Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Originally Posted by WHBM
Modern Air flew Convair 990s on charters around the USA and Caribbean, and also from West Berlin down to the Mediterranean. However they didn't do transatlantic flights, except for occasional deadhead repositioning between the two locations.
Good answer. Actually, there are many answers so this an interesting question but hard to answer completely.

Reno Air had routes from Reno but also a separate Gulf Coast operation with a few flights to Biloxi, Mississippi. American later acquired Reno Air.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by WHBM
DC8 N8064U had been retired by United in 1980, and the leasing company hired it out to Cayman from 29 May 1984 until December 1984. It was painted up in a full Cayman livery. Leasing rates for such an aircraft were doubtless quite cheap. At the end of this period it moved on down to Peru, where it was finally scrapped in 1994.

There are several pictures of it with Cayman on the web, all taken at Miami at various times within this. As this was Cayman's prime scheduled destination my expectation is they needed to add temporary capacity to their schedules, meeting a traffic peak, aircraft off for a major check, etc. Still on the US register so presumably the pilots were from the big pool of freelances in Miami.
WHBM, thank you for your excellent response.

It appears that Cayman Airways operated charters to a number of U.S. cities that did not receive scheduled service including ATL, BWI, DTW, EWR, MSP, ORD, PHL and STL. Perhaps the DC-8 was utilized to provide some of these charter flights as well.

Last edited by jlemon; Feb 18, 2012 at 4:19 pm Reason: City/airport addition
Old Feb 18, 2012, 2:52 pm
Suspended

Programs: Dinner recommendations: pork!
Correct answers mean I can ask questions!

Not a question: Remember getting seat assignments at the gate where the agent would have a seat map with stickers. If they assigned a seat, they removed a sticker and put in on your boarding pass. They had those in the mid-1980's. By the late 1980's, they were mostly gone.

New Question

1. What U.S. airlines flew 747SP? I happened to be lucky enough to fly aboard them on two airlines!

2. Can you help me with some personal research? I flew aboard a morning Lufthansa flight from London (Heathrow) to Munich (Riem, now closed) in June, 1984. Was it a 737-100, by any chance?
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Well, let's see what hasn't yet been answered...

6) What airline operated B707 service between New York (JFK) and the former international airport for Montreal (Mirabel)?

Please pardon me if I throw in a little color commentary... I booked this flight on a day when it was showing to be operated by a 707. We're talking back in 1985. I'd booked First Class because F on RAM was cheaper than Y on AA or AC. Imagine my disappointment to show up at Mirabel (Flew in on a CSA IL-62 the night before) to find my flight being operated with an ex-SAA 747SP! First Class was upstairs and in lieu of sleeper seats, the flight attendants brought out these portable ottomans.

7) What airline operated B720 service nonstop between Honolulu and Oakland, California?

I'm thinking Western. Interestingly, in the early 1970s Western operated some of its 720Bs and even 707-320s in an all Y configuration on those Hawaii flights.

10) What is length and location of the shortest runway ever served by a jet aircraft type operated by Alaska Airlines?

Again, just a little color commentary - Pen Air took over the Dutch Harbor flights, operating SAAB 340s. Back in 1994 I flew into Dutch from St. Paul island aboard a Reeve Aleutian Electra. What a great airplane for Aleutian travel!

BTW, People Express offered those $99.00 SFO-BRU flights. I remember we all thought it was crazy at the time. One thing alot of folks may not know is that PE later offered First Class service aboard its 747 shortly before their demise.

People Express First Class

Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
2. Can you help me with some personal research? I flew aboard a morning Lufthansa flight from London (Heathrow) to Munich (Riem, now closed) in June, 1984. Was it a 737-100, by any chance?
I seem to recall reading that Lufthansa sold off its entire 737-100 fleet in the early 1980s to People Express. I think it was 1981 or 82, no later. I flew a People Express 737-130 in June of 1983.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 18, 2012 at 3:14 pm
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:21 pm

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by Cattle Airlines
Remember getting seat assignments at the gate where the agent would have a seat map with stickers. If they assigned a seat, they removed a sticker and put in on your boarding pass. They had those in the mid-1980's. By the late 1980's, they were mostly gone.

My last one (which I noted as a historic surprise; should have kept it) was on a Thomas Cook Boeing 757 flight returning from Dalaman, Turkey to London Gatwick in September 2004.

