucracy is concerned. You would not be able to do this at a Canadian airport which did not have preclearance.

Cabotage would not impact a US carrier doing this. It would however impact Air Canada doing the same thing on the same routing.

For a long time London to Hong Kong was not only served just by British Airways, but until 1997 it was a UK cabotage route and thus nobody else could even offer connections via points along the way. The scheduled operators were liberalised from this in 1980 (still only UK/Hong Kong airlines allowed), but back in the 1970s there was a considerable charter flight traffic between the two at fares less than BA; people were regularly surprised at the old Kai Tak airport in Hong Kong to see British Caledonian and Laker 707s there, and even some lesser operators few here will have heard of, such as Lloyd International or Dan-Air, both with their old Pan Am turbojet 707s.
If my memory serves me correctly, passengers flying on Northwest Orient's direct 727 service between Minneapolis/St. Paul and Anchorage via an intermediate stop at Edmonton International were not permitted to deplane at YEG. And by staying on board the aircraft at Edmonton, I believe no Canadian customs formalities were required.

Plus, I just recalled another route between two U.S. destinations where flights operated by U.S. based air carriers stopped in Canada: Fairbanks (FAI) - Whitehorse (YXY) - Juneau (JNU).

In 1974, Wien Air Alaska was flying this route Monday through Friday with a Fairchild F-27 and by 1977 the airline was operating the same route twice a week on Fridays and Sundays with a Boeing 737-200.

And back in 1963, Pan Am was operating a Douglas DC-6B (which PA called the "Super 6 Clipper") twice a week JNU-YXY-FAI. This flight actually originated in SEA and was flown daily with a Boeing 707 on a routing of Seattle - Ketchikan (via the Annette Island Airport) - Juneau. There was an equipment change to the DC-6B at JNU with the same flight number being used for the continuing service on Wednesdays and Saturdays.

Last edited by jlemon; Sep 28, 2017 at 7:58 am Reason: WC & PA: FAI-YXY-JNU
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:35 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767
Bonus Question: What was the difference between (Continental's) Coach and Economy Class?

On CO's LAX<-->PHX flights, which I took maybe half a dozen times between Sep 1976 and Jul 1977, Y (coach, $46) had meal service where K (economy, $39) did not

Correct. Meal vs. no meal. On Continental's Hawaii flights, Economy passengers could pay an extra $10.00 and get a pretty substantial boxed meal. Also, Economy Class passengers on the 747 did not have access to the Polynesian Pub but did have their own smaller Ponape Lounge.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 6:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Seat 2A you are very warm; so close you can almost taste the mai-tais.

Hmm... I don't know if HA flew there, but since you say we're close, let's try Apia, Western Samoa. I remember flying out of there at sunset one evening aboard an Air New Zealand 767. Beautiful. Classic South Pacific splendor. Dang! The memories are making me thirsty! I gotta go off and find me a Mai Tai!
Old Sep 28, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jrl767
on CO's LAX<-->PHX flights, which I took maybe half a dozen times between Sep 1976 and Jul 1977, Y (coach, $46) had meal service where K (economy, $39) did not.
Correct. Meal vs. no meal. ...
those flights were CO68, the 0700 eastbound departure, and typically CO65, the 1730 return ... even in my first year in the corporate workforce, I could see that the company didn't need to pay for food I wasn't interested in eating (and what was for me a less desirable seat at least a couple rows farther back ) ... but it was always a non-trivial process to have my group's travel admin person book me in K instead of Y
Old Sep 29, 2017, 2:30 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass

6. This U.S. based air carrier placed deposits in 1968 for a new aircraft with the announcement it would acquire six of the type. The airline in question had big plans for these new airplanes. However, it never took delivery of any of them and there was very good reason for this. Name the airline and the aircraft. Aircraft was the Boeing 2707 SST. Still looking for the airline which wasn't AA.

10. Name the only airline that was operating scheduled passenger service from Houston Hobby Airport (HOU) in February of 1970.
6. How about Delta Airlines?

