Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
22. Identify an airline that was operating Lockheed L-188 Electra service into Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) in 1973.

After almost 15 minutes, this page finally loaded! A new record in internet sluggishness, perhaps...

The obvious choice would be Eastern Airlines but me thinks that's too obvious. Let's go with Flamingo Airlines which also operated Electras around the Bahamas.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
Could this be Pan Am ? In which case it would be on a DC-6B, stopping at Brownsville on the way.
21. Si! Pan Am with a stop in Brownsville is correcto-mundo, senor! However, the equipment operated on this flight was not a "Douglas Super-6 Clipper" DC-6B, it was actually a DC-4. And I also screwed up with the schedule as I used the southbound departure and arrival times from HOU to MEX. Here's the real northbound sched....

PA 518: Mexico City (MEX) 2:15p - 4:30p Brownsville (BRO) 5:00p - 6:45p Houston Hobby (HOU)
Op: Tuesdays and Thursdays only
Equip: DC-4

Pan Am was also operating daily nonstop Boeing 707 "Jet Clipper" service between Mexico City and Houston at this time. Here are the complete northbound scheds.....

PA 502: Panama City Tocumen (PTY) 10:00a - 10:30a San Jose (SJO) 10:40a - 11:40a Managua (MGA) 12:10p - 12:55p Tegucigalpa (TGU) 1:05p - 1:50p San Salvador (SAL) 2:20p - 3:00p Guatemala City (GUA) 4:30p - 6:10p Mexico City (MEX) 7:00p - 8:45p Houston Hobby (HOU)
Op: Daily except Sundays and Wednesdays
Equip: DC-6B PTY-GUA, 707 GUA-HOU

PA 502: Panama City Tocumen (PTY) 3:45p - 3:45p San Jose (SJO) 4:15p - 5:35p Guatemala City (GUA) 6:30p - 8:10p Mexico City (MEX) 9:00p - 10:45p Houston Hobby (HOU)
Op: Sundays and Wednesdays only
Equip: 707

And now to the lawnmower......

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 17, 2017 at 9:52 am Reason: additional info
Old Jun 17, 2017, 9:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
22. Identify an airline that was operating Lockheed L-188 Electra service into Nassau, Bahamas (NAS) in 1973.

After almost 15 minutes, this page finally loaded! A new record in internet sluggishness, perhaps...

The obvious choice would be Eastern Airlines but me thinks that's too obvious. Let's go with Flamingo Airlines which also operated Electras around the Bahamas.
22. Correct, mon! In 1973, Flamingo Air Lines (FQ) was operating "Super Lockheed Electra Jet-Prop" service on interisland routes in the Bahamas between Nassau (NAS) and The Bight (BIF), Deadman's Cay (LGI), Freeport (FPO), George Town (GGT), Inagua (INA), San Salvador (ZSA) and Stella Maris (SML). Flamingo was also flying one international route at this time with the Electra between Nassau and Port-au-Prince (PAP). With the exception of the Nassau-Freeport service, none of these flights were operated on a daily basis and most of the above destinations in the Bahamas only saw the Electra several times a week.

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 17, 2017 at 10:16 am Reason: additional info
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:21 am

Programs: BA
Both the F28 series 1000 and series 4000 as operated by USAir in 1992 were configured with just four seats in first class in a 2-2 layout.
Curiously, I encountered such a configuration on another occasion.

Aer Lingus bought a fleet of 737-500s in the 1990s. As standard in Europe, they were fitted with convertible seats at the front, adjusted with a winding handle (or strong arms) between 3+3 and wider 2+2 with a small area in the middle where the centre seat was. The seat covers were green (of course), with quotations from Irish writers (Oscar Wilde; George Bernard Shaw, etc) written all across in an old script handwriting. It used to be an entertainment during the flight to make out what was written. I was in an EI -500 from Cork to Paris, during an extended business trip around Europe one time.

