Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:08 pm

[QUOTE=Seat 2A;22394418]I'm going to be pretty busy this weekend, so I thought I'd better get a few questions out now and hopefully I can respond to them by Sunday evening.

32. If you want to fly the only 747 nonstop between Chicago and New York JFK, which airline would you call? This could be AA, TW, UA, or NW - I will guess Northwest Orient.

37. This airline enjoyed 5th Freedom rights between Detroit and Toronto. Please name the airline and the equipment operated.

Aeromexico, DC-8-50, on a MEX-DTW-YYZ route. The flight might have continued to YUL.

BA did fly DTW-YMX-LHR in the late 1980s, with full DTW-YMX traffic rights, in competition with NW's multiple flights to the much closer YUL. I flew DTW-LHR on BA in Jan 1989, and was amazed that four passengers deplaned at YMX. The next morning, I saw a "YMX" bag on LHR's bag belt; I'm sure the passenger was NOT happy that they had to wait a day for their bag to go to LHR, then back to YMX.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:11 pm

Here are my guesses for the logos:

11. East African

15. Air Malawi

18. Lot Polish

20. Air Siam

21. Gulf Air

22. Air Seychelles

23. Air Pacific

30. Sri Lankan.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:47 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Good morning, gang. It's supposed to warm up in Fairbanks this week with temperatures projected to rise into the 20s. It's not happened yet today though. The thermometer outside my window reads -8°F. That said, it's a beautiful winter day and one that I can't wait to get back out in. But first - some Q&A.

Originally Posted by WHBM

9. What was the first airline to operate trans-Atlantic flights with 727s?

Wardair

The information I have - admittedly not the most sterling - says it's American Flyers Airline, starting in early 1968.

Often times, information posted on Wikipedia serves as a starting point. Given the veracity of information or statements sometimes posted on that site, I always try to corroborate anything I see there through an independent source. Sometimes Wikipedia supplies a source, sometimes not.

In this case, when looking up information on American Flyers Airline I wasn't able to find much of obvious quality. I Googled things like - "American Flyers Airline" transatlantic 727 - or "First Transatlantic 727" but didn't find much definitive. Here's one example:

http://www.airlinercafe.com/forums.php?m=posts&q=5936

I never did see anything specifically saying Wardair was the first, only mentioning that they were one of the early operators.

Regardless, it's fun to get to the truth of the matter, so we look forward to hearing your take on this

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 24, 2014 at 2:40 pm
Old Feb 24, 2014, 1:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Million Miler, United Million Miler, Wyndham Rewards Diamond, Choice Hotels Diamond
Originally Posted by jrl767

Identify the following airline logos:

18 - LOT Polish Airlines (it actually used to be dark blue)
23 - Air Pacific

some of the logo URLs are very descriptive ...

You're right on all counts. I thought the LOT logo color was off as well but it was the only one I could find that also didn't include the words LOT in the image. As for the urls, yeah, I saw that but was hoping you all wouldn't.

Ideally, this quiz would be on paper, taken without benefit of references and/or especially the internet. No getting around that though, so one has to hope we're on our best behavior.

33. Name five airports in Massachusetts that had jet service

ok ... Boston is obvious (BOS) ^

how about two that still have jet service:
- Martha's Vineyard (MVY) ^
- Nantucket (ACK) ^

and one that did in 1969
- Worcester (ORH) ^

and one random guess
- New Bedford (EWB) The other airport was Hyannis HYA
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Icecat
[B]

34. Four airlines offered nonstop service on the 130 mile route between Providence and New York City. Please name them.

LGA - National and American
JFK - Eastern
EWR - Allegheny

Do I get extra credit for the right airports?

You get a ^^! Well done! My first ever flight on American was aboard a DC-6 between JFK and PVD. Ah... if only I could go back in time...

IDENTIFY THE FOLLOWING AIRLINE LOGOS

21- Gulf Air *it does say Gulf Air in really small print right next to the logo
22- Air Seychelles
30- Sri Lankan

Correct on all counts!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by JoeDTW

32. If you want to fly the only 747 nonstop between Chicago and New York JFK, which airline would you call?

This could be AA, TW, UA, or NW - I will guess Northwest Orient.

