Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2015, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
I'll try this once again....

Quiz Items From The 1980's.....Continued

The time line for all of the following quiz items is 1983.....and please limit your answers to two and no more than three items at a time so that all may participate. Thanks!

40. Three airlines were operating nonstop service between Nadi, Fiji and Honolulu at this time. None of these flights were operated on a daily basis. Identify all three air carriers and aircraft type each operated on the route. ANSWERED

41. Only one airline was operating daily direct service from London Heathrow (LHR) to Honolulu (HNL) at this time. One intermediate stop was made en route. Name the air carrier and identify the intermediate stop as well as the equipment. ANSWERED

42. Two airlines were operating Boeing 727-100 service into Honolulu at this time. One of the air carriers was Continental Micronesia flying 727 combi aircraft on their "Island Hopper" service. Name the other airline. And for bonus points, also identify the nonstop route into HNL flown by the air carrier in question which was only operated once a week. ANSWERED

43. At this same time, two air carriers were flying Boeing 737-200 service into Honolulu. One of these airlines was Aloha operating the 737 on interisland flights. Name the other air carrier. And for bonus points, also identify the nonstop route into HNL operated by the airline in question which was only flown once a week. ANSWERED

44. Seven (7) airlines were operating nonstop service between Anchorage (ANC) and Tokyo (NRT). Name all seven airlines. ANSWERED

45. Western Airlines was operating nonstop service into Calgary (YYC) from seven (7) different destinations at this time. The same aircraft type was utilized on all of these flights. Identify all seven nonstop routes as well as the equipment. ANSWERED

46. Two airlines were flying nonstop between Houston Hobby (HOU) and Dallas/Fort Worth International (DFW). One air carrier operated two different aircraft types and the other operated just one type. Name both airlines and identify the equipment flown on the route by each. ANSWERED

47. Five airlines were operating nonstop service from San Antonio (SAT) to Houston Intercontinental (IAH). Three of these air carriers were major airlines with two of the carriers operating two different aircraft types while the third operated only one type on the route. The fourth airline operated both jet and turboprop equipment and was actually flying on behalf of another air carrier. And the fifth airline only operated one flight a week with a small turboprop. Name all five air carriers and identify the respective aircraft they operated from SAT to IAH. ANSWERED

48. If you wanted to fly direct to Africa from Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time, there was only one airline to call. This flight also made an intermediate stop en route to its final destination. Identify the airline, the final destination, the intermediate stop and the equipment it flew on the route. ANSWERED

49. Only one airline was flying nonstop jet service from Utica (UCA) to New York LaGuardia (LGA) with one flight a day operated five days a week on the weekdays. Identify this air carrier and the jet type. ANSWERED

50. Three major airlines were operating nonstop service from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Washington Dulles (IAD). Each air carrier operated one daily flight with different equipment being used by each. Name all three airlines and identify the three different aircraft types flown on the route. ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Jan 2, 2016 at 11:56 am Reason: fine tuning & answer updates
Old Dec 15, 2015, 6:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by jlemon
The time line for all of the following quiz items is 1983...
49. Only one airline was flying nonstop jet service from Utica (UCA) to New York LaGuardia (LGA) with one flight a day operated five days a week on the weekdays. Identify this air carrier and the jet type.
49- gotta be Empire (UR) with a Fokker F28

50. Three major airlines were operating nonstop service from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Washington Dulles (IAD). Each air carrier operated one daily flight with different equipment being used by each. Name all three airlines and identify the three different aircraft types flown on the route.
50- I'm pretty sure of Northwest with a sunrise 747 (continuing to Chicago and Tokyo), and Pan Am with an early evening 727/72S (to provide connections off the afternoon bank of TATL arrivals) ... as for the third, perhaps the old Southern service, now in Republic livery on a DC9-10?
Old Dec 15, 2015, 11:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Dark and -7 here at latitude 65N. A beautiful winter night!

40. Three airlines were operating nonstop service between Nadi, Fiji and Honolulu at this time. None of these flights were operated on a daily basis. Identify all three air carriers and aircraft type each operated on the route.

Let's go with:

Continental DC-10
CP Air DC-10
Air New Zealand 747

42. Two airlines were operating Boeing 727-100 service into Honolulu at this time. One of the air carriers was Continental Micronesia flying 727 combi aircraft on their "Island Hopper" service. Name the other airline. And for bonus points, also identify the nonstop route into HNL flown by the air carrier in question which was only operated once a week.