They were eventually replaced by A320s, and sold to Pulkovo Airlines (nowadays Rossiya) of St Petersburg, Russia, still with Irish registrations. For some years they ran to London, replacing the Tupolev Tu154 (shame). Economy class only, they kept those same green seats with the Irish literary quotes. Goodness knows what Russian travellers on domestic flights made of this. So they came back into my regular orbit. One Saturday morning, we were boarding at St Petersburg to head back to London, and surprisingly just the front row had been wound to the old C class configuration. Anyone who eyed these as they boarded was shooed past by the flight attendants, in their notably stylish new pale blue uniforms which Pulkovo had done by a Paris fashion house. When all seated, in comes the Governor of St Petersburg, Valentina Matviyenko, in those days about No 8 in the Russian political hierarchy, who took her seat at the front. You know craning of necks from down the cabin when someone prominent boards. That was there. And then the otherwise redundant green curtain was pulled across, and on we went. Just 4 premium seats. And one such passenger.
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Aer Lingus bought a fleet of 737-500s in the 1990s.... The seat covers were green (of course), with quotations from Irish writers (Oscar Wilde; George Bernard Shaw, etc) written all across in an old script handwriting....They were eventually replaced by A320s, and sold to Pulkovo Airlines.....Economy class only, they kept those same green seats with the Irish literary quotes. Goodness knows what Russian travellers on domestic flights made of this. ....When all seated, in comes the Governor of St Petersburg, Valentina Matviyenko, in those days about No 8 in the Russian political hierarchy, who took her seat at the front.....And then the otherwise redundant green curtain was pulled across, and on we went. Just 4 premium seats. And one such passenger.
Folks, this is what makes the OTAQ&D truly memorable.

Many thanks, WHBM!
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:44 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jlemon

1. In 1966 this airline's timetable featured an artist's rendition of a Caravelle in its livery. However, this air carrier was operating all of its international flights with Douglas DC-6 aircraft at the time. The airline in question, which was not based in the U.S. but was based in the western hemisphere, never operated the Caravelle but did eventually operate several jet aircraft types in later years. Name this air carrier. ANSWERED

3. In 1968, this airline ran a print ad entitled "We'll rent you a set of wheels all week for $65." A car was not included with this offer. Name the airline that ran this ad and describe what the offer was. ANSWERED
Last call for the above two! And should there be no takers, I shall provide the answers tomorrow.....

Last edited by jlemon; Jun 18, 2017 at 7:53 am Reason: answer updates
Old Jun 17, 2017, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3. In 1968, this airline ran a print ad entitled "We'll rent you a set of wheels all week for $65." A car was not included with this offer. Name the airline that ran this ad and describe what the offer was. The photo accompanying this ad was of a jet's landing gear
3- was this perhaps a variant on Mohawk's $29 "Weekend Unlimited" deal that was in place around this time? among the local service carriers operating jets in 1968, I think they had about the smallest service area
Old Jun 17, 2017, 5:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
3- was this perhaps a variant on Mohawk's $29 "Weekend Unlimited" deal that was in place around this time? among the local service carriers operating jets in 1968, I think they had about the smallest service area
3. No, it was not Mohawk. However, you are on the right track as the airline in question was a local service air carrier in the U.S. operating jets and turboprops. Please guess again!

And the thread started by Seat 2A over five years ago continues to roll on as we have now surpassed 11,000 replies here on the OTAQ&D and are now closing in on 692,000 views......
Old Jun 17, 2017, 10:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
3- I'm going to presume we're not talking about the intra-state carriers (PSA, Aloha, Hawaiian); I'm also ruling out Alaska, even though I don't think it was considered a "local service air carrier" per se

among the local service carriers, neither Central nor Lake Central had jets; based on size of service area, I'd take Allegheny, Frontier, North Central, and Piedmont out of consideration

so that leaves us with Bonanza, Pacific, and West Coast (prior to their mid-1968 consolidation into Air West) ... the idea of a week of unlimited system-wide travel seems to fit BL's network better than either PC or WC
Old Jun 17, 2017, 11:37 pm