10. Houston Metro Airlines operating cross town shuttle service between HOU and IAH.

Last edited by teddybear99; Sep 29, 2017 at 2:47 am Reason: added guess to number 6 so as not to have multiple posts
Old Sep 29, 2017, 4:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by WHBM
BA's charter arm, British Airtours would operate 707s (believe BAH was the intermediate/refuelling stop) on that route while BA scheduled operated 742s. Believe the charter was some bucket shop that also would book the last section of a 747. As a comparison, APEX fares between LHR and HKG ran ~GBP500 in that era (mid-late '70s) while fares to SIN (on a variety of airlines including SN and SR) ran ~GBP 350.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 6:16 am

After a hiatus of three weeks, I'm back on this forum. Now that I've been to all 50 states, I'm going around the country again to tour all 50 state capitol buildings. During my hiatus, I flew to Tallahassee, Florida, on a routing of AA to FLL, Silver FLL-TPA-TLH, then Delta back home. The Florida state capitol building was one of the least interesting that I've toured; it is a 23 story high rise that is as charming as a bank call center. However, while I was in TLH, I toured Wakula Springs State Park, where I saw manatees, alligators, and more than 20 types of birds.

Anyway, back to the quiz.

My guess for the circtuitous route from BDA to JFK would be DL via BOS and BDL, on a 727-200.

For the mystery 2707 operator, I'll guess World Airways. World placed options on 6, in hopes of getting scheduled authority between the USA, Hawaii, and Asia / Oceana.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 9:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by teddybear99
6. How about Delta Airlines?

10. Houston Metro Airlines operating cross town shuttle service between HOU and IAH.
6. Ah, the air carrier in question was not Delta Air Lines.

10. Correct! In February of 1970, Clear Lake City (CLC)-based Houston Metro Airlines (HY) was operating fourteen round trip flights every weekday with DHC-6 Twin Otter equipment between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Houston Intercontinental (IAH) with three round trips on Saturdays and nine round trips on Sundays. Block time between HOU and IAH was ten minutes. Walk up fare was $9.50 one way for adults with military and kids under 12 being charged one half of the fare.

At this same time, Houston Metro was flying 24 weekday round trip flights between Clear Lake City and IAH with the Twin Otter. Block time between CLC and IAH was fifteen minutes and the walk up fare was $10.00. On Saturdays, the three flights between Hobby and Intercontinental actually operated CLC-HOU-IAH. BTW, I went to high school in the Clear Lake area with a young lady whose father was one of the founders of Houston Metro and got a tour of the Clear Lake City STOLport when it was under construction. Houston Metro built and owned this compact little airfield which was located in a former cow pasture adjacent to Clear Lake City not far from the NASA Manned Spacecraft Center (since renamed the Johnson Space Center). I subsequently flew CLC-IAH a number of times.

Thus, Houston Metro was the first air carrier to once again serve Houston Hobby following the opening of Houston Intercontinental in 1969 when all of the airlines serving HOU moved their flights to IAH. Southwest Airlines was the first air carrier to resume jet service at Hobby on November 14, 1971.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
After a hiatus of three weeks, I'm back on this forum. Now that I've been to all 50 states, I'm going around the country again to tour all 50 state capitol buildings. During my hiatus, I flew to Tallahassee, Florida, on a routing of AA to FLL, Silver FLL-TPA-TLH, then Delta back home. The Florida state capitol building was one of the least interesting that I've toured; it is a 23 story high rise that is as charming as a bank call center. However, while I was in TLH, I toured Wakula Springs State Park, where I saw manatees, alligators, and more than 20 types of birds.

Anyway, back to the quiz.

My guess for the circuitous route from BDA to JFK would be DL via BOS and BDL, on a 727-200.

For the mystery 2707 operator, I'll guess World Airways. World placed options on 6, in hopes of getting scheduled authority between the USA, Hawaii, and Asia / Oceana.
Welcome back, Joe!

6. An excellent guess, sir! However, the air carrier we are looking for here wasn't World Airways and I've now amended this quiz item as the airline we are looking for was operating scheduled passenger service at the time. Of course, the bulk of our quiz items concern sched pax service and I do not think World was operating sched service at this time, although they certainly did so later.

15. Delta operating BDA-BOS-BDL-JFK is correct! However, not with a Boeing 727-200! Please guess again concerning the equipment!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.