Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Travel&Dining > TravelBuzz
Reload this Page >

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Old Timer's Airline Quiz and Discussion.

Search this Thread

Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
And Happy Ninth Anniversary to the OTAQ&D!

On this day back in 2011, Seat 2A started what he initially thought was going to be a rather short-lived thread.

Well, we are still going strong here thanks to everyone who participates as well as those good folks who just keep track of us.

And we are now up to 20.6K replies and 1.5 million views here.
Seat 2A and strickerj like this.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 18, 2020 at 11:07 am
Old Nov 18, 2020, 11:29 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
Programs: DL PM 1.57MM; AS MVPG 100K
indeed, indeed !!

I don't recall how I discovered the thread (although I'm thinking Seat 2A made mention of it it one of his posts on the Alaska Airlines board), but I remember a wry observation at the end of my first post (# 2775) to the effect of "I can see I'm not gonna get a lot of work done today!" ... let's just say that has persisted for nearly 7.5 years
Seat 2A, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:10 pm

From a serial lurker who only knows enough to attempt an answer every once in a blue moon let me just say that this is some of my favorite reading on the web. The amount of knowledge shared here is stupendous and I thoroughly enjoy following along. Thanks to the regulars who make this thread what it is! Here's to plenty more good years.

One day, in a few decades, when questions about the 2000's are old enough to be allowed in I'll have a lot more answers to give
Seat 2A, wrp96 and strickerj like this.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Plat, lots of AA, AS, DL, UA miles, former top level CO Elite (sigh...)
Originally Posted by dfw88

One day, in a few decades, when questions about the 2000's are old enough to be allowed in I'll have a lot more answers to give
Well, sir, with that time line in mind, here's a couple of questions:

31. In the fall of 2000, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Oakland (OAK) in the S.F. Bay Area and Papeete (PPT) in Tahiti. What air carrier was operating these flights and what equipment did it use on this service? ANSWERED

32. In the fall of 2004, this air carrier announced it would introduce new Airbus A319 aircraft with flights between cities in Florida and the Washington D.C. area. By the end of year this new A319 service was up and running with service to Orlando and Tampa as well as to Boston. What airline introduced these new flights and what airport did they use in the Washington, D.C. area? ANSWERED

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 19, 2020 at 9:10 am Reason: answer updates
Old Nov 18, 2020, 12:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: SEA (the REAL Washington); occasionally in the other Washington (DCA area)
today's topics:
Originally Posted by jlemon
1975 ... 11. You are back in Las Vegas and are flying to New Orleans in first class. Your flight will make three stops en route with a circuitous routing. First you'll head east and then you'll head south. Identify the air carrier, all three stops in order and the equipment.
11- east followed by south certainly suggests United, with the latter portion being over the old Capital Airlines route from Pittsburgh/PIT and Atlanta/ATL ... I don’t recall UA running their DC-8s along those routes, so the aircraft was doubtless a 727 of some persuasion, and there are two candidate cities for the first stop ... let’s say a -222 via Denver/DEN

26. You are now in Amarillo in 1983 and are about to travel to London. You've found a very attractive coach fare with two airlines and a connection being involved. Your first flight operates daily and will be nonstop to your connecting city where you will have two hours and 10 minutes to connect. Your second flight will also be nonstop and only operates on the weekends. Identify both air carriers, the connecting city, the airport you will arrive into in the London area and different aircraft types operated on each flight.
26- from AMA, “nonstop to the connecting city” means the options are Houston/IAH, Dallas/DFW, and Denver/DEN; more significantly, “weekends only” service to London will not be aboard a major U.S. carrier, and will certainly arrive at Gatwick/LGW ... BCAL is at IAH, and American of course has the DFW monopoly, so DEN it is ... at which point you realize that the last time you flew AMA-DEN was in the spring of 1966 aboard a Central Airlines DC-3 that stopped in Pueblo and Colorado Springs, before boarding a United/Continental interchange DC-6B to Portland

coincidentally, this trip will also feature two aircraft built in Long Beach, namely a Continental Airlines DC-9 and an Arrow Air DC-8 (given that DEN-LGW is ~4700 miles, this will probably be a -62 rather than a -63, but the "D8S" code in the OAG doesn't distinguish between the two types)
Old Nov 18, 2020, 1:21 pm

32. In the fall of 2004, this air carrier announced it would introduce new Airbus A319 aircraft with flights between cities in Florida and the Washington D.C. area. By the end of year this new A319 service was up and running with service to Orlando and Tampa as well as to Boston. What airline introduced these new flights and what airport did they use in the Washington, D.C. area?
I'll have a go at that one.....

Independence Air.
They were based at Washington Dulles.
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:26 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by jrl767
today's topics: 11- east followed by south certainly suggests United, with the latter portion being over the old Capital Airlines route from Pittsburgh/PIT and Atlanta/ATL ... I don’t recall UA running their DC-8s along those routes, so the aircraft was doubtless a 727 of some persuasion, and there are two candidate cities for the first stop ... let’s say a -222 via Denver/DEN

26- from AMA, “nonstop to the connecting city” means the options are Houston/IAH, Dallas/DFW, and Denver/DEN; more significantly, “weekends only” service to London will not be aboard a major U.S. carrier, and will certainly arrive at Gatwick/LGW ... BCAL is at IAH, and American of course has the DFW monopoly, so DEN it is ... at which point you realize that the last time you flew AMA-DEN was in the spring of 1966 aboard a Central Airlines DC-3 that stopped in Pueblo and Colorado Springs, before boarding a United/Continental interchange DC-6B to Portland coincidentally, this trip will also feature two aircraft built in Long Beach, namely a Continental Airlines DC-9 and an Arrow Air DC-8 (given that DEN-LGW is ~4700 miles, this will probably be a -62 rather than a -63, but the "D8S" code in the OAG doesn't distinguish between the two types)
11. You're almost there. It was indeed United and the first stop was Denver. This flight also stopped in Pittsburgh as well. However, it did not stop in Atlanta and the equipment wasn't a B727-200. And we await the tap in.....