Good guess, Joe. And the correct one, as well. I don't recall American or TWA ever flying their 747s on the NYC-ORD route, but I did once fly a United 747 on the JFK-ORD route in 1979. It still had the upstairs lounge. I also believe UA once operated a EWR-ORD 747.

37. This airline enjoyed 5th Freedom rights between Detroit and Toronto. Please name the airline and the equipment operated.

Aeromexico, DC-8-50, on a MEX-DTW-YYZ route. The flight might have continued to YUL.

BA did fly DTW-YMX-LHR in the late 1980s, with full DTW-YMX traffic rights, in competition with NW's multiple flights to the much closer YUL.

Si, Señor! Those were good times for us Fifth Freedom junkies. Unfortunately I wasn't old enough to take advantage of them in 1972 but I did finally log a flight aboard an AeroMexico DC-8 between Acapulco and Mexico City back in 1974. Sadly, the First Class lounge area was filled with First Class seats that were apparently reserved for the crew.

Here are my guesses for the logos:

11. East African ^
15. Air Malawi ^
18. Lot Polish ^
20. Air Siam ^
21. Gulf Air ^
22. Air Seychelles ^
23. Air Pacific ^
30. Sri Lankan ^

Correct on all counts!
Old Feb 24, 2014, 2:50 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

These are the only questions left...

2. What was the original name of Northwest’s airport lounge? How much did it cost per year to join?

4. After knocking out Joe Louis in 1936, new Heavyweight Boxing Champion Max Schmelling flew home to Germany. How did he do so?

5. This airline operated the world’s first regularly scheduled, nonstop, intercontinental airline service. Name the airline, the route and the aircraft type.

6. What is currently considered the oldest operating commercial aviation airport in the world? When did it open?

7. What was the first airliner to provide regularly scheduled service between Europe and North America?

Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
Originally Posted by Seat 2A
5. This airline operated the world’s first regularly scheduled, nonstop, intercontinental airline service. Name the airline, the route and the aircraft type.
I'm going to toss out a wild guess that it was one of the predecessor airlines that were consolidated into Air France in ~1933 ... probably originated at Paris Le Bourget, stopped in southern France (Marseilles, Lyon, or perhaps Toulouse), and continued to one of the colonial cities in North Africa (Casablanca, Algiers) ... aircraft could have been a Lockheed Model 10 Electra
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:32 pm

Programs: BA

Wardair - vs - American Flyers Airline.
Wardair got their only 727, CF-FUN, in April 1966. they had been using DC-6Bs on transatlantic flights until then. They operated summer flights over to Europe, and winter flights down to Mexico, California, etc, and in fact they never got any contracts for winter 1966, so at the end of the summer season leased it out to National, but it was back in summer 1967, which is when WHBM's aunt and uncle travelled in it to Europe (and so I got to see it at Gatwick when we met them). The notable thing is they ran it not to Eastern but to Western Canada, refuelling at Sondrestrom in Greenland.

American Flyers Airlines' two 727s, N12826 and N12827, were new to them for summer 1968. These too did charters to Europe, some commercial and some military, and they too could be seen at Gatwick, in fact doubtless from time to time parked next to the Wardair one. Here are the two of them, on the same stand there (but at different times)

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Warda...fdcdf1a1645673

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Ameri...1d422ad5241104

World also started using their 727s as such in the same year. You might find that AFA was the first US carrier to use them as such, The Canadian carrier got their first 707 in 1968, but the 727 carried on for some years more, and in fact if you go back to post #3821 in this thread, you'll find that I was on it going to Vancouver in 1969 !

Anyone else cross the Atlantic in a 727 ?