Programs: EY Gold, QF WP
1. In 1966 this airline's timetable featured an artist's rendition of a Caravelle in its livery. However, this air carrier was operating all of its international flights with Douglas DC-6 aircraft at the time. The airline in question, which was not based in the U.S. but was based in the western hemisphere, never operated the Caravelle but did eventually operate several jet aircraft types in later years. Name this air carrier.
Canadian Pacific Airlines?
Old Jun 18, 2017, 2:27 am

Programs: BA
1. In 1966 this airline's timetable featured an artist's rendition of a Caravelle in its livery. However, this air carrier was operating all of its international flights with Douglas DC-6 aircraft at the time. The airline in question, which was not based in the U.S. but was based in the western hemisphere, never operated the Caravelle but did eventually operate several jet aircraft types in later years. Name this air carrier.
Hmm. Still on the DC6 in 1966. So no turboprops. But came to jets later, so an established carrier. International flights. Western hemisphere. Didn't have the Caravelle but it would have (presumably) suited their route structure.

And, just maybe, a carrier who got mentioned recently and got the attention of our quizmaster. And knowing them, an explicit DC-6 (so secondhand from a US carrier), not the more common DC-6B. And possibly in 1966 would be principally up against Pan Am to Miami etc, and who were still running the DC-6B until that year on shorter runs, when their 727s came along.

Aviateca of Guatemala ?

Last edited by WHBM; Jun 18, 2017 at 2:35 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:02 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
23. In 1975, this airline was operating a nonstop flight from McAllen (MFE) to an international destination twice a week. And yes, the destination was in Mexico but the service did not depart to Mexico City or Monterrey. Name the air carrier, the destination and the equipment flown on the route.
How about Texas International on a DC9-10 to Vera Cruz, Mexico.

24. In 1978, this air carrier filed with the CAB for passenger authority from Chicago Midway Airport (MDW) to 23 cities. The operator stated in its annual report at the time that used Boeing 727-100 aircraft as well as a new twin jet type would be used for the new service. It then subsequently ordered and took delivery of new Boeing 737-200 equipment. However, it never commenced the planned new passenger service from Midway. Name the air carrier.
How about Midway-Southwest Airlines, which was a startup on paper only at the time. It was going to be a subsidiary of Southwest Airlines. The airline never came to fruition and the planes ordered eventually went to Southwest Airlines.

Last edited by teddybear99; Jun 18, 2017 at 4:20 am Reason: COmbining two posts into one
Old Jun 18, 2017, 4:27 am

Programs: DL Skymiles KE Skypass
Here is a question for all:

In 1967, this airline started a new route from Seattle through St. Louis, which they were using as a "gateway to the west" as well as a "gateway to the east." They named this route "The Space Corridor."

Where did this flight terminate and name the two stops in between St. Louis and the termination city?

Last edited by teddybear99; Jun 18, 2017 at 4:33 am
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
3- I'm going to presume we're not talking about the intra-state carriers (PSA, Aloha, Hawaiian); I'm also ruling out Alaska, even though I don't think it was considered a "local service air carrier" per se

among the local service carriers, neither Central nor Lake Central had jets; based on size of service area, I'd take Allegheny, Frontier, North Central, and Piedmont out of consideration

so that leaves us with Bonanza, Pacific, and West Coast (prior to their mid-1968 consolidation into Air West) ... the idea of a week of unlimited system-wide travel seems to fit BL's network better than either PC or WC
3. An excellent round up of local service as well as intrastate air carriers in the U.S. back in 1968, sir. However, you missed one so there is your clue.
Old Jun 18, 2017, 7:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Reds2011
Canadian Pacific Airlines?
1. Nope, it was not CP.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.