26. Correct! Here are the scheds.....

CO 926: Amarillo (AMA) 6:00p - 6:05p Denver (DEN)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Equip: DC9-30

Connecting to.....

JV 712/714: Denver (DEN) 8:15p - 12:15p+1 London Gatwick (LGW)
Freq: Saturdays (as JV 712) and Sundays (as JV 714) only
Service class: Y
Equip: Super DC8
Old Nov 18, 2020, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by KT550
I'll have a go at that one.....

Independence Air.
They were based at Washington Dulles.
32. Correct! Here's the Independence Air print ad.....

DHgetready04
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11- tap time (maybe)

we have a UA 727-100 operating LAS-DEN-XXX-PIT-ATL ... I have four possibilities for XXX; I don't recall UA running many hub-to-hub flights with the standard-size jets, so I'll drop Chicago/ORD from the list, throw a mental dart at the route map, and say Milwaukee/MKE
Old Nov 18, 2020, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11- tap time (maybe)

we have a UA 727-100 operating LAS-DEN-XXX-PIT-ATL ... I have four possibilities for XXX; I don't recall UA running many hub-to-hub flights with the standard-size jets, so I'll drop Chicago/ORD from the list, throw a mental dart at the route map, and say Milwaukee/MKE
11. UA B727-100: Yep! Second stop Milwaukee: Nope! And I’m sure your next guess will be through the uprights.....
Old Nov 19, 2020, 7:12 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Well, sir, with that time line in mind, here's a couple of questions:

31. In the fall of 2000, this airline was operating nonstop service once a week between Oakland (OAK) in the S.F. Bay Area and Papeete (PPT) in Tahiti. What air carrier was operating these flights and what equipment did it use on this service?
So, this is likely Corsair and it would have been on a 747 either a -200 or -300. I took Corsair LAX-PPT though all flights originated at ORY so the US stops were intermediates.
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11- ...we have a UA 727-100 operating LAS-DEN-XXX-PIT-ATL ... I have four possibilities for XXX; I don't recall UA running many hub-to-hub flights with the standard-size jets, so I'll drop Chicago/ORD from the list, throw a mental dart at the route map, and say Milwaukee/MKE
11. UA B727-100: Yep! Second stop Milwaukee: Nope! And I’m sure your next guess will be through the uprights.....
11- we're in 1975; NW was of course the dominant carrier at both Detroit/DTW and Minneapolis/MSP, so I will take aim at said space between said uprights and say Cleveland/CLE (which, had I thought about it more, should have really been my first guess ... I'm pretty sure CLE-PIT was part of the old Capital network to the southeast and Gulf Coast as well)
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:04 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Bluehen1
So, this is likely Corsair and it would have been on a 747 either a -200 or -300. I took Corsair LAX-PPT though all flights originated at ORY so the US stops were intermediates.
31. Correct! I believe the service was operated with B747-300 aircraft as I seem to recall seeing Corsair 743 aircraft in California back at this time.

And here are the Corsair (SS) west coast schedules to Papeete (PPT) and also to Paris Orly (ORY) from both Oakland (OAK) and Los Angeles (LAX) in the fall of 2000 as well as the spring of 2001:

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttim...9/ss0009-2.jpg
Old Nov 19, 2020, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

11- we're in 1975; NW was of course the dominant carrier at both Detroit/DTW and Minneapolis/MSP, so I will take aim at said space between said uprights and say Cleveland/CLE (which, had I thought about it more, should have really been my first guess ... I'm pretty sure CLE-PIT was part of the old Capital network to the southeast and Gulf Coast as well)
11. Yep! Here's the sched....

UA 244: Las Vegas (LAS) 8:35a - 11:22a Denver (DEN) 11:50a - 4:25 Cleveland (CLE) 5:15p - 5:53p Pittsburgh (PIT) 6:25p - 7:42p New Orleans (MSY)
Freq: Daily
Service classes: F/Y
Meal service: Breakfast LAS-DEN, Lunch DEN-CLE, Dinner PIT-MSY
Equip: B727-100

United was only operating nonstop service into New Orleans from Pittsburgh at this time and this was one of only two flights a day operated by UA into MSY from PIT in the spring of 1975. The other service was also flown with a B727-100 and operated a routing of CLE-PIT-MSY.

BTW, back in 1963 United was operating four daily departures from New Orleans including two flights a day operated with Boeing 720 equipment New Orleans - Atlanta - New York Idlewild, one a flight a day with a Caravelle operating New Orleans - Atlanta - Washington Dulles - Philadelphia, and one flight a day with a Vickers Viscount operating New Orleans - Chattanooga - Knoxville - Bristol/Kingsport/Johnson City - Charleston, WV - Pittsburgh - Buffalo.

Last edited by jlemon; Nov 19, 2020 at 1:53 pm Reason: additional info
Old Nov 19, 2020, 11:22 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
31. Correct! I believe the service was operated with B747-300 aircraft as I seem to recall seeing Corsair 743 aircraft in California back at this time.

And here are the Corsair (SS) west coast schedules to Papeete (PPT) and also to Paris Orly (ORY) from both Oakland (OAK) and Los Angeles (LAX) in the fall of 2000 as well as the spring of 2001:

https://www.timetableimages.com/ttim...9/ss0009-2.jpg
The flights from LAX ran until at least late 2001 as my ex and I flew to PPT from LAX on Corsair a month after 9/11. It really was a strange experience and my colleagues in Arkansas were pretty much freaking out that I was going.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.