Last edited by WHBM; Feb 25, 2014 at 1:35 am
Old Feb 24, 2014, 3:42 pm

I'm going to toss out a wild guess that it was one of the predecessor airlines that were consolidated into Air France in ~1933 ... probably originated at Paris Le Bourget, stopped in southern France (Marseilles, Lyon, or perhaps Toulouse), and continued to one of the colonial cities in North Africa (Casablanca, Algiers) ... aircraft could have been a Lockheed Model 10 Electra
I think you are on the right lines, Air France predecessor Aeropostale started Toulouse-Casablanca in 1919 with Latecoere aircraft. In later times they moved on to flying boats on their trans-Mediterranean routes, which lasted through to 1939.
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:09 pm

Programs: DL, AA
What is currently considered the oldest operating commercial aviation airport in the world? When did it open?]
After some research (I wasn't alive back then) my guess for the oldest operating commercial is Sydney opening Jan 1920. Rome Ciampino opened in 1916, but was a military airport during WWII, therefore I sticking with SYD.

Last edited by Icecat; Feb 24, 2014 at 8:18 pm
Old Feb 24, 2014, 8:14 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Anyone else cross the Atlantic in a 727 ?
My cousin swears she was on a Lufthansa operated 727 many years ago between the U.S. and Germany. However, I've always doubted her assertion (although I was nice enough not to take her to task ) and I've never seen an LH schedule (or info concerning possible TATL charter service operated by Lufthansa with 727) that confirmed this.......
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:00 am

Originally Posted by Seat 2A
These are the only questions left...

2. What was the original name of Northwest’s airport lounge? How much did it cost per year to join?
Northwest's original lounge was the Top Flight Club, and it was free. Prior to the 1960s, airline lounges were "by invitation only". In the late 1960s, the airlines were told to open their lounges to everyone, and were given the option of whether or not to charge dues. I believe Northwest was the only airline that had free lounge membership, although they did not advertise it.
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:46 am

Originally Posted by jlemon
My cousin swears she was on a Lufthansa operated 727 many years ago between the U.S. and Germany.
Wealthy relations, by chance ?

http://www.airliners.net/photo/Lufth...3225357b34c065
Old Feb 25, 2014, 7:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Howdy, gang! Sorry for the ellipsis in correspondence but we've run into some minor glitches with Internet service up in my little corner of the Arctic. I'm now typing from Gulliver's Bookstore out in Fairbanks. Hang on a moment if you would please while I get a refill in this coffee...

Okay then - thanks! Now, on to the questions:

I think you are on the right lines, Air France predecessor Aeropostale started Toulouse-Casablanca in 1919 with Latecoere aircraft. In later times they moved on to flying boats on their trans-Mediterranean routes, which lasted through to 1939.
The information I found to format this question came from this source at airships.net. It alleges that the Hamburg-America Line's service between Germany and Brazil in 1934 was the "first regularly scheduled, nonstop, intercontinental airline service in the history of the world." Scroll down to "South American Service" for this quote.

Could this be a question of semantics?

This is where we are fortunate to have the input of WHBM who has certainly established himself as a practically irrefutable source of information for all things airline related - at least on this thread! As such, it's hard to argue with his assertion that there was a Toulouse-Casablanca service in 1919, for that certainly meets the definition of "intercontinental". I'm guessing it may very well boil down to the use of the term "Regularly scheduled". What say you, WHBM?

2. What was the original name of Northwest’s Airport Lounge? How much did it cost per year?

Originally Posted by JoeDTW
Northwest's original lounge was the Top Flight Club, and it was free. Prior to the 1960s, airline lounges were "by invitation only". In the late 1960s, the airlines were told to open their lounges to everyone, and were given the option of whether or not to charge dues. I believe Northwest was the only airline that had free lounge membership, although they did not advertise it.
You got it, Joe! I seem to recall hearing that Ralph Nader played a role in opening up the once private airline clubs to public membership. Anyone know if there's any truth to that?

6. What is currently considered the oldest operating commercial aviation airport in the world? When did it open?

Originally Posted by Icecat
After some research (I wasn't alive back then) my guess for the oldest operating commercial is Sydney opening Jan 1920. Rome Ciampino opened in 1916, but was a military airport during WWII, therefore I sticking with SYD.
The information I have says it is a different airport, where the first flight landed in 1914 and commercial flights started in 1924. I'll leave this one out there a bit longer for discussion and supply my source a bit later as well.

Last edited by Seat 2A; Feb 26, 2014 at 12:40 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.