No, all Lufthansa's were retired by the end of 1982 (most sold to People Express).
One thing alot of folks may not know is that PE later offered First Class service aboard its 747 shortly before their demise.

Laker Skytrain did exactly the same in their last months. Wonder if the seat supplier ever got paid.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:39 pm
Suspended

Programs: I miss NW, TW
interesting thread!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 3:47 pm

Programs: All of them!
US Air Carriers flying 747SP----from memory, I would say--
Pan Am, American, Braniff
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
By the way, these went unanswered, so I'll provide those answers now...

1.) What airline offered Four Star Service on its longer flights across America?

United

3.) What airline offfered First Class legroom and free Champagne on all of its flights back in the 1970s?

Western Airlines ~ The only way to fly...

9.) What airline used to be known as "The Alaska Flag Line"?

Pacific Northern They were later taken over by Western

10.) What airline used to fly "The Route of The Gold Strikes"?

Bonanza

12.) What current US airline's First Class service was branded "Royal Service" back in the 1960s?

Delta Air Lines
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by cs57
And I believe United operated the B747SP as well with these aircraft being acquired from Pan Am when UA bought PA's Pacific division for a mere $750 million, if I remember correctly......
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cs57
Don't forget who Pan Am sold theirs to via the sale of its Pacific route network. Also, there was one other American flag carrier that operated them.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:33 pm

Quick round up of my own things :

2) Which two European airlines bought the Boeing Stratocruiser ?

Apart from BOAC the other purchaser was SILA, from Sweden, who shortly afterwards were rolled into SAS, which was formed from an amalgamation of the airlines from Denmark, Norway and Sweden. SILA was not the mainstream Swedish airline (this was ABA) but an independent that had been formed to operate intercontinental services. The rest of SAS didn't like the look of the Strat, and when Boeing ran into delays with the aircraft (sound familiar ?) they looked around and got BOAC to take them over on delivery.

6) What is notable in USA aviation about Northwest's BAe RJ tail number N536XJ, delivered May 2000 ?

Alas, this was the last, ever, airliner built for a USA airline in Britain. Northwest Mesaba ordered it. It only lasted with them for seven years before being sold, with the rest of the fleet, to CityJet, who base it at London City, just behind our house, whence I see it flying overhead all the time. Seat 2A will be pleased to know there are still plenty of 146/RJs from various operators to be seen here.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 4:39 pm

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
Don't forget who Pan Am sold theirs to via the sale of its Pacific route network. Also, there was one other American flag carrier that operated them.
Besides United buying Pan Am's fleet, both TWA and American had them, and they both came through London. American bought the old TWA routes through Heathrow and, caught short for long-haul types at the time, started with a real rag-bag of aircraft types, some secondhand - 747SPs, DC-10-30s, A300s, B767s. United then did the same, buying Pan Am's routes, and got a fleet of 747 classics from Qantas to operate them initially.
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

You are correct, Seat 2A, with regard to Western operating the B720 OAK-HNL. On certain days of the week, this flight would operate OAK-SJC-HNL. So one could fly on a B720 from Oakland to San Jose as this was a published route per the OAG! The one way fare OAK-SJC was $16.00.

You probably also recall this was back in the days before deregulation when WA operated their "Islander" service from a number of mainland cities to Honolulu and Hilo. Other "Islander" flights operated by Western B707-320s (B3J) and B720s (720) with all Y configurations included ANC-HNL (B3J), LAX-HNL (B3J & 720), SFO-HNL (720) and SJC-HNL (720 as mentioned above). Hilo (ITO) was also served at this time with a B720 from LAX and LAS (see below).

LAS was served on a direct, one stop and two stop basis with a B720 and B3J while MSP was served on a direct, two stop basis with a B3J. Routings were LAS-LAX-HNL (720), LAS-LAX-ITO-HNL (720) and MSP-LAS-LAX-HNL (B3J).

WA also operated the DC-10 with an F/Y configuration between the mainland and Hawaii at this time. Routings included DEN-SAN-HNL, MEX-LAX-HNL, MSP-LAX-HNL and SFO-HNL.

Western Airlines....the only way to fly!

WA certainly gave United a run for the money with regard to Hawaii service back in the day!
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:07 pm

Programs: DL,AC,HH,PC
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
TWA
Old Feb 18, 2012, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Hey Wally Bird, I think I just saw you sitting right in front of the tail on top of a Western B707-320 just a few posts above!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.