As a postcard collector, I not only have the postcard but I'm about 94.79% certain that the airline in question was Air Tungaru, operating to Christmas Island and on to Kiribati. Some years later the Honolulu to Christmas Island route was taken up by Aloha with a 737-200 and possibly even South Pacific Island Airways with a 707. Paging Tony! The only other Pacific island based 727-100 operator that comes to mind is Air Nauru and I'm fairly certain they never flew into Honolulu.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 6:58 am

Programs: BA
41. Only one airline was operating daily direct service from London Heathrow (LHR) to Honolulu (HNL) at this time. One intermediate stop was made en route. Name the air carrier and identify the intermediate stop as well as the equipment
Pan Am 747 through San Francisco.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 7:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
45. Western Airlines was operating nonstop service into Calgary (YYC) from seven (7) different destinations at this time. The same aircraft type was utilized on all of these flights. Identify all seven nonstop routes as well as the equipment.
six likely candidates come to mind immediately
  1. Dallas
  2. Denver
  3. Edmonton
  4. Houston
  5. Los Angeles
  6. Salt Lake City
drawing a blank for #7, perhaps San Francisco?

WA may have run 737-200/-300 service into YYC at some juncture, but the long DFW/IAH/LAX flights clearly say the answer to Part B of this question is the 727-247
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by jrl767
49- gotta be Empire (UR) with a Fokker F28

50- I'm pretty sure of Northwest with a sunrise 747 (continuing to Chicago and Tokyo), and Pan Am with an early evening 727/72S (to provide connections off the afternoon bank of TATL arrivals) ... as for the third, perhaps the old Southern service, now in Republic livery on a DC9-10?
49. Correct! Empire was originally based in Utica. And a couple of years later, they were acquired by Piedmont.

50. Northwest B747 - Correct!

Pan Am B727-200 - Correct!

Republic DC9-10 - Incorrect. Hint: the aircraft flown by the airline in question was a wide body.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:15 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Dark and -7 here at latitude 65N. A beautiful winter night!

40. Three airlines were operating nonstop service between Nadi, Fiji and Honolulu at this time. None of these flights were operated on a daily basis. Identify all three air carriers and aircraft type each operated on the route.

Let's go with:

Continental DC-10
CP Air DC-10
Air New Zealand 747

42. Two airlines were operating Boeing 727-100 service into Honolulu at this time. One of the air carriers was Continental Micronesia flying 727 combi aircraft on their "Island Hopper" service. Name the other airline. And for bonus points, also identify the nonstop route into HNL flown by the air carrier in question which was only operated once a week.

As a postcard collector, I not only have the postcard but I'm about 94.79% certain that the airline in question was Air Tungaru, operating to Christmas Island and on to Kiribati. Some years later the Honolulu to Christmas Island route was taken up by Aloha with a 737-200 and possibly even South Pacific Island Airways with a 707. Paging Tony! The only other Pacific island based 727-100 operator that comes to mind is Air Nauru and I'm fairly certain they never flew into Honolulu.
40. Correct!

42. Air Tungaru (VK) is correct! Here's the northbound sched....

VK 100: Christmas Island (CXI) 3:55p - 6:55p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Mondays only
Equip: 727
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:25 am

Programs: QF LTS WP, Avis Pres Club, HH Diam.
deleted

Last edited by VH-RMD; Dec 16, 2015 at 9:26 am Reason: my answer was shown wrong as I was posting it
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by WHBM
Pan Am 747 through San Francisco.
41. Pan Am with daily 747 service is correct! However, this flight did not stop at SFO. Here's the sched.....

PA 121: Frankfurt (FRA) 12:00p - 12:40p London (LHR) 2:25p - 5:25p Los Angeles (LAX) 9:00p - 11:28p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Daily
Equip: 747

And although the OAG lists PA 121 as being a through flight, one wonders if there was actually an aircraft swap at LAX given the long layover interval.....
Old Dec 16, 2015, 9:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
six likely candidates come to mind immediately
  1. Dallas - DFW is correct!
  2. Denver - DEN is correct!
  3. Edmonton - YEG is correct!
  4. Houston - IAH is correct!
  5. Los Angeles - LAX is correct!
  6. Salt Lake City - SLC is incorrect
drawing a blank for #7, perhaps San Francisco? SFO is incorrect

WA may have run 737-200/-300 service into YYC at some juncture, but the long DFW/IAH/LAX flights clearly say the answer to Part B of this question is the 727-247
45. Yep, the B727-200 is correct as well. So we are still looking for two more routes flown nonstop by WA with the 72S into Calgary.....
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
45. Yep, the B727-200 is correct as well. So we are still looking for two more routes flown nonstop by WA with the 72S into Calgary.....
Let's go with Anchorage and Great Falls

Back in June of 1983 I used a non-rev Western pass to fly from Denver to Honolulu to Anchorage and back to Denver. Western offered a one-stop flight between Anchorage and Denver that would have looked great on my overall route map at the time. The only problem was that it departed ANC at about 100am and even back then I didn't do late night flights if I could avoid them. The stop was in... Calgary!

The route up from Great Falls is a long held WA route that I did actually fly back in April of 1976. The aircraft at that time was a 737 but - assuming GTF is correct - it could have changed to a 727-200.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 10:52 am

Programs: BA
41. Pan Am with daily 747 service is correct! However, this flight did not stop at SFO. Here's the sched.....

PA 121: Frankfurt (FRA) 12:00p - 12:40p London (LHR) 2:25p - 5:25p Los Angeles (LAX) 9:00p - 11:28p Honolulu (HNL)
Op: Daily
Equip: 747

And although the OAG lists PA 121 as being a through flight, one wonders if there was actually an aircraft swap at LAX given the long layover interval.....
There have actually been more than one court cases here in the UK about US carriers advertising "through" flights like this (TWA did it extensively as well), not so much about the need to go out through immigration etc, or moving to a different aircraft, but in situations where the inbound flight was late the onward would be dispatched on time and passengers were then treated just like any other misconnect. In at least one case the ground staff had said that as he inbound was late "due to weather" they had no responsibility for overnight costs.

An even worse case happened years ago on a holiday flight which operated from Tenerife, through Lanzarote (both Canary Islands) and on to Glasgow, then returning the same way. The flight was to take passengers home from both points to Scotland, but the airline, Aviaco with a DC-9, also sold a day trip to about 50 local passengers from Tenerife to Lanzarote, who fitted in on the outward trip, but when the aircraft returned in the evening almost everyone was heading to Tenerife. Somehow they managed to get about 20 Scottish holiday passengers off the plane, then just left them there as the flight departed full. The airline had no representation there, everyone blamed everyone else, and the passengers were stuck there for two days until the UK newspapers splashed the story. The UK Civil Aviation Authority did a huge investigation, and Aviaco seemed to disappear from the UK market the following seasons.
Old Dec 16, 2015, 11:06 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

TW (as with DL today) was notorious for change-of-gauge on the same flight number: I'm most familiar with TW701 (which I believe operated LHR-JFK with an L-1011-100, but I rode it half a dozen times from JFK to DCA/CMH with a 727/72S, and once to SEA aboard a domestic L-1011-1)
Old Dec 16, 2015, 12:27 pm

48. If you wanted to fly direct to Africa from Houston Intercontinental (IAH) at this time, there was only one airline to call. This flight also made an intermediate stop en route to its final destination. Identify the airline, the final destination, the intermediate stop and the equipment it flew on the route.

50. Three major airlines were operating nonstop service from New York Kennedy (JFK) to Washington Dulles (IAD). Each air carrier operated one daily flight with different equipment being used by each. Name all three airlines and identify the three different aircraft types flown on the route. Two out of the three airlines and aircraft types correctly identified
48. South African (SA) with a 747SP to JNB via Cape Verde's SID.

50. Gee, I flew this one... It was Western (WA) with a DC-10.

Last edited by Indelaware; Dec 16, 2015 at 12:35 pm
Old Dec 16, 2015, 2:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Let's go with Anchorage and Great Falls

Back in June of 1983 I used a non-rev Western pass to fly from Denver to Honolulu to Anchorage and back to Denver. Western offered a one-stop flight between Anchorage and Denver that would have looked great on my overall route map at the time. The only problem was that it departed ANC at about 100am and even back then I didn't do late night flights if I could avoid them. The stop was in... Calgary!

The route up from Great Falls is a long held WA route that I did actually fly back in April of 1976. The aircraft at that time was a 737 but - assuming GTF is correct - it could have changed to a 727-200.
45. Anchorage (ANC) and Great Falls (GTF) are both correct!

Western was indeed operating B727-200 service between Great Falls and Calgary at this time with two round trip flights. Here are the actual routings for the northbound flights....

WA 784: New Orleans (MSY) - Dallas/Fort Worth (DFW) - Salt Lake City (SLC) - Great Falls (GTF) - Calgary (YYC)
Equip: 72S

WA 354: San Diego (SAN) - Las Vegas (LAS) - Salt Lake City (SLC) - Great Falls (GTF) - Calgary (YYC)
Equip: 72S

Western operated service between Great Falls and Alberta province for many years. However, back in 1941, the WA service did not go to Calgary; it went to Lethbridge which was the first destination in Canada served by Western. Aircraft at the time was a Boeing 247D flying a routing of Salt Lake City - Pocatello - Idaho Falls - Butte - Helena - Great Falls - Cut Bank - Lethbridge. Passengers could then connect in Lethbridge to TCA service to Calgary and Edmonton.

However, the Anchorage-Calgary nonstop route only lasted a short time.

Last edited by jlemon; Dec 16, 2015 at 6:35 pm Reason: clarification

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.